Need Advice HFI-780 vs AHD2000, Quality, Comfort (glasses)?
Sep 29, 2010 at 11:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

k923

New Head-Fier
I need a new pair of phones, got original bose a couple years ago and they finally broke.  After doing some research I think I have narrowed it down to HFI780s or AHD2000s.  My requirments:

quality of sound (I'm no audiophile, just looking for something good for the price)
Used for all types of music and video (will mainly be used for computer/iphone listening to mainly alternative, some hip hop, rap, rock, etc.)
The most important thing for me would be comfort I need a pair that I can wear with glasses and is super comfortable.

They need to be closed and isolated as other people are always in the room.  The bose were good but dont want noise cancellation anymore.

Would either of these pairs be good for this, how comfortable are they. Does anybody have any other recommendations. Thanks.

Sep 29, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #2 of 11
I have owned the HFI 780's, tried on the AHD2000, and currently own AHD7000's which fit about identically to the AHD2000.

Comfort with glasses:  the HFI 780's are really pretty uncomfortable. Vice-like grip, press the glasses into your head unless you run the earpieces over the top of the earcup pads (I do this with all headphones), and the top pad works like a wedge driving into your skull.  The isolation is very good, though.  Beyerdynamic velour pads help.  They do stay on your head if you are being active.  They are a bit heavy.

The Denon's are the most comfortable headphone I've owned.  The isolation in both directions is poor, with more leaking in than out.

The sound signature could not be more different between the two.

Sep 29, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #6 of 11
I'm not really int rested in IEM but thanks.  Isolation is important but not as important as comfort.  With that said do you guys have any other recommendations.  Thanks so far.

Sep 30, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #8 of 11
When I had my HFI-780 I took off my glasses whenever I went to use them, as they pushes the glasses frame in a way which makes them unconformable on your head.It might be because of the pleather ear pads.

Sep 30, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
Quick comment to say the HFI-780 are somewhat uncomfortable and likely improbable for glasses, the D2000 are a lot comfier and do not squeeze the head. That said the D2000 is probably the worst headphone I've owned, while the HFI-780 is a favorite of mine.

And this is a true demonstration that different people like different sound signatures - you really need to listen to decide what you like.  The Denon's are favorites of mine.  After about a year of modding and trying, I gave up on the HFI 780's...

Sep 30, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
And this is a true demonstration that different people like different sound signatures - you really need to listen to decide what you like.  The Denon's are favorites of mine.  After about a year of modding and trying, I gave up on the HFI 780's...

Yeah it is true people like different sounds, as others have said in the past you either love or hate the Ultrasone technology. In regards to the Denons, I found the JVC RX700 to be better balanced while retaining the Denon sound signature, I won't go into it now but they're $33 and should work well for people with glasses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back