Need closed headphones with good sound stage
Sep 11, 2010 at 2:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

rpetrucha

New Head-Fier
I'm going to get straight to the point instead of writing up a long paragraph.

I currently have PC350's. I am aware that these were a poor choice. I'm looking for closed headphones, isolation is important to me. Portability is not important. I listen to mostly metal. I play FPS games competitively and NEED a good sound stage. I also would prefer to be able to buy these headphones retail. Price range Free-$250ish if I have to. Currently liking how the SRH840s look but I really know nothing about them.

I live near Vancouver in British Columbia, Canada. This is one store that I know of to buy things like this, if anyone knows of any others please inform me.

http://www.long-mcquade.com/departments/43/

Thanks in advance!

Sep 11, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #4 of 30
I've heard some great things about the a700s as well but I don't know where I could find them retail. I hear the PC350s/PCX350s are similar to the HD555s but closed. Has anyone tried the SRH840s and HD555s or even better PC/PCX350s? If so I'd like to know how how they compare, and if it will be worth it to switch from PC350s to SRH840s.

Sep 11, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #7 of 30
Ultrasones

Sep 11, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #8 of 30
How about those Denons? The lower range one with the black back. I forget what it's called. It's in your range and I love the way they look. Never heard them...

Sep 11, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #10 of 30

Quote:
I'm going to get straight to the point instead of writing up a long paragraph.

I currently have PC350's. I am aware that these were a poor choice. I'm looking for closed headphones, isolation is important to me. Portability is not important. I listen to mostly metal. I play FPS games competitively and NEED a good sound stage. I also would prefer to be able to buy these headphones retail. Price range Free-$250ish if I have to. Currently liking how the SRH840s look but I really know nothing about them.

I live near Vancouver in British Columbia, Canada. This is one store that I know of to buy things like this, if anyone knows of any others please inform me.

http://www.long-mcquade.com/departments/43/

Thanks in advance!

Really liked my SRH840 after comparing them to 4 other closed headphones (DT770-80, K271, DT250, D5000).  But their soundstage was not their strong suit.  DT770-80 and D5000 have better soundstage, but the former are very unbalanced in sound (excessive highs and bass, weak mids) and the latter have relatively little isolation.  If you want them primarily for gaming, I'd recommend the DT770-80- a gamer in this forum once wrote that they excel at sound localization and he had been accused of cheating.  For music, the D5000 are much more pleasing and well balanced.  They might be good for gaming too, but I haven't tried them for that so can't say from experience.  People say that the DT770-250/600 ohm have a much more balanced sound.  If they have the soundstage of the 80 ohm, they might be the best of all worlds.  You might want to ask/pm people who have those in their signature.

Sep 11, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #11 of 30
I would absolutely recommend the Sennheiser HD 201s. They aren't considered very high grade phones, but I think they are incredible and they have a great sound stage. Every instrument seems well placed and you can tell there is a spaciousness to the sound.

Sep 11, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #13 of 30
The DT770/600's have decent soundstage. I am listening to them as I am typing this..
beyersmile.png

Sep 11, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #15 of 30
Thanks for all the replies. While positioning is very important to me, I feel like I love music just as much as I do gaming. I'm not only looking for positioning. To be completely honest, if you pay attention enough you can usually tell where something is even on terrible headphones simply because you know what it sounds like on those headphones, not because they're realistic at all. What matters more to me now that I think about it is the ability to distinguish individual sounds from each other. For example - hearing footsteps through the gunfire and ambient noise. So I guess since the soundstage is going to be decent enough on all of these anyway, what I'm really looking for is definition in the sounds so the don't sort of blend in with each other. Sorry for not knowing the correct terminology, but that's the best description I can give.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back