Need an 'All Rounder' (TMA-1s are just so dark)
Apr 18, 2011 at 12:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

MorbidToaster

Headphoneus Supremus
Look for a portable headphone that is a good all rounder. Bass is important, but all around good sound is the main focus. I love my TMA-1s, but they're so ridiculously dark that it's tough to listen to some kinds of music out of them. For example, I listen to quite a bit of Solo Guitar music, and the TMA-1 don't shine there. Thinking a pair of ESW9s after hearing them at a meet yesterday, but they feel somewhat fragile, which worried me. I don't abuse my headphones, but I like a nice weight, too.

Suggestions?

EDIT: They don't need to fold, but know that I don't consider the M50 portable. lol

Apr 19, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #3 of 10
I'd toss in the Phiaton MS400 as a possibility, too.

(Though I'm really getting more and more curious about the HD25, personally. Argh. I've already tried/own/owned the 750DJ, M50, HD428, MS400, and the Klipsch S4. And the HD25 isn't the only one I'm curious about... I mean... I still want to hear the Ultrasone sound... the Beyers sound... and the TMA-1... why, head-fi, WHY?)

Apr 19, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #4 of 10
I can recommend the ATH-ES10 or the HD25 for strictly portable usage.
I'd toss in the Phiaton MS400 as a possibility, too.

(Though I'm really getting more and more curious about the HD25, personally. Argh. I've already tried/own/owned the 750DJ, M50, HD428, MS400, and the Klipsch S4. And the HD25 isn't the only one I'm curious about... I mean... I still want to hear the Ultrasone sound... the Beyers sound... and the TMA-1... why, head-fi, WHY?)

Buy my TMA-1 so I can buy some ES10s. lol.

That's the headphone I really want, honestly. The ESW10. There's one on the forums but until something sells on Craigslist I can't do it right now.

Oh, and I can't wear the 25s. They were one of my first high end headphones and I sold them shortly after I got them as I have a big head and wear glasses. They were ridiculously uncomfortable...

I loved their sound though.

Apr 19, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #5 of 10
I have the ES10 not the ESW10. I have no idea how they sound in comparison to eachother.

The one thing I don't understand is why the ES10 doesn't come with a leather headband or leather earpads like it's wooden brother considering the price.

Apr 19, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #6 of 10
I have the ES10 not the ESW10. I have no idea how they sound in comparison to eachother.

The one thing I don't understand is why the ES10 doesn't come with a leather headband or leather earpads like it's wooden brother considering the price.

I'd take either one if the price were right. I like the ESW10 for looks and I've heard it has a slightly warmer sound than the ES10. They're both just good looking (and from what i hear) good sounding portables.

Apr 19, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #7 of 10
I do think the ES10s were a bit pricey, but they are my fave portable over-ear can (the Edition 8s don't count because I'm not sure I'd take them outside!). They are the only ones I don't feel self-concious wearing outdoors due to their sexy titanium cups and low profile. They don't have the best isolation, but with music playing they are fine. I also think they pair quite well with the Headstage Arrow which I see you have on order.

Apr 19, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #8 of 10
I do think the ES10s were a bit pricey, but they are my fave portable over-ear can (the Edition 8s don't count because I'm not sure I'd take them outside!). They are the only ones I don't feel self-concious wearing outdoors due to their sexy titanium cups and low profile. They don't have the best isolation, but with music playing they are fine. I also think they pair quite well with the Headstage Arrow which I see you have on order.

They're looking like around 400 for one of the ES10 models. I want some ;~;

Apr 19, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #9 of 10
Is there anywhere you can listen to a pair?

I gambled on a pair based purely on the few descriptions on Head-Fi and was not disappointed, but it is a lot to spend if you find you don't like their signature.

Apr 19, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #10 of 10
Is there anywhere you can listen to a pair?

I gambled on a pair based purely on the few descriptions on Head-Fi and was not disappointed, but it is a lot to spend if you find you don't like their signature.

I liked the ESW9 sound when I heard it, and I've heard it's similar but better. I don't know where people ever demo headphones. All of my buys have been blind. My first unblind buy will be the HE 6 down the line. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back