Need help with buying a new pair of headphones
Aug 28, 2010 at 3:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Motkeblah

New Head-Fier
I just broke my crappy headphones last week and decided I need to buy something a bit better this time :S
I want big headphones that will well-cover my ears. Mostly I hear Rock,Metal and House so I want to hear the Bass & Beat good (And of course to hear clean sound ^^).
The headphones will be connected most of the time to the computer, but sometimes to the Ipod aswell.
I don't have that much money right now, so the maximum price has to be 70$.

Some people suggested that I'll buy one of the Sennheiser headphones, they mostly recommended two pairs-
Hd 212
Hd 465
Hd 515
Are these headphones any good for me?
I only know Sennheiser, but I heard that there are some other good companies out there so please share some knowledge :]
Thanks!

Aug 28, 2010 at 9:48 AM Post #3 of 14
I think I've only heard the HD212 out of the three on your list, which I thought was not very good.

Consider saving up a bit more for an Alessandro MS-1, at about US$100. Yes, I assure you it's quite normal around here to recommend over-budget; hey, at least I'm not going 100% over.

The MS-1 would suit your Rock and Metal nicely, and should sound reasonably good matched with an iPod or a computer sound card.

It's an open headphone, so your environment should be as quiet as possible. No environmental noise at all would be best. There's also some sound leakage which may bother people near you.

You can get a set of bowl pads later, they may not be very comfortable but the sound will be better than with the stock comfy pads.

Aug 28, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #4 of 14
MS1 are not very bass heavy, I'm not sure if the OP was specifically asking for that or not?

If you were looking for something bassy but good value, I would recommend the Koss Portapro - it's much closer in price to the phones you mentioned and IMO is better. If you prefer something more neutral at that price point the Sennheiser PX100 is well worth a look (it's also open though).

If the phones need to be closed... I really would consider thinking about spending a bit more, as there is nothing I know of under $100 closed which is not disasterously bad.

Maybe someone else knows of one?

Aug 28, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #5 of 14
the portapros are great, but they don't cover your ears - more like sitting on them.

for just under a $100, you can grab a pr of ath-m50 (coiled cable) or ath-m50s (straight cable) off the 'bay from an authorized dealer.  these have decent bass and are a good value closed, circumaural phone.
however, for impactful bass, i would suggest ultrasones.  you can usually find a number of them on the head-fi sales forum. it seems that their (stock) signature is a hit or miss for many head-fiers.  for a new pr, check the offerings on the 'bay --- that's where i bought my 780's (considerably more than your suggested budget, tho).

hth,

Aug 28, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #8 of 14
Sigh. My guesstimate was inaccurate again...
rolleyes.gif

Believe me, the AD700 will cover your ears more than any headphone I can think of. They are huge! And supremely comfortable.

If that is not quite your budget, that is okay. But I would almost save up and wait for those or something along the lines of those, as up in that price range is better at fulfilling the price to performance ratio.

Aug 28, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #9 of 14
there's a set going on the 'bay starting at $49.00 right now (or $68.00 b.i.n.) ... sure, used, but why not?  & i concur, the ad700's are huge ... so much so that they were literally floppin' on my head, but ymmv.
imho, get a good phone by buying used or saving up your $ for new.  i don't know if not the bass response of the ad700's will suit u or not --- i think u would be satisfied with the bass from the m50's tho.

hth,

Aug 28, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #10 of 14
check out this thread. shure srh440 for $72 shipped. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/509263/shure-srh-440-on-sale-65-00

Aug 29, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #12 of 14
srh440 will sound better, and it's easy to drive without amp. i dont know much of AD700 if it's easy to drive with ipod, but it sure look comfortable. so it's comfort v.s sound.
now. can't you strech your budget some more? the ATH-M50 is a really really good all around closed back phone for $100. if it is your only phone, you got to have this.

Aug 29, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #13 of 14

x 2.  ad700's comfort comes at the cost of a loose fit for many people; i have a big head, but the 700 suits really, really big heads...
raise your budget up to $100 & get a new set of m50's (but i bought used & got a set of k701's for ~$125 
biggrin.gif
- i mention this just to reiterate that there are some very good deals out there if you're willing to do a bit of searching.)

good luck.

Quote:
srh440 will sound better, and it's easy to drive without amp. i dont know much of AD700 if it's easy to drive with ipod, but it sure look comfortable. so it's comfort v.s sound.
now. can't you strech your budget some more? the ATH-M50 is a really really good all around closed back phone for $100. if it is your only phone, you got to have this.

Aug 29, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #14 of 14
I used to use (and still have) a pair of HD465's.  I can wholeheartedly say that they were always very comfortable and sounded quite good for the price if you like the Senn sound.  That said, I don't have experience with your other options so I can only speak from limited experience.  I think I got my pair for about 60$ all told.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back