Need Suggestions for Really Comfy $250ish Cans
Nov 9, 2010 at 4:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

jgeisen

New Head-Fier
Hello All,

First post - longtime lurker.  I'm looking for a nice set of headphones that I can wear for hours at a time, while working at my computer.  I'd like to spend less than $300. 

I mainly listen to electronic music, though not necessarily bass-heavy stuff all the time.  I like a lot of stuff that could be called "ambient" or beatless.  Some genres I enjoy are: IDM, dark ambient, modern classical, shoegaze, ethereal vocal.  I currently use a set of Sony MDR-v700s that I can only stand for roughly one hour stretches, before my ears begin to hurt from the pressure caused by the cans.  I usually use some middle-of-the-road Onkyo receiver I have to power them. 

I've tried the following:

AKG K701 - I thought these were very comfortable, but I'm not sure I was crazy about the sound.  I've heard these described as "clinical" reference cans before and I guess I would agree with that, based on my limited experience/knowledge.

Sennheiser HD 580 - These too were comfortable and I enjoyed the sound, though I don't know if I could describe it now, having listened to these quite a while back. 

Not sure if I have a preference to open vs closed really.  I suppose I'd lean toward open.  Any suggestions are quite welcome.

Thanks,
Jay

Nov 9, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #2 of 18
Maybe some Beyerdynamic DT990s.  They're pretty comfy and have a large soundstage like the K701s but with a more 'fun' sound.

If you can go used or spend a little bit more there are many people who enjoy the Sony SA5000s with electronic music.  It has good soundstage and a flatter response than the 990s but some other find it 'clinical' as well.

Nov 10, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #4 of 18
I'm not a fan of the k701 really too. I had them for over 3 years and had a few issues with them.

You probably wouldn't want to try them after the k701, but the k601 is a really good headphone for electronic music. The mids are more forward then those on the k701 and overall it's less neutral and more fun you could say.
The bass amount is the same, but even after switching to them from the D2000 i'm not disappointed. I'm aware of many people that prefer the k601 over the k701. To me, the k601 sounds more natural overall. k701 is just better for use as a studio monitor I guess. Its too bad you might not be able to demo them in a store, you'd probably like them.

I'm not suggesting this, but another favorite  headphone for me for electronic music was the SRH-840. It's too bad they made them so uncomfortable. If you can demo them and find them comfortable, then that's one option.

Be careful with some of the Beyer Dynamic headphones. Some of them are said to have recessed mids a bit, but i'll use my own ears and see for myself. The only one I can suggest is the DT-880 600 ohm, but I did like and use the DT-990 32 ohm for years somehow. Those are extremely comfortable. I found the DT-880 600ohm a bit treble happy for my poor ears and I preferred the k601 by far. Female vocals on the k601 are just amazing..

For a budget headphone that's extremely comfortable, I love the AKG k240 Studio. It's $100 and it's the most comfortable headphone ever made to me. Even better to me then any Beyer, Sennheiser or even the D2000. Mostly due to them having no clamping force. They also have more bass then the k601, which is very hard to drive.

I'm also liking my new D2000. They're not as good as the k601 for electronic music, but they're so comfortable. k601 and D2000 is the perfect pair for me. Strangely I haven't experienced any of those recessed mids yet on the D2000. Maybe I got a good pair or something. $200 for the D2000 is such a steal considering how well they're built.

Nov 10, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #6 of 18
I'll second (or third...) the Beyers. A big fan here of their comfort and sound.
Currently my D7000's are my favorite cans, but they are extremely pricy... the D2000 are relatively the same comfort level... excellent. That said the D2000 will give you quite a wollop in the bass department (for better or worse).

If big bass and Beyer is what you are looking at the DT990 is apparently the ticket, but for the most neutral sound in that price range, in the Beyers... the DT880 / 600 is where to go. The highs are mighty sparkly and the bass extension is excellent, but don't expect the same punch as the DT990. I don't find the mids recessed on the DT880, but the emphasis is definitely towards the highs.

shane

Nov 10, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #8 of 18
Most AV receivers (sure this is a huge generalization...) should be able to power the 600 Ohm Beyers without a problem. In the Beyer line there is not much difference in efficiency between the two.

Nov 10, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #9 of 18
Okay, so between all of the above mentioned cans (AKG 601/701, Beyer 880/990, Denons and Senns), which do you think would be the least fatiguing over extended stretches of listening? 

Nov 10, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #10 of 18
If peaky treble is what gives you listening fatigue like it does to me then I would probably order them from least fatiguing to most as:

HD580/600/650 > K601 > Denon Dx000 > DT880 > K701 > DT990

Nov 10, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #11 of 18
I agree with this mostly except I myself would put the k701 before the DT-880 600. I haven't listened to the k701 in 6 months though. Somehow I do remember my k702 having more treble then my old k701. Not sure why, but it could be due to my amps or that my first k701 was burned in longer. Well, guess my post is rather pointless, but oh well, I'm bored.

Surprised at how non-fatiguing the D2000 is. Even the bass doesn't really bother me. As long as I don't turn them up super loud.

Quote:
If peaky treble is what gives you listening fatigue like it does to me then I would probably order them from least fatiguing to most as:

HD580/600/650 > K601 > Denon Dx000 > DT880 > K701 > DT990

Nov 11, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
I agree with this mostly except I myself would put the k701 before the DT-880 600. <snip>  Well, guess my post is rather pointless, but oh well, I'm bored.

Surprised at how non-fatiguing the D2000 is. Even the bass doesn't really bother me. As long as I don't turn them up super loud. 

Way funny! !!

I also think maverickronin has a pretty good order. Indeed, sensitivity to highs will dump the DT880's and most Beyers (of any Ohmage) off the list.
And the HD's... Oh yeah, the least offensive highs on the list (also the least audible).
wink_face.gif

Nov 11, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #14 of 18
I find HD600 to be very comfy, the new Sennheiser 5xx line should be even more so

Users who are viewing this thread

Back