Need some help choosing my first pair of quality headphones....
Aug 21, 2012 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

collegepanda

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, so like my title says, this will be my first time investing in quality headphones.

I listen to Artists like Gavin Degraw, Jason Mraz, and Andy Grammer, but A good portion of my music listening  also goes to R&B music. 

I tried the Beats Pro awhile back (yes I know they aren't worth their price), but one thing I learned from using them is I do enjoy the  bass. So headphones that can provide that bass quality without interfering with the other levels of sound is what I'm after :)

-My price preference is $450 and under 
-A bit of a good looking headphones would be wonderful, but I'd rather sacrifice looks for quality any day 
-I'm going on a trip at the end of the week, so preferably the headphones would be available to purchase in store's like Best Buy, Fry's Electronics, or Guitar Center. 
-OH! I forgot to mention, most of the time I'll be using these headphones on the go, so headphones that would deliver good sound quality without a need of an amp.

Thanks!

Aug 21, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #2 of 4
Something portable, stylish, great with acoustic guitars, and with a bit of bass kick, and available at major retailers...

I think you're in for a Pioneer HDJ-2000, which you can probably find if you go to the "pro audio" section at Best Buy (the MP3 section with Beats and Bose will probably not have them). They make acoustic guitars sound great, they have imaging superior to most in their class, they look great and are comfortable, and since they're DJ headphones they also have some extra bass mixed in.

I think they'd fit the bill perfectly.

Aug 21, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #3 of 4
Hifiman HE-400's can be found for about that price, a Fiio E17 would power them nicely. I personally love their look, and the sound definitely has a strong bass hump. I live in the UK so I'm not sure they'd be available in aforementioned shops but they're definitely an absolute steal at their price range!

Edit: read that you wanted to go amp-less, the E17 is made for portability, maybe it'll sway you.

Aug 22, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Hifiman HE-400's can be found for about that price, a Fiio E17 would power them nicely. I personally love their look, and the sound definitely has a strong bass hump. I live in the UK so I'm not sure they'd be available in aforementioned shops but they're definitely an absolute steal at their price range!

Edit: read that you wanted to go amp-less, the E17 is made for portability, maybe it'll sway you.

While the HE-400 does sound great, a large open headphone that needs an amp isn't exactly the epitome of portability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back