Need some advice :)
Dec 23, 2010 at 1:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Sir Romey

New Head-Fier
Hey all, I have a question....I just got my Grado sr60i's and I really like them.....I like them so much that now I'm really curious to know what a better set of headphones sound like. I'm looking to spend 200-250 for a new set. Any and all suggestions are welcome and I greatly appreciate your time :D

David

Dec 23, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #2 of 9
Well give us some parameters first.

- do you want isolation? (this is typically open vs close)
- what kind of music do you listen to?
- do you intend to buy an amp in the future?
- do you want something that sounds similar to the grados, or are you feeling adventurous?
- portable or not?

Some random suggestions: Phiaton MS 400, Beyerdynamic T50p (both are closed portables that don't need an amp and offer great sound signatures which are also quite different from a Grado)

Dec 23, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #3 of 9
How about some Grado SR225's or see if you can score some used SR325's. Either will be a huge jump in quality from the SR60.

Dec 23, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #4 of 9
-I'm open to either or(open or closed)
-I listen to everything from House to Hip hop to Oingo Boingo and everything in between.
-I'm open to purchase an amp ( What does an entry level amp run?) would I be way out of my price range if I could come up with 300 for headphones+amp?
I love the Grados but I'm also open to new idea's.
@ArmandHammer; are the 325's great sounding?

Dec 23, 2010 at 7:52 AM Post #5 of 9
If you can bump up your budget just a touch and have a headphone amp, I'd go for the HD 650.

Dec 23, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #6 of 9
Don't buy new 'phones, mod! :D But after you jump down that rabbit hole there's no going back :)

Dec 23, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #7 of 9
Personally I think the SR325i's sound fantastic. I think they need a warm amp/DAC to smooth out the highs a little but otherwise they are bliss.

Quote:
-I'm open to either or(open or closed)
-I listen to everything from House to Hip hop to Oingo Boingo and everything in between.
-I'm open to purchase an amp ( What does an entry level amp run?) would I be way out of my price range if I could come up with 300 for headphones+amp?
I love the Grados but I'm also open to new idea's.
@ArmandHammer; are the 325's great sounding?

Dec 23, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #8 of 9
if you would like to stick with grados, you can either try out the SR325 or the SR225. it's just a matter of preference (at least in my case.) if you can withstand the highs of the SR325, go for it. if you're more into mids, go for the SR225.

if you want, you could also try out the HFI-780. they have a very 'in-your-face' SQ with good bass to boot. they literally rocked me when i tried them out on my friend's setup (I think it was connected to the original master amplifier, IIRC.)

PS: all of them can be driven by an ipod and still sound decent. of course, they would sound better with a dedicated amp. YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back