Need some help on some headphones and amp - complete beginner no idea where to start.
Mar 28, 2011 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sheaz

New Head-Fier
Hey i am new to the forums and came across it when i decided to buy some good headphones. I know that for most good headphones i need a amp to power it and this word "source" keeps coming up? I am guessing it means the orginal source plugged into the amp so for example a laptop? 
Ok i orginally went down the path of AKG it looked so professional i just thought the k702s were the ones. And now I have used the forums i realise that these are very good for classical music which I am not into at all.
So After two days of looking through the forums I have come across the Sony MDR-XB1000. The reason i am drawn to these is I heard the bass is very good and great for electric music. This suits the music i am into dnb dubstep techno. 
But I also love some rock such as queen red hot chilli peppers etc and i feel the sony MDR-XB1000 cannot give me this variety and i have to stick to electric music to get the benefit.
Also how would I go about powering these? Which amp is a good one to use? I would be very grateful if people gave me some alternatives to the Sony ones. I have looked at grado into detail but I have heard they are uncomfortable and don't give me the bass i was looking for.

Mar 28, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #2 of 6
Have you looked at Ultrasone? The Pro 750 is one of the best headphones at its price point. If you don't want to pay that much, the HFI-580 is cheaper and does fine without an amp.

Mar 28, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #4 of 6
Why not start with the XB500's or 700's? they have good bass response. 

Mar 28, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #5 of 6
The Grado SR60i's are fantastic for rock and with the venting mod I find the bass quantity to be plentiful which could suit your needs for electronic music.  They also sound great without an amp, so you wouldn't need to spend money on that.

If you're interested then the mod is in this thread on the first page: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/508459/sr60-mod

Mar 28, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #6 of 6
I recommend checking out the AKG K240's. I think they're a great all rounder with a nice amount of bass. If your playing through your laptop, you most probably won't NEED and amp, but you can get one if you want. If you're playing these through an iPod, then you're gonna need a portable amp of somekind.You can check out either the Fiio E7 or the iBasso T3 as pretty well regarded headphone amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back