Need help with my setup
May 27, 2012 at 6:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Coltee

New Head-Fier
Before i begin, i'd like to say that i'm not in the market for high-end professional audio. But the money that i had was still enough to go to the local hi-fi shop and bring home a pair of Sennheiser HD 515, great sounding and budget-end audiophile headphones. Along with these headphones i use a Musical Fidelity B1, that my father bought a long time ago. These things are quite hard to come buy these days. Now comes the problem. Whenever i plug the amp into my laptop's integrated sound card, it makes a distinct humming sound that keeps playing endlessly. It's faint enough to the point that i can kind of forget about it, but i guess my ears demand that noise to be gone. Seeing as i am on a laptop, replacing the sound card is out of the question. So i figured: maybe a DAC could help. But i can't afford one above 50 euros. So, basically, what i'm trying to say is: which DAC do you recommend that's under 50 euros, and would it fix my problem?

May 27, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #2 of 3
Could be the Fiio E10 might just the thing for ya
L3000.gif

May 27, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
Before i begin, i'd like to say that i'm not in the market for high-end professional audio. But the money that i had was still enough to go to the local hi-fi shop and bring home a pair of Sennheiser HD 515, great sounding and budget-end audiophile headphones. Along with these headphones i use a Musical Fidelity B1, that my father bought a long time ago. These things are quite hard to come buy these days. Now comes the problem. Whenever i plug the amp into my laptop's integrated sound card, it makes a distinct humming sound that keeps playing endlessly. It's faint enough to the point that i can kind of forget about it, but i guess my ears demand that noise to be gone. Seeing as i am on a laptop, replacing the sound card is out of the question. So i figured: maybe a DAC could help. But i can't afford one above 50 euros. So, basically, what i'm trying to say is: which DAC do you recommend that's under 50 euros, and would it fix my problem?

Just about any external DAC would be an improvement in sound over the DAC built into your laptop.
Fiio D3 or D5 DAC would work, only $30 (US).
I like the DAC Destroyer (USB DAC), sells for around $50 (US) on eBay, ships from Canada.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back