Need help with amp/dac for Ananda v3 Stealth
Dec 6, 2023 at 7:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

d00mhammers

Head-Fier
Intro:
I have been a lurker on these forums for quite some time, and I want to thank everyone for the great time I had here, and I decided to ask you guys for advice regarding upgrading my gear.
Topic:
I currently own Byerdynamic DT770 pro 80ohm and I use KGus K3 amp/dac.

I decided to purchase the Ananda v3 stealth and the Sundara closed backs. Having done that, I am looking to upgrade my amp/dac.

I am looking at the following models:
1- TOPPING DX7 PRO+

2- HIFIMAN EF600

3- SMSL M500 MKIII

Which would you recommend me and what would give me most value?

Dec 6, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #2 of 20
Having heard none of the above, but having owned some SMSL and Topping, I'd go with the Hifiman being the R2R dac and what seems to be a descent headphone amp.

There are some reviews on the internet with some comparisons, pros and cons to help you decide if it's for you.

Dec 6, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #4 of 20
Dec 6, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #7 of 20
I am looking at the following models:
1- TOPPING DX7 PRO+

2- HIFIMAN EF600

3- SMSL M500 MKIII

Which would you recommend me and what would give me most value?
I had the Ananda Stealth with the Hifiman EF400 (never heard the EF600). It was a
great combo.
But as always, the best way - if possible - is to try before buying or to buy with a return windows...
Wish you a good search👍

Dec 6, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #8 of 20
I was also looking at the TOPPING E70 + TOPPING L70
A topping will probably impress you after your current dac/amp.

what other stacks would you recommend for a best bang for my buck and decent power to be future proof?
I have only listened to Anandas with a Schiit Lyr 3, and I liked how it sounded. There's a huge thread here on head-fi dedicated to this amp.

I always vote for separates, esp if you want to be future-proof. So a Schiit Lyr 3 (or potentially other generation, but the tube doesn't hurt at all) with a DAC of your choice might get you a good start.
The only schiit DAC I heard is Modi MB and I can recommend it, although with the $500 remaining after buying a Lyr, I would look a bit higher.

If you're in the US, there should be plenty of schiit around :)

Buy used so you can sell with minimal loss.

Dec 6, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #9 of 20
I had the Ananda Stealth with the Hifiman EF400 (never heard the EF600). It was a
great combo.
But as always, the best way - if possible - is to try before buying or to buy with a return windows...
Wish you a good search👍
What do you think of the Ananda Stealth? HOw much did you get it for? How does it compare to other things you tried? Mine is still on the way

Dec 6, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #10 of 20
A topping will probably impress you after your current dac/amp.

I have only listened to Anandas with a Schiit Lyr 3, and I liked how it sounded. There's a huge thread here on head-fi dedicated to this amp.

I always vote for separates, esp if you want to be future-proof. So a Schiit Lyr 3 (or potentially other generation, but the tube doesn't hurt at all) with a DAC of your choice might get you a good start.
The only schiit DAC I heard is Modi MB and I can recommend it, although with the $500 remaining after buying a Lyr, I would look a bit higher.

If you're in the US, there should be plenty of schiit around :)

Buy used so you can sell with minimal loss.
Sadly im not in US, and getting any schiit products is too expensive as shipping and tax costs almost as much hence i was looking at other options

Dec 6, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #11 of 20
My budget is between 500-800$, what other stacks would you recommend for a best bang for my buck and decent power to be future proof?

I have the SMSL DO200mk2 (DAC) and HO200 (amplifier) stack, and with 6000mW output power the HO200 drives everything I own effortlessly, including the Beyerdynamic DT-880 600ohm.

For some inexplicable reason, SMSL decided to make the latest model in the DO series, the DO400, an all-in-one with 6000mW of output power. So basically the DO400 is my stack with an updated chipset at 2/3 the price.

Dec 6, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #12 of 20
What do you think of the Ananda Stealth? HOw much did you get it for? How does it compare to other things you tried? Mine is still on the way
Haven't had too much time to listen to it (on Speakers these days), but so far pretty awesome! I mostly own closed-back headphones, but haven't done any comparisons yet.

Dec 6, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #13 of 20
great combo.
EF400 can be had for $309 open box which seems like a great deal to me.

One thing to note though is that it only has USB input.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #15 of 20
I have the SMSL DO200mk2 (DAC) and HO200 (amplifier) stack, and with 6000mW output power the HO200 drives everything I own effortlessly, including the Beyerdynamic DT-880 600ohm.

For some inexplicable reason, SMSL decided to make the latest model in the DO series, the DO400, an all-in-one with 6000mW of output power. So basically the DO400 is my stack with an updated chipset at 2/3 the price.
how would that compare to TOPPING E70 + TOPPING L70

Users who are viewing this thread

Back