Nov 2, 2007 at 10:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

JonM

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for an amp.

specifications
For: Beyer DT770 -80 - Hooked up to my computer at home
DAC: Included, or suggest a cheap one
Price: around $200. Lower the better

I just want something that makes my headphones rumble (want to get the bass out of the dt770's), nothing too top of the line or anything. I know very little about amps. I've been trying to research them for awhile now but its very confusing where to find them (with alot of them being made by small companies and such).

any suggestions welcome. Thanks alot

Nov 2, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for an amp.

specifications

I just want something that makes my headphones rumble (want to get the bass out of the dt770's), nothing too top of the line or anything. I know very little about amps. I've been trying to research them for awhile now but its very confusing where to find them (with alot of them being made by small companies and such).

Total Bithead from Headroom. At $150, it has a built-in DAC, has a long life with 4xAAA, or can be powered from USB. It comes in a solid enclosure and has a reputable company that stands behind it. And it sounds good with DT770-80.

Nov 2, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #3 of 17
Corda Headfive/Arietta and then Entec Number Cruncher/203.2.

Nov 2, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #4 of 17
I second any of Jan Meier's amps. The Corda series just seem to really work well with Beyer's. I am using an HA-2 MKII SE and it is certainly the best amp I've heard with my DT-770's. You should be able to find a Headfive or HA-1 MKII for that price.

Aditya

Nov 5, 2007 at 8:14 AM Post #5 of 17
Yah I was looking heavily into meier amps.

Quick question, would a decent *sound* card work as a dac? Basically im worried about static since I already get noticeable noise (when no sound is playing with my on board audio).

Nov 5, 2007 at 8:30 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Quick question, would a decent video card work as a dac? Basically im worried about static since I already get noticeable noise (when no sound is playing with my on board audio).

video card is video... it display graphics
DAC is audio... converts digital signal to analog. i dont see how they 2 can be related.

with that aside, i think you shouldnt invest into an amp, if you are already hearing a lot of noise with your onboard audio, an amp will just amplify that and it will be worse. you probably better off investing into a nice external DAC such as the Beresford TC-7510 (http://www.homehifi.co.uk/main/main.html). this DAC also comes with a very good built-in amp that works just as well as a stand-alone amp. it drives my K701 no problem. the Beresford is $200, and by doing this, you are going to improve your sound quality drastically, at the same time you will also have an amp. its like killing two birds with one stone
biggrin.gif

Nov 5, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

I'm looking for an amp.

specifications

Were you looking for a portable amp or a desktop/home amp?
It would make a big difference on what suggestions you would get.

Nov 6, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Were you looking for a portable amp or a desktop/home amp?
It would make a big difference on what suggestions you would get.

Desktop/Home. I have no use for a portable amp.

Quote:

video card is video... it display graphics
DAC is audio... converts digital signal to analog. i dont see how they 2 can be related.

Yah typo, I meant sound card. Thanks for the suggestion aswell. That is more along the lines of what I was looking for, something that combines the dac with headphone amp, is the the best option available? other opinions?

Nov 6, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Yah typo, I meant sound card. Thanks for the suggestion aswell. That is more along the lines of what I was looking for, something that combines the dac with headphone amp, is the the best option available? other opinions?

yes, i can assure you this is the best option available for $200. fits your bill nicely. the beresford is one of the most praised DAC on this forum(and other forums). for its price, its is amongst the best of the best. sound quality you are gonna get out of this can match those of many higher end units

now after said all that. i would need to be able to back all that up right? here you go
k1000smile.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=256994
http://www.headphonesrock.com/Beresford-TC-7510.html

Nov 6, 2007 at 8:03 AM Post #12 of 17
Wow, I may just buy the 7510 to drive my DT-770s also. I was planning on waiting for the D1 to come back in, but I don't need portability and this thing looks pretty nice. I just might be saying adios to another $200 tomorrow.

Nov 6, 2007 at 9:11 AM Post #15 of 17
get emu 0404 usb..source and amp upgrade in 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back