Need new IEMs
Jun 21, 2011 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

metman

New Head-Fier
I am unfortunately back in the market for some good IEMs.  I had some UE SF5 Pros that provided a few years of faithful heavy service and I was quite happy with, but alas, the casing for one of the buds shattered one day.  Then I decided to try out the cheap root with some RE0s, and was pretty happy, though the lack of bass is sometimes disappointing.  I would still be happy with the RE0s, except for the fact that the first pair I had had one of the buds die within the first month, and the replacement pair, which are now less than 6 months old, are experiencing adhesive failure, and the two parts of the bud on both buds are seperating.  Guess that's what I get for trying to save money.  I'm thinking of getting some extra adhesive to McGuyver them, but perhaps it's also time to explore a new pair.

In any case, I'd like to spend as little as possible, but I don't want to deal with companies that sell shoddily constructed products and then expect you to go without headphones for a week or 2 every 5 months when you have to replace the damn things because they fail.  I'd like slightly bassier phones than the RE0s, but I really want phones that have accurate and high clarity reproduction.  I know my source limits the quality (I generally stream songs from Slacker, Rhapsody, or Pandora), but I'd like the best I can get for as far under $300 that I can get.  What would you all suggest these days?

Edit: Also, by any chance, does anyone know where you can buy an in-line control pack for a Droid?  I've been having problems with my phone mis-interpreting signals from my headphones as in-line control commands.

Jun 22, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #2 of 17
In a suprise to myself, I'm actually starting to think about getting the Monster Turbine Coppers.  Can anyone recommend something that would be durable, but still have really good sound quality and be (relatively) cheap?

Jun 22, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #3 of 17
If you liked the RE0s but want a little more bass...I'd think the VSonic GR07s would be a great fit.  The Coppers are also good, but not 75 dollars better than the GR07s...in fact, I'd even say the GR07s are superior.

Jun 22, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #4 of 17
Can you actually pick them up in the US?  I can't find a single site on Google that will sell me the things, and the company website is in Japanese, and can't be order from as best I can tell anyway.

Jun 22, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #5 of 17
lendmeurears.com is the reseller in china and they have an ebay store as well:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vsonic-GR07-R07-/320717996963?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item4aac4843a3#ht_951wt_1141

A few guys on here bought from a seller on ebay named www.earphones so that's an option as well if you decide to buy them.  

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Vsonic-GR07-R07-Professional-/160606245357?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item2564e0d1ed#ht_2479wt_1141

They are pretty popular here right now so if for some reason (I doubt it) you don't like them, you can always flip them on here no problem.

Jun 22, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #6 of 17
Honestly, after my experience with the RE0s, I'm a bit spooked going with any model that isn't backed up by a make with some brand presence in the US and a reputation for quality.  It's too bad, cause the GR07s seem like a good buy.

Jun 22, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:
Honestly, after my experience with the RE0s, I'm a bit spooked going with any model that isn't backed up by a make with some brand presence in the US and a reputation for quality.  It's too bad, cause the GR07s seem like a good buy.

Nothing wrong with that...however, you should be aware that Coppers, even with their awesome warranty, have had quite a bit of issues (some people with multiple replacements) with their reliability.  So it just goes to show that brand name and backing don't mean much in the grand scheme of things.  Sure, you can get your item replaced easily, but what good is it if every few months you have to send the broken pair away?  I have yet to see anyone with any issues with the GR07s...sure they've only been out a few months but it appears they are made pretty well.

I had a pair of coppers for a while as well as the regular turbines and both pairs were flawless for ME...so they do make good products, it's just that some people have had some horrible luck with them.  Obviously people with issues post more than people who love them...so you obviously need to take any thread discussing defects with a grain of salt.  Also, the Monsters sell a crapload more than Vsonic...so it's just a matter of saturation too.

Jun 22, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #8 of 17
If you liked the sound signature of the RE0, you will probably like the HF5 or ER-4. The ER-4 responds better to amping than the HF5.

Jun 22, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #9 of 17
I really liked my UE SF5 Pros the best, but again, broken.  I'm thinking of getting an amp, but don't have one now.  I read about the Digizoid ZO on ABI, and was hoping to see what people say about the future full-range model when it comes out (as opposed to the bass-only boost of the ZO).  Also, I'm ok with a smaller, less well known make, but I'd rather not go with something that is basically 100% unofficial import market.  I am a sucker for warranties... but I also don't have the best opinion of Monster either, so still open...

Jun 22, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #10 of 17

Quote:
I really liked my UE SF5 Pros the best, but again, broken.  I'm thinking of getting an amp, but don't have one now.  I read about the Digizoid ZO on ABI, and was hoping to see what people say about the future full-range model when it comes out (as opposed to the bass-only boost of the ZO).  Also, I'm ok with a smaller, less well known make, but I'd rather not go with something that is basically 100% unofficial import market.  I am a sucker for warranties... but I also don't have the best opinion of Monster either, so still open...

Come on...where is your faith in the head-fi community?  LOL..they are worth the risk in my opinion, but it's whatever you're comfortable with for sure.  

Jun 23, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #11 of 17
My faith in the head-fi community is in my earphone case superglued together.  It says RE0 on the side.  :wink:  To be serious though, I can appreciate people's desire to maximize audio experience without any other concern (or at least without any concern for anything other than cost), but I want something I can trust to give me at least a couple years of solid service as well.  I value good sound, but I'm not the sort to have 6 pairs of headphones for use depending on genre and mood.  I buy one pair, and use them till they die.  Which with any luck, isn't within the first couple years.  :)

Jun 23, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #12 of 17
Check out the Thinksound ts02+mic. I love mine and after 6 months of carting them around in and out of the my bag, they're holding up great and sound super. Only issue I have is that the small tips are slightly too small but the medium tips are a tad big, so I haven't been able to find tips that are perfect and stay in if my ears start to sweat or I move around a lot. Should work with a Droid also but I have an iPhone 4 so I can't verify for sure. Also, I think if you enter the code "PLASTICFREE" you get 20% off (through 7/20/2011).

Jul 1, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #14 of 17
So I got the Thinksounds.  I'm pretty happy with them, though I do notice a lack of definition at the top end (not an audiophile, but I think that's the right term).  Rather than a satisfying Kish! on a cymbol hit in a song, you get more of a shIiish, which with fast cymbol work kind of turns in to a shishishish, which leaves something wanting compared to my older phones.  That said, the fact that the driver subassembly is not flling out of the earbud housing sure makes the wearing experience more pleasant than the RE0s.  Obviously it has something to do with the phones themselves, but I was wondering if perhaps a mid-range portable amp could help clean up the definition problems on the high end...

Jul 1, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #15 of 17
The ThinkSounds mentioned above don't have the signature you're looking for, but they definitely have the build.  If you want something more balanced (like the RE0), I'd go along the lines of the ThinkSound Rain (from what I've read).  The TS02 do have a little harsher highs that can use some refinement in clarity.  The TS02s also have a V/U-shaped signature, so if you don't like those, stay away and get the Rains.  They are lively and fun though :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back