Need New Headphones Please Help!
Dec 8, 2012 at 11:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

payj

Head-Fier
Hello,

I have actually been researching quite a bit.

Currently I own a pair of $20 Sony headphones that I have used for my ipod, computer etc etc for the last 10 years. Well they frames broke.

I want to get some new headphones, but am at quite a loss really. Mostly because there are so many great brands and models within those brands.

Beats By Dre being #1 (I joke)

Akg
Beyerdynamic
Grado
Some Sony
Sennheiser
Stax (Damn)
And Others

I just want some good sound :) I am coming from $20 headphones from 10 years ago lol. I also want over the ear.

I am willing to spend $250-$300. But that's where it gets weird. Those level of headphones seem to require a amp to get to their full potential. I don't really want to go there if I don't have to. That's a level of quality that is not required. Consider my sources.

If there are a set of heaphones in that range that will fit the bill great! But if I can get away spending less that is fine too.

Bottom line:

Over the ear
Sound Quality top notch (as much as it can be using my sources)
$300 budget (consider the fact I do not want an amp to push them)

Thanks!

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #4 of 8
$300 is not max, but ya $499 (amazon) is a bit much but not out of the ball park. $300 should be just fine though I think from what I have been researching based on my general needs......Just remember no amp.

rap, hip-hop, r&b, techno, misc. In that order pretty much

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #5 of 8
If an amp is needed is the Fiio E17 good for ipod and computer? Its $150, which is do able. I want to spend no more than $550 for both.

If that isn't possible I will just stick with headphones.

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #6 of 8
My current optimal 500$ setup is the AKG K550 + Fiio E17.

The K550 are 32Ω, which mean they're easy to drive. I had the E7 for a long time but recently upgraded to the E17 for a even better setup. The K550 are super clear and they can be worn forever without pain. For the occasionally needed boom, I put up the bass boost on my amp. 

Really recommending this setup. If you're more on a budget, get the E7 or preferably the E10 instead of the E17.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back