Need Recommendation for Closed Cans for $150-$300
Oct 16, 2011 at 4:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

shadowxeagel

New Head-Fier
I am currently in the market for a new set of headphones.  It seems like everyone has a lot of knowledge here when it comes to headphones so I thought you guys would be able to help me out.

I'm not looking for anything out of this world, but something of good quality with a reasonable price.  I'm willing to spend anywhere from $100-$300, looks for the best bang for the buck pretty much.  I haven't had any hands on experience with any good headphones other than my friend's beats by dr dre. The dre beats seem decent, but i've got the feeling that $300 is going mostly towards the name.  In other words, they do not "wow" me at all. 

I listen to Skrillex (which is a variety of genres on its own), classical and some top 40(as in pop/hip-hop[if you can even call it that these days]).It would be a definite plus if the headphones were portable with maybe a carrying case of some sort as I do travel and would like something strong and sturdy. I want something along the lines of  I want something with a VERY nice clean crisp sound with some bass.  Bass isn't a really big thing for me, but i think everything sounds better with some bass.  Something better than dre beats, which I don't think should be too hard to find.  

I have read about a few headsets but wasn't sure if they were actually good or not (don't really trust amazon reviews).  A few of the headphones i've been looking at are the V-Moda M-80(which aren't really closed), shure 840, Audio-Techna m-50, and some ultrasone/beyerdynamic.  Again, I don't know too much about headphones other than what i've read in reviews.

Thanks in advance.

Oct 16, 2011 at 5:49 AM Post #2 of 8
Look up the Ultrasone HFI-580 or the DJ1s. They are both the same headphone .. Cost is around $135ish but you will be surprised how good they sound for bassy music.  The M-80 is a good sounding phone but some might consider them bass light. They are more of a mid centric balanced can and has some of the best mids for a portable..The m-80 does sound great but they sit on your ears and don't isolate as well as you would like them to.

This one goes over your budget@ $350 but worth it.  I can recommend the Denon D2000.. I recently got them myself.. These are still cheaper than the Beats Pros but will mop the floor with them in clean clear dynamic warm balanced sounds with that bass you are looking for..Big fan base here on headfi for them..Awesome in every sense of the word. These are not too portable however.

Oct 16, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #4 of 8
Well the Pro900 is more for bassy music.. EDM trance dub.. I prefer to listen to classical on an open phone like my Sennheiser HD595 which are much more proper to listen to classical with. Something with even a wider stage. I think out of the 2 the Denons would be better for classical because they are more semi closed than actual closed sounding.. The give and take on these is they have great detail and smoothnessand balance with your full dynamic bass and a wider stage than you would imagine for a closed type phone but is on the big side and not too portable. even though both will not give you the best for classical the Denons will be more proper. The Ultrasones have their S-Logic tech on their phones making the mids of them sound recessed. But in reality what  happens is the sound field is thrown around your ears and not directly into them giving music a unique 3D sound.

Some guys like this some don't.. Both are more for home use than one to carry around. I don't own the PRo900 but you don't hear how outstanding those are for classical in any way on these threads.In fact you don't hear any mention of classical music when on topic of the pro900s.  The balance and detail level of the Denons would be much more proper. They are completely worth the money spent Imo. They sound great for all genres..

If you want to try a cheaper ultrasone that are more portable and better for all around music than the bass heavy pro900.  The HFI-780 is a bit higher up on the HFI series. It does classical just fine actually and is indeed portable/ drives perfectly well from portable devices and these have good bass as well..I have read from others that say the highs are harsh. Nope. I wouldn't believe that. They have fully defined highs and will only smooth out with time/ burn in. I think the HFI-780s might be a good fit for you... The Denons are super nice but more for home use and perhaps in the future you can invest in one for your home.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/denon-ahd2000-high-performance-over-ear-headphones/reviews/5612  review on the Denons.

Oct 16, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #5 of 8
So how would you compare the HFI-780s  against the V-Moda M-80s in the classical regard? I might buy a portable and eventually one for home use. What do you think are the best portables as well as home-use cans out there that can range from Skrillex-----Classical? (One for home use doesn't have to be closed)

Oct 16, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #6 of 8
Denons D2000.> The M-80 portable and they do sound great for all genres > Hfi-780..   Costs are $350, $200, $160.  The M-80s will be a good buy for you if you want true portablility.. Definitely look into a Denon for home use in the future.

Oct 16, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
I am currently in the market for a new set of headphones.  It seems like everyone has a lot of knowledge here when it comes to headphones so I thought you guys would be able to help me out.

I'm not looking for anything out of this world, but something of good quality with a reasonable price.  I'm willing to spend anywhere from $100-$300, looks for the best bang for the buck pretty much.  I haven't had any hands on experience with any good headphones other than my friend's beats by dr dre. The dre beats seem decent, but i've got the feeling that $300 is going mostly towards the name.  In other words, they do not "wow" me at all. 

I listen to Skrillex (which is a variety of genres on its own), classical and some top 40(as in pop/hip-hop[if you can even call it that these days]).It would be a definite plus if the headphones were portable with maybe a carrying case of some sort as I do travel and would like something strong and sturdy. I want something along the lines of  I want something with a VERY nice clean crisp sound with some bass.  Bass isn't a really big thing for me, but i think everything sounds better with some bass.  Something better than dre beats, which I don't think should be too hard to find.  

I have read about a few headsets but wasn't sure if they were actually good or not (don't really trust amazon reviews).  A few of the headphones i've been looking at are the V-Moda M-80(which aren't really closed), shure 840, Audio-Techna m-50, and some ultrasone/beyerdynamic.  Again, I don't know too much about headphones other than what i've read in reviews.

Thanks in advance.

Heya,

Denon D2000
Beyer DT770 PRO
Panasonic HTF600 with velour pads

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back