Need some new headphones
Feb 11, 2011 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

SecrtAgentMan

New Head-Fier
Hey guys I was looking for a new set of cans.

Currently I have the HD555s and while I like them I want to move up.

They don't really give me the "thump" that I'm looking for in rap/hip-hop.

I have an Asus Essense STX right now for a sound card so I want some headphones that would take use of it, I also was looking for something that won't get muddy when I raise the volume.

Feb 12, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #6 of 14
Thanks for the suggestions to you both, what would be a better pick for gaming though?

I don't play competitively, but I would like to be able to have good audio whilst gaming.

I want good bass as a priority though and sound for gaming to be good as well but it doesn't need to be godlike for sound positioning and such.

Feb 12, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #7 of 14
Feb 12, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #10 of 14
I might get some "flac" for this (see what I did there? 
tongue.gif
), but I spent some time last weekend A/Bing my friend's 555's and my M50's.  I've got to say, for the price the 555's are a fantastic set (and his were stock, not modded).  At the end of the comparison, I could comfortably say that I was very pleased I had gotten the M50's over the 555's during my "searching period".  Honestly, they sound pretty familiar despite being open/closed.  The M50, as I'm sure you've heard a hundred times, wins over in the sub-bass category (every song with any noticeable bass presence had a "rounder and warmer" bottom end with the M50s" and of course also had more isolation.

That said, not sure if the M50s offer a considerable enough jump up from the 555's to get an entire new set of cans other than you needing a closed set for more isolation.  I would look into trying some Beyer's that fit your budget.  

Also, if you do go with hte M50s and don't have a high bitrate music library, I suggest you start updating now.  The M50 reveals all the compression in lower bitrate and has forced me to delve neck-deep into developing a lossless library for the first time :p

Feb 13, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #13 of 14
Not sure why no one mentioned the Sony Mdr-7509HD.
For that price range, they're a stellar fit.  The bass isn't exaggerated, but it is very VERY brilliantly reproduced when it's prominent in the mix of music you listen to through them.  Punchy hip hop tracks sound THUMPY.  They don't add to the mix, but they give one of the crispest bass reproductions you can find at that pricepoint (in my experience).
The problem with gaming, though, is that a strong set of monitors that does music well isn't going to be what you want for gaming.

Gaming ends up needing overly exaggerated bass and highs, a mic (especially for team based FPS), 5.1 compatible (either through USB + 3D simulation software or via 5.1 jacks), and so on.
I use the Mdr-7509HDs for movies, music and production, and switch over to a pair of Roccat Kave gaming headphones for gaming.
They have a mic, three directional drivers in each cup for surround sound, incredibly heavy bass, and a box for controlling levels (mute for the mic, volume for each driver, master volume, etc).
Using the Roccats for music is incredibly annoying; it adds an extra depth that makes music sound a little too resonant, and the amplified bass is just silly.  It really sucks for music.  That said, stuff like approaching footsteps in an empty hallway, distant explosions, or the reverberations of empty shells hitting the floor in game sounds absolutely spectacular with these things.

For the inverse reasons, i don't game with the Mdr-7509HD.  Aside from the absence of the mic and surround sound, it doesn't offer the same "depth" that you really want for a realistic gaming experience.
It really is comparing apples to oranges; The stuff you want in a good pair of gaming cups isn't at all what you want in a good set for music.

PS, if you end up going with two sets, i'd recommend the MDR-7506 to help save money.  They're a bit cheaper than the 7509Ds, but still offer a great level of quality.  Certainly not as punchy, but if the budget is tight they're a stellar second choice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_MDR-V6 (info on both the 7506 and the 7509HD)

Feb 13, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #14 of 14
have you mod your hd555 by removing the foam inside ?   When i removed the foam inside my Hd555, there is more bass present and soundstage improved quite a bit.  Try looking up the forum on : hd555 mod

Users who are viewing this thread

Back