Need help on choosing
Jul 19, 2011 at 2:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Ethereal Sound

500+ Head-Fier
So I was looking around for some good full sized headphones and the Audio Technica ATH M50 caught my eye. I've never heard the sound it produces but from what I hear, it has very good sub bass extension, isolation and mids. I previously owned a pair of RE0 IEMs and I liked the sound that those produced. Would the M50's be a good bet for me? I mostly listen to rock and classical/instrumental by the way. Also, are they durable? Because I travel a lot although I plan on using them mostly for home use.
Also, I heard that they are low impedance so if I were to plug it in to my cowon j3, would it be fine?
Thanks for all your help guys~

Jul 19, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #2 of 9
M50's are more for BASS heavy music

now do you want fullsized headphone for travel or portable headphones?

Grado would be your best bet. Best for rock/instrumental and good for classical. Grado are built like tanks and don't need an amp.

Also, if you'd like to know: Cowon's platform for the S9/J3 can push 95% of headphones out there without an amp

Jul 19, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #3 of 9
I personally would stay away from the M50s. For a long time I was debating between those and the SRH840s. When I listened to the M50s, I couldn't stand the bass. The rolloff was sloppy, notes ran into each other, and the bass overpowered the mids entirely. I may be biased, but I've read a lot of reviews that have similar opinions. If you want headphones with good bass extension that is refined and subtle yet present, I would look into Beyerdynamic. I ended up going with the DT770 and couldn't be happier with the $200 they cost me. They also sound great unamped, even though in previous posts I mentioned that I use the FiiO e7 with mine for portable use.

Jul 19, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
M50's are more for BASS heavy music

now do you want fullsized headphone for travel or portable headphones?

Grado would be your best bet. Best for rock/instrumental and good for classical. Grado are built like tanks and don't need an amp.

Also, if you'd like to know: Cowon's platform for the S9/J3 can push 95% of headphones out there without an amp

Uhm, I'm looking for some good full sized headphones for home listening. But about the Grado, I heard that the cord is a really big problem. I hear that it breaks a lot and they're not detachable either...Also, thanks for the scoop on the S9/J3! ^^

Jul 19, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
 Uhm, I'm looking for some good full sized headphones for home listening. But about the Grado, I heard that the cord is a really big problem. I hear that it breaks a lot and they're not detachable either...Also, thanks for the scoop on the S9/J3! ^^

Breaks a lot?

The Grado cable is the strongest cable I have in my inventory. It's thicker and stronger then anything else

And detachable cables are a gimick. Why would you need a detachable cable? You think that if you pull the cable and the cable breaks you'd just replace the cable? They have locking mechs in them so that if you do break the cable, the headphone goes with it. 

The only problem with the Grado cable is that it's shorter at 7feet then the rest at 10feet. Which is nice for portable and home use, but my receiver is above my monitor and the extra 3 feet allows me to sweep the cable aside. I use my Grado as a portable.

And every cable breaks, with idiots carrying around the can. I've never, NEVER in the 14 years of listening to headphones day in and day out, I have never broken a cable.

Jul 19, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
I ended up going with the DT770 and couldn't be happier with the $200 they cost me. They also sound great unamped, even though in previous posts I mentioned that I use the FiiO e7 with mine for portable use.

I wouldnt use the DT770's as portables. They are bulky.
confused.gif

Jul 19, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #7 of 9
The M50's aren't excessively bass-heavy at all to my ears. With some modding and EQing they really shine. There's a reason why they are so hyped and why they have a good satisfaction rate - they are great all-rounders without dipping too much into one niche of music.

Jul 19, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
I wouldnt use the DT770's as portables. They are bulky.
confused.gif

Oh don't get me wrong, the size of the carrying case isn't exactly the most efficient for traveling. I use them for portables because the Beyer sound signature is what I like to listen to. I was just saying that if the OP likes bassy music, I would go for a more refined and crisp sound than the M50s. 

In that regard, I definitely agree with MalVeauX. Portability for me is all about the sound, comfort, and isolation (which yeah, I know at a little higher volumes the DT770s don't isolate as well, but for flying, it works out pretty well!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back