Need suggestion..Any "In ear" type that produce sound like singer is right in front of you?
May 21, 2011 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

mydownload

New Head-Fier
Just curious that is any "in ear" headphone that produce sound to listener feel like singer sing right in front of you with good instrument isolation? What this interface called? Which is the best or value one? Can Klipsch image S4 do that?

I was fell in love since I was tried on "on ear" or "around ear" by BOSE at Harrod, but not so sure which one. Is it depends on music file too in oder to make sound so, since I was tried on somewhere like "try me" counter at the shop? However, I decide to have one, but on "in ear" type. Please suggest!?

May 21, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #2 of 10
First off, I'd try posting this in the "Portable Headphones, Earphones and In Ear Monitors" forum.  You'd probably get more help there.

I have a pair of Shure SE530 and I'd say they do a pretty admirable job of what you're describing.

Do you have a budget and a preferred type of music?  What's your source (iPod, laptop, mp3, FLAC, CD player, etc.)?

May 22, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #3 of 10
Mostly, I would listen to kind of Bossanova, Classic and etc. which would be lovely, if I get one that can isolate drum, piano, guitar surrounding with singer in front of my face.

Source would come out from my iphone. Some files come from internet or ribed from original CD.

My budget is not quite strictly, just want the most value, one pretty around 20-250$. But cheaper is the best!

I heard that Klipsch image S4 is most value one in Cnet.com, but can it do this interface? Do you know what it' s called?~

May 22, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #4 of 10
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but until you get into a few specific headphones designed to put the sound in front of you the recording has more authority over what winds up where. 

I find that most IEM's put the singer pretty much right between my ears. At best between my ears, but behind my eyes.

May 22, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but until you get into a few specific headphones designed to put the sound in front of you the recording has more authority over what winds up where. 

I find that most IEM's put the singer pretty much right between my ears. At best between my ears, but behind my eyes.

So, yea, most of source file, I riped from CD to ACC by itune. Is that work? Can you suggest any in ear headphone for vocal forward system?

May 22, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #6 of 10
I would say from what Ive read Shure 530 or UM3x.  I've actually owned the Um3x so I can comment on it.  It has creamy thick mids, and also the soundstage is confined-makes for vocal centric and very close sounding.  Instrument separation is incredible, probably the best of any that Ive heard anyways.

May 22, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
So, yea, most of source file, I riped from CD to ACC by itune. Is that work? Can you suggest any in ear headphone for vocal forward system?

Unfortunately no. Without really big angled drivers designed to put their own influence into the sound you are left with just whats on the recording. 

In some ways this is nice - being true to the recording. In others not so nice - I have never actually experienced sound coming from behind my eyes in real life, have you?

You are looking for something you will probably never find, except when the recording allows it. 

May 23, 2011 at 7:21 AM Post #9 of 10
Some portable rigs can be amazing (for example see Jude's Head-Fi TV episode 3).  Still, iems are a great route to go for portable use without an amplifier.  SE530, as noted are incredible with vocals.  I'd say that they are forward (seem like they are in front of the other instruments), which is maybe what you mean.  There are probably equally good mids-rendering iems that cost a lot less - for example I've heard good things about HiFiMAN RE262.  Look for one of the two great IEM roundup reviews to find them, or ask in the iem thread. 

May 23, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #10 of 10
You aren't really listening to what he's telling you. CD walkman or digital FLAC file makes no difference to where the singer will be in the soundstage. That's on the recording.

If the producer chose to put the vocalist into one ear (as some 60s music did when stereo first started getting used) then it can sound out of your head with the right headphones. It'll also sound wierd and jarring, which is why no one does this any more.

Usually the recording has the vocalist equally on left and right channels, when wearing headphones this will place the vocalist inside your skull.

On speakers having the singer on both channels equally will place them in front of you as each ear picks up a bit of the sound from each side and your brain uses that sense data to position the singer there. Not dissimilar to the way your eyes work to judge depth perception in principle. 

Headphones won't do that as each ear only hears the right or left channel without the natural cross over which your brain uses to judge where the sound is coming from.

Binaural recordings can similuate the singer being anywhere they want as the speakers are inside a dummy head so each channel will pick up exactly what a person would in the dummy's position and your brain is suckered. Pretty special stuff but still pretty rare unforunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back