Need help deciding on headphones!!!
Dec 19, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #16 of 47
I love Grados for metal and hard rock. Guitar sounds absolutely amazing. But they are considered bass light by many people. Ultrasone HFI-580s are great for bass heavy music, but they can't touch the Grados for metal and other types of rock. Also, in case you are looking to use these outside your home, the Ultrasones are very portable with pretty good isolation. The Grados are open; everyone can hear your music, and you can hear people talking--not good at all for portable use. 

I would suggest go with the Grados since metal seems to be your main love. You won't regret it. Then get some Ultrasones later on for listening to bass heavy music. I have a pair of each--Ultrasones for EDM, and Grados for hard rock--exactly for that reason 
smile.gif

If you go with the Grados, order the L-Cush pads that are used on the higher model Grados. They will improve the detail and the bass response (although not to the point that someone would call them a bass heavy phone). Definitely worth the extra $20. 

Dec 19, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #17 of 47
Quote:
I love Grados for metal and hard rock. Guitar sounds absolutely amazing. But they are considered bass light by many people. Ultrasone HFI-580s are great for bass heavy music, but they can't touch the Grados for metal and other types of rock. Also, in case you are looking to use these outside your home, the Ultrasones are very portable with pretty good isolation. The Grados are open; everyone can hear your music, and you can hear people talking--not good at all for portable use. 

I would suggest go with the Grados since metal seems to be your main love. You won't regret it. Then get some Ultrasones later on for listening to bass heavy music. I have a pair of each--Ultrasones for EDM, and Grados for hard rock--exactly for that reason 
smile.gif

If you go with the Grados, order the L-Cush pads that are used on the higher model Grados. They will improve the detail and the bass response (although not to the point that someone would call them a bass heavy phone). Definitely worth the extra $20. 

They also open up the soundstage which is better for metal too :)

Dec 19, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #18 of 47
You should not blast your ears
basshead.gif

The lowest listenable volume is the way to go. Loud is not better, both sound quality wise and for your ears

Dec 19, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #19 of 47
Thanks for all the advice. I'm still curious, is there anyway to make the Grados on ear into a over the ear like with the cushions I was told to purchase with them and also with the ultrasone I believe they are called, do they still sound good for metal music? Because I mean you can't get every genre to sound perfect haha.

Dec 19, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #20 of 47
Quote:
Thanks for all the advice. I'm still curious, is there anyway to make the Grados on ear into a over the ear like with the cushions I was told to purchase with them and also with the ultrasone I believe they are called, do they still sound good for metal music? Because I mean you can't get every genre to sound perfect haha.

The grado PS/GS1000 come with (G) cushions 45$ U.S. wich are cicumaural (around ear), meaning your ear sits inside the cushion wich rests on your head. They are supposed to bring out a different sound that from what I've read carry alot of different opinions. I've never heard them for myself, but plan to purchase a pair for my own experience, for now I have (L) cushions 20$ U.S. wich come stock on my alessandro/grado MS2i's, these were recommended by another head-fier to replace the (C) cushion 10$ U.S. wich is stock on the SR80i's. You will not go wrong with these headphone's, the raw sound is awesome for what you like and they also sound just fine with other genre's. Good luck and if you get them enjoy! BTW, all of these cushions fit on all grado's from the SR60i up to the PS1000.

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #21 of 47
Quote:

The Grados are considered the absolute best for metal and hard rock at their price point. So do the Ultrasones sound good for metal music? I demoed the HFI-580s and found them to have a little too much bass emphasis and went with the Ultrasone 780s instead. A little more refined than the 580s, and they are a little more balanced, making them better for a wider range of music. But I still like the SR80i over the HFI-780 for rock. 

Why the interest in making the Grados over the ear?

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #22 of 47
Quote:

The Grados are considered the absolute best for metal and hard rock at their price point. So do the Ultrasones sound good for metal music? I demoed the HFI-580s and found them to have a little too much bass emphasis and went with the Ultrasone 780s instead. A little more refined than the 580s, and they are a little more balanced, making them better for a wider range of music. But I still like the SR80i over the HFI-780 for rock. 

Myself personally, I just want to hear the sound difference with the drivers being further away from my ears, otherwise I have no problem at all with the sound/comfort with the (L) cushions. Maybe the other head-fier would want a circumaural cushion for comfort, I do beilieve he mentioned he would prefer a circumaural headphone.

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #23 of 47
It depends on what you are going for. Grado's will be laid back, detailed, and lean on bass. It is there, but little impact.

Closed phones to me most always have better bass impact. AT's, Sony's, Shures. I would also look at Ultrasones as others have suggested. Maybe even Senn HD-280.

Sony 7506 are a bit bright, but detailed, but not as much bass as you would expect from a closed phone. HD-280's have a better sound stage and better comfort. Ultrasones have the best bass impact to me with a great sound stage, but sacrificing a tad of detail. With metal, this loss is negligable.

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #24 of 47
Quote:
It depends on what you are going for. Grado's will be laid back, detailed, and lean on bass. It is there, but little impact.
Closed phones to me most always have better bass impact. AT's, Sony's, Shures. I would also look at Ultrasones as others have suggested. Maybe even Senn HD-280.
Sony 7506 are a bit bright, but detailed, but not as much bass as you would expect from a closed phone. HD-280's have a better sound stage and better comfort. Ultrasones have the best bass impact to me with a great sound stage, but sacrificing a tad of detail. With metal, this loss is negligable.

I've owned grado SR80i's and I now own alessandro MS2i's, wich I find the mid's to be laid back as compared to grado mid's being very up front wich I really enjoyed, it's what turned me into a grado fan.

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #25 of 47
Quote:

Earlier I mentioned that I am looking for over the ear headphones. I i want to be able to like rock out and headbang with these headphones and everytime I use on ear headphones they fall off. And im tired of in ear headphones. Yes I blare my music and its bad because it ruins my hearing but it's just what I do and I want to have loud noise that sounds good too for around 130. I like my skullcandy hesh supreme sounds but it just feels like i could return them and get my 54 bucks and with my christmas money I can get something much better for metal with more heavy bass tone then the skullcandys offer. I wondered if the skullcandy aviators would be better since they cost more but everyone on this site keep saying grados and ultrasone and i need factors to decide what i want. I'll give a very simple guidleine to what im looking for.

1.(MOST IMPORTANT) Over the ear
2. Good bass/heavy bass
3. Good sound quality for most types of music but mainly metal
4.priced maximum at 130
ALSO can someone tell me if 50mm drivers are better then 40mm drivers and whats the importance. 

I REALLY APPRECIATE THIS!
Im a newbie when it comes to headphones. Im only 17 ;P

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #26 of 47
Also I'm just a really weird music listener because I go from all types of metal to rap and to jazz and randomly christmas music(its my favorite) and alternative and hard rock. so yeah. haha. If that helps any.

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #27 of 47
Quote:
I've owned grado SR80i's and I now own alessandro MS2i's, wich I find the mid's to be laid back as compared to grado mid's being very up front wich I really enjoyed, it's what turned me into a grado fan.

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestige-Series-Stereo-Headphone/dp/B000G3LCQC/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header

These are the headphones you own correct? I've kinda been considering these but just can these become over the ear and do i need to buy an adapter to use it with my ipod/iphone or is it a 3.5mm jack? I mean I don't want to buy something that won't work with my iphone and ipod. 

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #28 of 47
Quote:
http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestige-Series-Stereo-Headphone/dp/B000G3LCQC/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header

These are the headphones you own correct? I've kinda been considering these but just can these become over the ear and do i need to buy an adapter to use it with my ipod/iphone or is it a 3.5mm jack? I mean I don't want to buy something that won't work with my iphone and ipod. 

If you are talking about the grado SR80's, I previously owned them and yes they come with a 1/8 connector, and you can also purchase (G) cushions from grado wich are around ear- not on ear cushions . The SR80i's come with (S) cushions wich are on ear. Currently I own alessandro/grado MS2i's

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #29 of 47
Quote:
If you are talking about the grado SR80's, I previously owned them and yes they come with a 1/8 connector, and you can also purchase (G) cushions from grado wich are around ear- not on ear cushions . The SR80i's come with (S) cushions wich are on ear. Currently I own alessandro/grado MS2i's

So when I buy them, if I do, they will work out of the box with my ipod? And the G cushions you say, do I just put those over the S cushions or do I remove the S cushions and do they ruin the quality in sound?

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #30 of 47
Yes they will plug directly into your ipod, also you change the cushions by swaping them out (they slip right on/off). I have yet to hear the sound difference with the (G) cushion, I have (L) cushions wich are stock on the MS2i's, so I cant comment on them. The (S) cushions that come with the SR80's are comfortable even though they are on ear. I highly recommend the SR80i's, you will not be dissapointed. In the future I'm going to purchase (G) cushions, around ear, for my own experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back