Need successor too Sennheiser HD555 (Budget $200)
Nov 10, 2009 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

CyberAthlete

100+ Head-Fier
Got my ATH-M50s yesterday. Straight out of the box, sound great. Being an owner of the Senn HD555, I could tell that these closed headsets packed much more bass. It was refined, punchy and also boomy when need be. Besides the mids and highs were clear too.

I have them on a burn process right now (hooked to my Harman Kardon AVR 225), playing an album by Seether on repeat, on medium-high volume. Enough to give the headphones a good workout without stressing them out.

I'll comment on the sound in a few days after I've taken them for a test drive in various video games, movies and music. I know this much, that at bass levels and volumes where my Sennheiser start to pop, these hold their ground nicely.

So I'll probably get rid of my Sennheiser's VERY SOON, almost immediately. BUT now I would like a pair of headsets that can produce the same/better soundstage than HD555 them YET reproduce the bass and throw bass punches of my ATH-m50. Suggestions?

Equipment: Harman Kardon AVR 225
HP Amp: Fiio E5

Use: Video Games, Movies
so a surround sound effect with earth rattling bass is important.

Nov 19, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #2 of 14
I just brought the Sennheiser HD380 from Guitar Center to replace my HD555 to have a bit more isolation from outside sounds. While I need more time to burn-in the headphones I find that these headphones are in a class by themselves. The sound is very different from the HD555, my Beyerdynamic DT811 and even managed to rival my Stax headphones in certain areas. The HD380 is more comfortable than the HD280 and not to far behind from the HD555 even with more clamping pressure on the HD380. I have to get back listening to music so that I can give these headphones more of a break-in before I can give a full evaluation. I am using the Creek headphone amp and also have a Melos tube pre-amp to drive the headphone.

Nov 20, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #3 of 14
how about HD580's. i've never heard the 555's but i'm assuming that the sound signature of the 580s would be similar. when i was researching whether i should get the 555 or the 580s i think the consensus was to get the 580s. you can easily get a pair of used 580s under $200

Nov 20, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberAthlete /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So I'll probably get rid of my Sennheiser's VERY SOON, almost immediately. BUT now I would like a pair of headsets that can produce the same/better soundstage than HD555 them YET reproduce the bass and throw bass punches of my ATH-m50. Suggestions?

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro.
Two versions: 250 ohm and 80 ohm.
I can only speak about the 250 ohm version being light years ahead of the HD 555 (and 595, for that matter, too - both of which I own). These headphones are among the most severely overhyped headphones I've had the displeasure of listening to.

Nov 20, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kawai_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may want to try some Ultrasones like the HFI2200 , Ive read those pack alot of bass for an open headphone

Yep, great sound stage and bass. they share the same drivers as the PL/Pro-650 the close version.

Jan 22, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #9 of 14
where would i get them for 150?

Jan 22, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #10 of 14
The 940 was just announced and has an MSRP of $350. It will be out in spring 2011.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back