Need help deciding on headphones!!!
Dec 18, 2012 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

AjRocha

Head-Fier
Hello, I just recently bought a pair of skullcandy hesh 2.0(supreme sound) and I really enjoy them
I just don't really like that even all the way up they aren't as loud as I'd hope and the bass isn't really that good on it. I'm looking for great bass and good headphones that sound great for metal music and I'm looking to spend only 100 to 130 for these and I really NEED SOME HELP!! I can't keep doing blind research and watching reviews because no one says anything about metal music so please someone help me!! I have til mid January to return these skullcandys. Please and thank you for the help!!

Dec 18, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #2 of 47
Do you need isolation or portability?

Without knowing that, I recommend the m-audio Q-40

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?is=REG&Q=&A=details&O=productlist&sku=529902

Dec 18, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #3 of 47
Well I'm not really good with all the technical terms for headphones and when you say portability I think of like how easy they are to carry or put away, honestly it doesn't matter to me. I'm all about the quality but at a fair price. Ive been looking at the sony xb500 extra bass headphones and I really want extra bass but I also want my music to sound good like i listen to rap and metal mainly so I need something that has good quality with bass so do you know anything or still consider those other headphones?

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #4 of 47
Grado headphones are a top choice if you like aggressive music genres like metal, they have a decent bass kick (not bass monsters) but they are open back and leak sound a lot. 

An alternative, the ultrasone HFI-580

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #6 of 47
Quote:
With grado, you say they have decent bass? Are all these suggestions better then the Hesh 2.0 supreme sound??

Yes, just the right amount of bass. I'm sure they are better than the skullcandy in terms on performance. 

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #8 of 47
Quote:
Audio-Technica ATH-M50S. Would these be good for what I'm looking for??

M50 with metal is not ideal to me. They have recessed mids, and congested soundstage. 

I think you'll be happy with the Ultrasone HFI-580, have any place where you can demo? 

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #10 of 47
Quote:
No I don't have much opportunity to try headphones out. I mean I only want to spend 130 at most and I really want good bass with nice sound quality

Like another headfier mentioned, the grado SR80i are in my opinion excellent sounding headphone's and their only  99$ U.S., like also mentioned they are not bass monster, they have the correct amount of bass, you will actually hear the drum stick's/foot hammer hitting the skins of the drums and the crisp sound of the ride/crash/splash/ hi-hat's beutifuly. They are a very, very realistic sounding headphone espeacialy for rock music. Price/performanc ratio I feel they cant be beat!

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #12 of 47
I listen to mostly rock but also metal frequently. I would recommend the v-moda m-80 as a strong choice. They sound excellent with metal and they pack great bass, bass is v-modas specialty. They are only on-ear headphones but they seem like a good match for you.

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #13 of 47
Oh my bad I hadn't seen your budget, these would go over. Anyways for your specification I might recommend you keep in-ear headphones as option. They are great at keeping music to yourself no matter how loud and your likely to get Better sound quality for the money

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #14 of 47
Haha it's all good but yeah it's just I have a loud pair of in ear headphones but I love the quality of over the ear headphones. I don't like how on ear headphones feel idk why. I feel like they fall off my head to easy because I really get into the music. I like to blast my music and I love have a nice bass sound because not only in rap does it sound beautiful, but also when listening to fast double bass in metal it sounds incredible and I just want to know what over the ear ones around 130 would be better then my current skullcandys. I want to try the Sony xb500 extra bass but has anyone reading these listened to metal with those on??

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #15 of 47
Quote:
Are those Grados over the ear?

These are supra-aural (on ear), they are also an open back headphone, so sounds leaks out! These headphones will sound like you are on the stage with the band, they sound nothing like the skull's. I am a very big fan of these headphones for their realistic sound, the instrument's especially the guitar and precussion sound extremely real, and the mid-range is very up front, bringing the vocal's right up on you (like your on stage).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back