Need some advice for headphones.
Jul 8, 2012 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Zebutsu

New Head-Fier
Hey guys! I've really gotten into music and I know i'm not getting the best of my ****ty current headphones.

I was just wondering if there are any great headphones out on the market for about $150. So I live in Norway where pretty much anything is expensive so what that might be $150 here might cost me $250 in Norway.

But i've looked into the Audio technica ATH-M50s but it's been a while since they've been released aren't there any other options out there or should I just buy them?

I appreciate all response.

Jul 8, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:
Hey guys! I've really gotten into music and I know i'm not getting the best of my ****ty current headphones.

I was just wondering if there are any great headphones out on the market for about $150. So I live in Norway where pretty much anything is expensive so what that might be $150 here might cost me $250 in Norway.

But i've looked into the Audio Technica ATH-M50s but it's been a while since they've been released aren't there any other options out there or should I just buy them?

I appreciate all response.

AKG K242HD, low price at Thomann, but needs a decent amplifier to sound it's best.

Jul 8, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #4 of 19
Is the AKG K242HD better than Audio technica ath-m50?

I really want my first pair of headphones to be really good! I really enjoy music, but it's almost impossible with my current headphones.

Jul 8, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #5 of 19
its not really "better" because they have different sound signature, not to mention that the k242hd is semi open and the m50 is closed. each headphone has its strengths and weaknesses.

Jul 8, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #6 of 19
Any specific genres of music you prefer? This may help you choose.

Also, as Dyaems mentioned about semi-open/closed/open, depends if you need good isolation in either ways, and if you want them used on the go as well.

Jul 8, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:
I listen to david guetta, house, techno, deadmau5, led zeppelin etc
I prefer closed but semi open is alright too.

The ATH-M50 is more a bass and treble headphone, not so much mid range and sound stage.
The K242HD would have more midrange and sound stage.
What source(s) are you going to be plugging the headphones into?

Jul 8, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:
My motherboard until I can afford an amp

The Asus Xonar DG sound card should improve the sound of any headphone, over plugging them into your motherboard.
Check around locally, see what the prices are on the DG.

Jul 8, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:
Instead of buying a soundcard and later an amp, just buy a DAC instead. Fiio some pretty good deals.

Agreed. The $28 FiiO D3 works pretty good for me, making a noticeably cleaner sound. It's not a massive difference, but for $30 I'm plenty satisfied.

Jul 9, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #14 of 19
If there is no big difference between K242HD and ATH-M50 then I would easily go for the Ath-m50 for the looks.

Would the Asus Xonar DG give me the best of sound of my ATH-M50? 

Jul 9, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:
What's the difference between DAC and amp/soundcard?

Also: So the K242HD and the M50s are the best for my price range?

DAC (Digital to Analog Converter), all sound cards come with a DAC, so do modern TVs, receivers, mp3 players, cellphones, IPods, iPhones. iPads etc.
Sounds cards process audio for computers, some come with headphone amplifiers, some do not.
The K242HD (which i own and like) and the ATH-M50 both have their pluses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back