Need advice on new IEMs sub 100$ / £70
Aug 15, 2011 at 5:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Reso88

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I love music but have always settled for cheap as I can get headphones, but now I would like to try and get more out of my music. I'm looking for some IEMs in the sub 100$ / £70 price range, I won't be using an Amp or anything, just my iPod. As for music tastes, I listen to a lot of different music, classical, new age, game osts, etc. While I'd prefer it not to be lacking, bass is probably the least important. I'm also not fond of any IEM you have to wear over the ear, although I have never tried them (just afraid I won't like it, haha).

I've been looking at the Phonak Audeo PFEs and the RE0s, but I honestly feel a little in over my head here. Can anyone recommend a nice set based on the criteria above? Thanks for your time!

EDIT: I regret saying that bass isn't a requirement, a balanced set (if possible) would probably be best

Aug 15, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #3 of 12
I was thinking the same and that maybe I should spend more, but I'm not using an amp and have never bought anything high end before.. I think I would rather experiment than take a big gamble and maybe not like the item on 1st purchase.. hard to decide :p

Thanks for your input! Any other opinions?

Aug 16, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #4 of 12
HeadDirect RE0 (only $79 from their site), Shure SE215's also pretty nice but they do go over the ear and the way the detachable cable swirls freely is bothersome when putting them on. I've never listened to the Sunrise SW-Xcape but they are supposed to be just as balanced if not more balanced than the RE0

Aug 16, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #6 of 12
Agreed on the M3...probably the most well rounded under 100.  Love them...

The Phonaks are good too, but they are over the ear only...so you may not like them because of the wear style.

Aug 16, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #7 of 12
With no insult intended to other posters, I question the wisdom of going to a higher price bracket. This is an un-modded and un-amped iPod, not a Hitman 801! No one has even asked which model it is - and the potential for sound quality varies quite a bit.

An IEM that should get most of the available quality from a stock iPod doesn't have to be expensive. Take a look at this

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-188-iems-compared-dunu-dn-12-trident-dn-16-hephaes-added-8-10

There are thoroughly decent matches for an iPod in Joker's review that you can buy on Amazon for around thirty pounds - you might not even want to spend all the budget that you do have.

Aug 16, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #8 of 12
Sound quality differences aside, I think the IEM's would be the bottleneck before the iPod would. And even then, I think the differences between more expensive IEM's and cheaper ones would be greater than from iPod to iPod. Also you're making it sound like all more expensive IEM's need amping and that just isn't the case.

Aug 17, 2011 at 7:18 AM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
Sound quality differences aside, I think the IEM's would be the bottleneck before the iPod would. And even then, I think the differences between more expensive IEM's and cheaper ones would be greater than from iPod to iPod. 

Then you must have a very low opinion of iPod amps, because you're assuming that they'll wipe out a substantial variation in quality of DAC.

Quote:
Also you're making it sound like all more expensive IEM's need amping and that just isn't the case.

Read again.

Also, if someone does want to impose sane budget limitations, than for their cash they probably want an IEM that will last for a while and with a good warranty behind it. I'd suggest that means avoiding the RE 0s (which have a rep for superb sound but also a long trail of stories about quick deaths) and perhaps some other offshore boutique brands and, ideally, buying from a major manufacturer and/or retailer. (Retailers have a very strong duty to replace or refund on broken goods in the UK, if you're willing to hold them to the letter of the law - which is hassle.) There's a lot to be said for flicking through Amazon.co.uk looking at the Sony, Creative, Klipsch and Sennheiser offerings, and cross-referencing them with Joker's review thread. (I love my JVCs, but they usually need a lot of EQ to tame the bass, which isn't an iPod strength.)

Aug 17, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #10 of 12
I suggest the Panasonic RP-HJE900 Zirconia, but I'm not sure how much you can get them for or where you can get them. You could also look at PL-50's, UE700's and hf3's.

Aug 17, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #11 of 12
RE-ZERO, RE0, Sony EX510(balanced and detailed in mids n highs with deep tight bass and wider soundstage, highely recommended), UE600 and HF3.

Aug 17, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
Then you must have a very low opinion of iPod amps, because you're assuming that they'll wipe out a substantial variation in quality of DAC.

Read again.

Also, if someone does want to impose sane budget limitations, than for their cash they probably want an IEM that will last for a while and with a good warranty behind it. I'd suggest that means avoiding the RE 0s (which have a rep for superb sound but also a long trail of stories about quick deaths) and perhaps some other offshore boutique brands and, ideally, buying from a major manufacturer and/or retailer. (Retailers have a very strong duty to replace or refund on broken goods in the UK, if you're willing to hold them to the letter of the law - which is hassle.) There's a lot to be said for flicking through Amazon.co.uk looking at the Sony, Creative, Klipsch and Sennheiser offerings, and cross-referencing them with Joker's review thread. (I love my JVCs, but they usually need a lot of EQ to tame the bass, which isn't an iPod strength.)

I think we confused eachother with the first part. What I'm saying is that given almost any of the iPods, an IEM with higher sound quality and most likely price will give more of a perceived performance difference than getting low end IEM's that are pushed as far as they can go from an iPod. Hence the IEM's would be a bottleneck before the iPod in my previous post. And I have nothing against amps, If I had the funds and could get over having to rubberband the amp to my iPhone 4, I'd see what an amp can do for my IEMs. I was just trying to say that you made it sound like most higher priced IEMs would need an amp and just don't feel that's true.

I agree that OP should definitely cross reference reviews like Jokers for IEM's that he(?) can purchase from his chosen dealer(s) and make an informed decision based on his budget. I also agree that native iPod EQ is absolutely terrible. I personally would rather find IEM's that match what I want originally than play around with the EQ. The purist in me feels like he can always hear the software EQ and then I'm not enjoying the music, no need for more middlemen than the DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back