Need Stylish Headphones that don't sacrifice quality - Replacing 5 year old Shure E3c IEMs
Jul 13, 2010 at 9:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ItsJono

New Head-Fier
Hello,

First post. I don't consider myself an audiophile but I did do a lot of research and spent a lot of time learning about Shure E3c's back in 2005. I was 15 years old and needed some good headphones to get some decent quality sound from an iPod.

Fast forward to today, my Shure E3cs are cutting out because of so much usage and as much as I love them, they gotta be put to rest. They've served 2.5x the warranty length and I think i've got my money's worth.

Anyway I'll let you know the basics. I listen to a lot of Electronic Dance Music, from rave type music (Happy Hardcore), Trance, House, Psychedelic Trance (Full On) to normal stuff like rock, metal, classical, etc. I'm not a DJ, nor am I a professional music creator or editor in any way shape or form but I am someone who appreciates quality. I'll be honest, I'm a huge fan of German Engineering so obviously something like Sennheiser really speaks to me from a quality standpoint but they put me off style-wise due to the egg-shaped parts that go over the ear. I do like the circle/rounded off look but I do know they are more form fitting with the egg style shape.

I was looking at some Audio-Technica ATH-M50's, Sennheiser HD448s (Look REALLY good/appealing to me) but i'm a quality first, style second guy. Ideally I wouldn't wanna sacrifice either :p

Can anyone recommend some headphones within the $75-150~ range? Thank you for your time audiophiles and equipment connoisseurs.

Jul 13, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #2 of 8
Don't forget the Sennheiser HD25-I-2, rather impressive for your genres. They're hardly stylish, they're rather straight to the point, but I'm sure you can make it for it by dressing creatively elsewhere. 

Jul 13, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #3 of 8
The Sennheiser HD 428 is essentially the same headphone as the HD 448, but for less. They're truly awesome for the price. Fairly neutral sound, great mids, and nicely detailed.

Jul 13, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #5 of 8
I wear glasses too, and the HD 428 remains comfortable. It's a very lightweight headphone with little clamping force, so glasses aren't an issue. Headbanging could cause them to slide off though.

Jul 13, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #6 of 8
May I add a third Sennheiser? The PX200 II might work.

AKG has some nice portable headphones as well so good luck.

P.S. Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry for your wallet...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back