need cans advice for dr dac 2
Jan 13, 2011 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

maybeyes

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm going on a couple months buisness trip to Thailand, I ordered a audiotrak dr dac 2 to take with me and have quality sound avaiable at my hotel room.

I m now thinking about a pair of cans, looking at akg k701/702 but I m unsure if the dr dac will be able to power them.

My choices are slightly limited, since not everything is avaiable where I am now, here are a few cans I m deliberating:

AKG 271 mkII or 701/702
ATH ESW9
Grado 60 125 or others?

My maximal budget is 400$ But if I can spend 100$ less its fine.

I'm looking for something that will sound decent for traveling conditions. I allready decided to carry the DAC around with me, and I probably dont want to also carry a desktop amp as I will travel between cities. But I'd like to be able to plug them into a real tube amp or something like a Matrix m-stage in a couple months back home and possibly enjoy their full potential.

I do listen to hip hop, then blues Muddy waters, Ellington, rock (Led zep, Pink Floyd) all in flac. I m using a denon f107 at home for now, and also an move around with an ipod with some cheap senheier IEM's, but less and less as I find these in ears annoying and muddy after I listen on the denon, so. From what i read on the forum it seems unpossible for the k701's but could the ipod drive the smaller and closed AKG 271mkII without an amp for the plane flight?

Lastly I want something comfortable enough, I will be able wear for extended periods of time at work, so both AKG's seem to be better on this point?

I m newbie to headphones listening. This is a great forum, I learned a lot from you guys.

Any suggestions/comments please? Thanks to everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back