Need help narrowing down my search for first "real" headphones and lots of general questions. Read FAQ's/guides and searched.
Jul 24, 2013 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

BattlePope

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

A few days ago, I was planning on buying Plantronics GameCom 780 to use while I play computer games. Well, I did a bit of searching and learned that if I really want to get the most bang for my buck, I should buy a clip on mic and get a real pair of 'phones. So here I am. I've narrowed down my search but would love to get your guys' opinions before I pull the trigger. I plan on using them mostly for gaming. There is a chance that they will be used to listen to music (mostly classic rock, electronic music and rap) on the go (when I'm listening to my iPod) or watch movies when I'm traveling. They won't be used for music/movies very often but it is likely. Because of this, I've been leaning towards a closed headphone. That does not mean that I'm completely opposed to open headphones though, if you guys think that they would fit the bill the best. Obviously one's with mild isolation would be nice (i.e. Superlux HD 681). I would prefer to not have to use an amp for now (if I become hooked, I'll surely pick up an amp on my next purchase). Budget is $100. Cheaper is obviously nicer but I have no problem spending the full amount if it's worth it.

One more thing, how crucial are having headphones that are compatible with Dolby Headphone when it comes to gaming? Would you say it's a necessity? Could I still hear "surround sound" on a headphone without it? Or would I be severely missing out on part of the gaming experience without it? I read Mad Lust Envy's great guide on gaming headphones...but it appears that he absolutely requires it. Is it that essential for gaming? If so, my search narrows quite a bit. 

Before I list the headphones I'm looking at, I'd just like to say I'm open to any suggestions, I don't want to limit myself to just these if there are better options out there. With that said, these are the headphones that I'm currently looking at:

- Creative Aurvana Live!
- Monoprice 8323
- Sony MDR-ZX700
- Sony MDR-V6
- JVC HARX700
- JVC HARX900
- Panasonic RP-HTF600-S
- Shure SRH440
- Sennheiser HD-280 Pro
- Superlux HD681
- Audio Technica ATH-AD700
- Grado SR-80i 

As you can see, I'm obviously leaning a bit towards the closed side of the spectrum. I've heard great things about pretty much all of them. And this is kind of where my problem begins. Since I've never been what I'd consider an "audiophile" I don't really know what to take away from a lot of these reviews. The bass notes really thin out? It's got a real quick and immediate punch? It's got a natural laid-back low end? Might as well be another language to be honest. I just didn't really know what to look for for the role that I want these headphones to fill.

I definitely took some stuff away from all the reviews though. Some would clearly not work as well on the move (i.e. ATH-AD700 and the SR-80i). Does the sound bleed so bad that I wouldn't even be able to listen to music on the bus without bothering my neighbors? And the lack of bass on the AD700 might be nice for gaming but if I'm going to use this for other stuff too, is it really that appealing? Obviously the price on a lot of these is very nice (i.e. Monoprice 8323 and Superlux HD681) but is the quality good enough? Or should I spend the extra money and get something worthwhile? And which one's support Dolby Headphone? Is it only the CAL!, HD-280 Pro and the AD700? 

I've bolded the one's that I'm really, really interested in. I love the price of the 8323 and the HD681. I've only heard good things about them. A part of me wants to just buy one of them and be done with it. It really seems like you can't go wrong with either of them. I like the fact that the MDR-V6 has been around forever and that it continues to get use. I know it's a studio headphone though, is that something that would translate well to gaming? I threw in the SRH440 because I've heard great things about that too and to be honest, I just really like the styling of both of them (V6 and SRH440). I've only heard good things about CAL! too and if I did want to go with Dolby Headphone I believe this would be my only option. Also included with ZX700 cause, again, I heard great things.

So...this is really where I'm at right now. What do you guys think? Which of the ones that I'm thinking about would fit the bill best? Or do you have another one that might fit the role better? 

Sorry for all the question and the small essay. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!

Edit: Also, one more question that I forgot. What's the difference between the MDR-V6 and the MDR-7506?
Edit Edit: Sorry keep forgetting things. I play a lot of video games. I will be wearing these for 5+ hour stretches guaranteed so I would like something that isn't too hot. I don't sweat a lot so it's not a huge deal but if it's a big problem with a particular pair I'd love to know. Also, weight is not a huge issue. Unless its an absolute brick I don't think weight will be a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back