Need an headphone around $150 + amp/dac
Sep 11, 2011 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

anonuserheadfi

New Head-Fier
I have been using computer speakers, since I stay at home most of the times.
Recently, out of no where.. I wanted to buy an headphone really bad. (lol)

What would be an average audiophile headphone to buy for around $150?
I am planning to use it for couple of years so..
(I really wanted those headphones around $500, but I ran out of my budget.)

I am looking for "neutral" sounding headphones. (well all averaged out for producing and listening. Not a heavy bass fan, but I do listen to them)
I use Ableton Live often, and I often listen to variety of music.

(Sorry, there must be a lot of dupilcated threads similar to this. You can just give me the model, and I will look it up)
Closed is more preferred.

Sep 11, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #6 of 29
Let me be the first to recommend the Shure SRH840. They are decently neutral and very good for what you want. Also they can be found for around $140 on amazon.

Sep 11, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #7 of 29
I'd recommend the Sony MDR-7506...they sound fantastic and it seems like they don't appear on head-fi a lot now a days :p

Sep 11, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #8 of 29
I kind of change my mind half way. I read it on the other thread that headphones are not really for "producing/mixing" ...
For a 150 dollars, would you guys recommend a studio monitor or headphone?
I don't really mind either one. Looking for sound quality more than anything else..

Sep 12, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #11 of 29
I second this post by MalVeaux.  The AKG K240 MK II is a very nice phone and not nearly as bassy as the M50.  If you have a chance try both and decide which you like best.  The M50 is a very nice phone and among the winners of the $150 and under category.  AKG on the other hand is a company that if you randomly pulled a headphone from their rack you would have a nice pair 80% or more of the time.  They really make great stuff.

Quote:
Heya,

Fischer Audio FA-002
AKG K240 MK II

M50 is too bass heavy, in my opinion, for producing. Plus, it's just not that great for listening either.

Very best,

Sep 13, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #12 of 29
I searched AKG K240 MKII, and some people are saying that Sennheiser is much better.
Please provide me some feedbacks.
I would choose AKG more, because I prefer semi-open compared to open, but that's one of my least concerns.

Sep 13, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #13 of 29
Sorryyto add, but my friend told me if I get an audiophile headphone, I need to buy an "dac" and an amp for the headphone. Woulf it be fine for me to use none but headphome itself to directly connect to the computer or an ipad?

Sep 14, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #14 of 29
Sennheiser HD25II ?
1916-sennheiser-hd-25-ii--large.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back