Need advice on getting headphone
Jun 28, 2011 at 1:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

stexzedio

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, i'm new here and i'm new in headphone stuff. I wanted to get myself a new headphone, but i'm not sure which one to get.
mostly i'm listening to Pop, Classical, Blues, Jazz, and Acoustic.
i have done some research, and what my friend told me to get is, Sennheiser PX-100ii, what do you guys think?

Thanks in advanced for the guiding.

Jun 28, 2011 at 5:49 AM Post #2 of 21

Quote:
Hi guys, i'm new here and i'm new in headphone stuff. I wanted to get myself a new headphone, but i'm not sure which one to get.
mostly i'm listening to Pop, Classical, Blues, Jazz, and Acoustic.
i have done some research, and what my friend told me to get is, Sennheiser PX-100ii, what do you guys think?

Thanks in advanced for the guiding.

Heya,

Budget?
Need portability (ie, folds)?
Do you already have an amplifier?
What is the source of your music?
What bitrate/level-of-losslessness is your music if digital?
Style preference?
Size preference?
Need isolation (closed, open-air)?
Cup material preference (cloth vs. other)?
Circumaural (around the ears) or supra-aural (sits on ears) cups?

Based on your genres, I already want to suggest an open-air headphone to you.

Without knowing the above, it's pretty much just a "will suggest what I have/like to someone else" sort of thing. Try and fill out more information for us.

Knowing nothing, I'll just suggest a starting point to either entice or scare you: BeyerDynamic DT880 600ohm with an E7/E9 DAC/AMP.

Very best,

Jul 20, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #3 of 21
Hi, thank you so much for replying my thread.
here are some answer i know :)

Budget= Not more than $100 i guess

Need portability (ie, folds)? = Would love to

Do you already have an amplifier?= No i don't have (plan to get one after get my headphone)

What is the source of your music? = I'll usually listen from my ipod and PC

What bitrate/level-of-losslessness is your music if digital?= I have no idea :p

Style preference? = ?

Size preference?= Portable ?

Need isolation (closed, open-air)? = Open air should be okay

Cup material preference (cloth vs. other)? = Could you suggest ?

Circumaural (around the ears) or supra-aural (sits on ears) cups? =...

Wow.. BeyerDynamic DT880 600ohm with an E7/E9 DAC/AMP.
ir
a big monster haha

i would probably start on something in my budget first.

Jul 20, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #4 of 21

Quote:
Hi, thank you so much for replying my thread.
here are some answer i know :)

Budget= Not more than $100 i guess

Need portability (ie, folds)? = Would love to

Do you already have an amplifier?= No i don't have (plan to get one after get my headphone)

What is the source of your music? = I'll usually listen from my ipod and PC

What bitrate/level-of-losslessness is your music if digital?= I have no idea :p

Style preference? = ?

Size preference?= Portable ?

Need isolation (closed, open-air)? = Open air should be okay

Cup material preference (cloth vs. other)? = Could you suggest ?

Circumaural (around the ears) or supra-aural (sits on ears) cups? =...

Wow.. BeyerDynamic DT880 600ohm with an E7/E9 DAC/AMP.
ir
a big monster haha

i would probably start on something in my budget first.

Portable, I would say MDR-V6 because they do Pop and acoustics well, but then portable headphones is a different forum.

What's your idea of portable? Fold up into pocket or wear around neck regardless?

Jul 20, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #5 of 21
How about the sens PX100-ii? i have been reading the thread saying that, the sound is very bass, dark and warm kind of sound? sorry about that i didnt know about the forum places.
so you would recommend me the sony one?
like the PX100-ii will do actually :) portable

Jul 21, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #7 of 21
I will highely recommend to try Samson SR850 and they sound superb for the price. You can add AMPs with it like Fiio E5 and Fiio dock cable for ipod use.

Jul 24, 2011 at 3:47 AM Post #9 of 21

Quote:
hmmm... i would prefer it to be portable, since i travel a lot :) hehehe

Do you think Grado are portable?

then stay here

If not, go to the portable headphones section

Jul 24, 2011 at 5:20 AM Post #11 of 21
Superlux's Headphones (Closed, semi-open and open types///Cheap///Circumaural///High reviews for some pairs)

PORTABLE - AKG K430 (Closed///Cheap (on eBay)///Supra-aural///Great highs, okay mids, so-so lows and okay bass)

PORTABLE - AIAIAI Tracks (Closed///Okay price///Supra-aural///High reviews)

PORTABLE - V-Jays (Closed///Okay price///Supra-aural///High reviews)

Sony MDR-V6 (Closed///Okay price///Circumaural?///High reviews)

PORTABLE - Koss KSC-75 (Closed///Cheap///Clip-on?///High reviews)

PORTABLE - AKG K518/K81 (Closed///Okay price///Supra-aural?///High reviews)

PORTABLE - Sennheiser PX100-II/200-II (PX100 = Open, PX200 = Closed///Okay price///Both supra-aural///High reviews)

These were the headphones that I was intending to buy when I was looking for a pair of headphones under the price of $100. I eventually brought the AKG K430 due to it being cheap and very portable, but I still want the PX200-II :wink:

Goodluck on your search!

Jul 25, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #13 of 21

Quote:
Thank you so much Mooshimuushi, for the review XD
I'll look into it :)

Thanks.

No problemos. Best of luck looking for your pair of headphones! I was in many dilemmas back then :wink:

Jul 25, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #14 of 21
I'm a new member too! I came here looking for a pair of great headphones that could replace speakers in my tiny dorm room in college. I can share a few things you might find useful.

I'm assuming since you want open-back headphones that you'll be using these mostly at home or in environments that aren't particularly too public (such as a cafe, coffee shop, classroom). I have AKG K240 MkII's, which are semi-open back, and there's a lot of ambient noise that filters in despite a relatively high volume. I find that they're really good when I've got time to myself and I can swim around in my music or my movies. I once used them in a car while on the highway and had to turn up to about 80% volume to drown out everything. This was unamplified (directly from source, which was a smartphone).

Along those lines, I'd suggest Grado's. I've heard good things about them and once had the small opportunity to listen to what I believe were SR60i's. I've heard them being compared to headphones three to four times their price, and that they're a bit more bassy than more studio-ish or higher end headphones. I'd basically say these are good for the lows and are a bit heavier on the bass. For the music you say you listen to, I'd actually recommend some of the SHURE headphones, namely the SRH440. I had the opportunity to try that and the SRH840, and found the 840's are pretty good, although the difference in overall quality and feel don't particularly warrant a 40-60 dollar price margin. I also had a couple recommendations point me the way of KOSS Portapro's.

I think you've got a good start though; 80-120 USD is a great range to get yourself very decent or very good headphones. Any higher, and you tend to get into very subtle nuances that are more practically important to audio engineers, recording professionals, DJ's, etc. It's fine for a person that loves his audio to death to buy 500 dollar headphones, but in my opinion, you'll get some of the good things from the high end audio market as well as what any general consumer will want (and more) right in that range.

Good luck. Maybe you'll find yourself a great pair of headphones like I did.

When you do find that pair, consider an amp. They'll make any pair of headphones shine. I'm investing in a PA2V2, which might be a good place to start looking once you're in the market for a portable amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back