need some cheap cans, rec me some?
Feb 10, 2011 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

leoniedelt

100+ Head-Fier
Right. Am looking for cheap cans. £50 ish or less, pref less. New or used, i ain't fussed.

I guess on-ear because my husband's Superlux 681s hurt my jaws under my ears because they are so flipping huge and envelop my entire skull, but am open to suggestions.

I largely listen to tv shows on the lappy, rock, folk, pop. Want something even sounding, not huge on bass, not huge on treble either.

I get headaches really easily from cans squeezing my skull - in fact, i ebayed my behringer HPS5000s because they hurt my head - though they were what i wanted :/

So.... getting by with sony mdr -v150s at the mo, bored with them though they dont squeeze too tight.

Rec me some cans? ta.

Feb 11, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #3 of 12
A few suggestions for ya:

Beyerdynamic DT 235

Denon AH-D501k, D310, D510

Sennheiser HD 218

Feb 11, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #4 of 12
Do check out ljokerl's thread if haven't done so :
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-65-portable-headphones-reviewed
One of top recommendations there is Creative Aurvana Live! which just top £50. They are a bit big perhaps, but soft pleather and light grip mean they score well for comfort. May have a bit more bass than you'd like.
Another possibility is the Sony MDR-570 which is on-ear and according to this review :
http://www.headfonia.com/sony-mdr-570lp/
may have a sound signature you like. They're under £20 and may be available from your local Dixons or Asda (according to one Head-Fier).
Assume you're looking for something which has a bit of sound isolation and doesn't leak sound badly. 

Feb 12, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #7 of 12
No one mentioning KOSS KSC75 yet?!? But they kinda big on bass and treble (for me, at least). Try it, maybe you like it, its about $15.

Feb 12, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #9 of 12
I can vouch for the CAL! or the JVC's. Have used both before, and they sound good for the price. 

Feb 12, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #10 of 12
i've gone for the sony mdr 570s for now, they were £40 in tesco!! and £29 at argos, but i got them for £19.95 on ebay.

will feed back here in case anyone else is reading and has such pain with headphones like i do...

thank you all so very much.

Feb 15, 2011 at 5:54 AM Post #11 of 12
So, i got my new cans in the post a little while ago. Yay.

A few things. the headband is odd, really slim and causes some pressure on the top of my noggin - perhaps i'll get used to it in time.
The squeeze isnt too squeezey though, yay.
Love the ear pads. Nice. Might be sweaty in the summer though, who knows. Not too worried about it.
Shorter cord than my other sony cheapies. Much shorter. This is a good thing since i was nearly tripping over the longer cord on the other set.
Sounds pretty fantastic to my nice ear - not too sharp, not too thumpy, just awesome.
For £20, a purchase well worth making, even if i end up alternating them with my old cheapies for comfort purposes!

Thanks again, everyone.

Feb 25, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #12 of 12
You're welcome and congrats on your new 'phones!  Sadly, this only the begining of a long and perilous journey...for your wallet that is!
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back