Need portable sealed cans for travelling (bus/train/taxi) and privacy (library holiday home)
Aug 12, 2010 at 5:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Anouk

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello everyone,
After months of absense from head-fi.org (and switching my main rig from headphones to speakers only) I am now back because for my portable music I still want a nice rig to listen to (i often drive by bus and am at other places then home, e.g. holiday home/library where I want privacy). For these times I now use monster turbine pro copper iems.  While I like the sound of these iems a great deal, these are the best iems soundwise that I have owned for my musical tastes, i Just prefer the sound of fullsize sealed cans even though they are not as portable or block sound as well.
I have owned a lot of cans in my time here at headfi, my nees are:
1. closed cans that block outside sound pretty well (i dont want to be disturbed by other conversations in the library)
2. that are sturdy (size does not matter but i have to be able to keep them living in my large backpack), this also means i dont want them if they scratch easily
3. that sound engaging and fun
. that are reasonably comfortable
All my music files are ripped to 320kbits mp3 and my source is a current generation ipod nano. If neccessary I might buy a lod and portable amp for it. I used to also use my computer as source when at the holiday home or the library but I am plannin gto stick to the ipod since it has such long battery life.
I listen mainly to rock pop and powermetal but I have a quite broad musical taste.
The three headphones that I am currently considering are the dt770 premium, audio technica m50 and the akg k181 dj after reading the headfonia review.
My previous favourite is the hd25-1.
Thanks in advance for any advice,
Greetings, Anouk,

Aug 16, 2010 at 6:14 AM Post #2 of 2
Hello,
What I did like about the hd25 was its portability, sturdiness and VERY good sound isolation.
It was a bit uncomfortable to wear for hours on en dhtough and the sound was a bit fatiguing because it was a bit shrill in the highs at times and seemed to be mostly focussed on percussion. It did have a nice midrange but the highs and treble were not that well extended and there was not much soundstage to speak off. So i could not listen to htem for a long while And while I like my bass it just seemed that hte hd25 just focussed on drums.
I do like its midrange htough. I am afraid that the dt770 midrange is too much recessed, obscured by the bass notes. I have never heard the dt770 though so I cant be sure, it is a bit costly to just buy and find this out then though.
Greetings, Anouk,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back