Need help rounding out my cheapo collection
Oct 30, 2012 at 10:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

humblesmurph

New Head-Fier
First, thank you all for your help in choosing a set of full sized earphones. I started with some cheap Coby's with 40 mm drivers to get an idea of what I wanted in a full sized over the ear set of cans. Feels weird using "cans" since I know so little about headphones and audio equipment in general. In any event, I next went to the Panasonic RP-HTX7. These are the $30 retro cans with 40mm drivers. I liked that they fit over my ears, and they definitely had a better sound than the Coby's but they were lacking down low (guess I'm a basshead). I was a little discouraged since the RP-HTX7's were reviewed quite highly on CNET and Amazon. I feared I may have to spend upwards of $100 to satisfy my decidedly non-audiophile tastes. I didn't think it fair that I'd have to shell out big money for decent sound since I can't tell the difference between a FLAC and a typical MP3/MP4. 

Enter Head Fi. You guys/gals rock. I decided on the Monoprice 8323 as my full sized set of cans. From what I read here, the Panasonic RP-HTF600's or even the JVC HARX 700 likely provide a better sound  for my tastes and more comfort at a similar price point, but I am still elated with my purchase. The 8323's are more practical, given their detachable cord, folding capability, and the ability to customize with Kicker HP541 decals. I am literally happier because I found this set of cans. All of my favorite albums sound new to me. Thanks again.

I am definitely getting a pair of the Monoprice 8320's, but I want one more pair of IEM's for on the go. The 8320's seem bulky and have a cord that is prone to tangling, so they wouldn't be ideal as my daily commuter set. 

Music I listen to:
Classic Rock (Zeppelin, Stones)
Hip Hop (Jay-Z, Talib Kwali)
Blues ( new Tedeschi/Trucks, classic Freddy King, John Lee Hooker)
Singer Songwriters (Morrison, Dylan, Young, Carole King)

I'd prefer IEM's that were more "V shaped". Comfort and convenience are important to me for on the go...almost as much as SQ. I'd like a tangle resistant cord and a relatively low profile (not sticking out of my ears too much). I'd like in line volume control as well. I'd like all of this for less than what I paid for my amazing (imo) 8323's ($28). I am certainly willing to compromise, and used is an option as well. I know that there are many many threads on the best IEM under 30 bucks, but I was looking for a little more specific help if possible. Thanks for reading. Even if nobody responds to this, I am still very grateful for the help I have already received from this forum. Keep it up, us lurkers really appreciate it. 

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #2 of 6
They don't quite have 'V' shaped, but clarity in all areas is a good thing, so you should definitely try the Philips SHE3580 or 3590, which you can pick up at a CVS Pharmacy, if you have one near, for $15 -- or off Amazon.com.  (You can get the purple/blue 3580 on Amazon for $4 + $4 SH right now).

It will put an end to your cheapo searching!

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
They don't quite have 'V' shaped, but clarity in all areas is a good thing, so you should definitely try the Philips SHE3580 or 3590, which you can pick up at a CVS Pharmacy, if you have one near, for $15 -- or off Amazon.com.  (You can get the purple/blue 3580 on Amazon for $4 + $4 SH right now).

It will put an end to your cheapo searching!

Thanks for the quick suggestion. Are the Phillips SHE3580's superior to the M9's or the FX40's in your opinion?

Thanks again kmhaynes. I will be ordering the SHE3580 instead of the Monoprice 8320's because I'm reading the Phillips actually sound better and the M9's as well for their low microphonics. I will have spent about $100 total on all of my headphones. Not going to get myself (or my wallet) all wrapped up in this expensive hobby.  I won't order until Thursday (2 day shipping from Amazon would get them to me on Monday, the only day I'm home to receive them). While I'm completely satisfied with this decision, I'm still open to any suggestions any other members may have on this admittedly very unimportant subject. 

Oct 30, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
Thanks for the quick suggestion. Are the Phillips SHE3580's superior to the M9's or the FX40's in your opinion?

Thanks again kmhaynes. I will be ordering the SHE3580 instead of the Monoprice 8320's because I'm reading the Phillips actually sound better and the M9's as well for their low microphonics. I will have spent about $100 total on all of my headphones. Not going to get myself (or my wallet) all wrapped up in this expensive hobby.  I won't order until Thursday (2 day shipping from Amazon would get them to me on Monday, the only day I'm home to receive them). While I'm completely satisfied with this decision, I'm still open to any suggestions any other members may have on this admittedly very unimportant subject. 

The SHE3580 (or SHE3590) are far superior to the JVC FX40. I did not like the FX40, it has a very unnatural timbre. I can tolerate bright highs, but I can't tolerate when it sounds strange.

Oct 30, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #5 of 6
There is also the FocalPrice CK700 for I think $7 or $8.

Oct 30, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
There is also the FocalPrice CK700 for I think $7 or $8.

These look awesome.  Not quite what I was looking for since it looks like they protrude quite far outside of the ears. Decided to get the 8320 (couldn't resist a 14.2 mm driver for $8.40 shipped) and the 3580 (look perfect for on the go or laying down)  as recommended by kmhaynes (purple ones for 8 bucks shipped woohoo!). For these ridiculously low prices, I'll likely add the FP CK700 at a later date. They have a much better look than the 8320 or the 3580 imo. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back