Need A Recommendation ~$160 Sennheiser Not A Option
Feb 15, 2013 at 10:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Jakoul

New Head-Fier
I currently have a pair of cheap Sony MDR-V150s which feel and sound great for only $20 but I have moved in with my friend. Our desktops are right next to each other and they have a tendency to yell in to their microphones which in turn hurt my ears.

Said friend is offering to buy me a new pair of headphones so that my ears don't hurt so they need to be closed and and but heavy on the bass. I would ask for a pair of AD700s but those are open. The price limit is $160 and sadly Sennheiser is not a option as those tend have thin cords and I have a kitten that loves to attack cords.

I can usually tell the subtle differences between codecs and would like something that is entry audiophile level. That being said I would prefer the bass to be mild, weak or at the very least not over power the other sounds. I also wear glasses and do not have a amp (nor plan on getting one).

Looking at the ATH-M50 but would love recommendations from everyone.

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #3 of 17
Beyerdynamic DT770's in 80 Ohm fit your requirements perfectly. The most viable options would probably be those and the M50's you mentioned.

DT770s are under $160? Also forgot to mention I do not have nor will be getting a amp.

Edit: If I were to get the ATH-M50s are there any other recommended sites other than Amazon? If not, which one do I purchase on amazon? (there are three, $125 $135 and ATH-M50S)

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #4 of 17
You can get the DT770's from cobrasonics on ebay for under your price. They have a good reputation here and are reliable. But they only list 2 at a time so they sell out fast. Just keep your eyes out and they'll have them listed. These headphones benefit from amping more than the M50's do, but they sound decent without an amp compared to other headphones at a similar price. Do a little sleuthing of comparisons between the two, they're very close. For my purposes I chose the DT770's, but you might find the M50's fit you better.

Feb 16, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #6 of 17
For DT 770/880/990, and Sennheiser HD 600's, a lot more deals are on Ebay than they are on Amazon. I've seen the DT 770 being sold for 130-150 fairly regularly.
You can get the DT770's from cobrasonics on ebay for under your price. They have a good reputation here and are reliable. But they only list 2 at a time so they sell out fast. Just keep your eyes out and they'll have them listed. These headphones benefit from amping more than the M50's do, but they sound decent without an amp compared to other headphones at a similar price. Do a little sleuthing of comparisons between the two, they're very close. For my purposes I chose the DT770's, but you might find the M50's fit you better.
Beyerdynamic DT770's in 80 Ohm fit your requirements perfectly. The most viable options would probably be those and the M50's you mentioned.

If I were to order a pair of DT 770s 80mhs would they sound leagues above my MDR-V150s even without a amp? If so I will order a pair and get a amp later. The main things I want right now are something that doesn't hurt my head because of my glasses, blocks out outside sounds and sounds decent.

Edit:

Maybe I should put this differently. $160 is the maximum and not the range I am looking for. I want something that is overall neutral with enough bass for me to know it is there but not really boom. I listen to all genres including hip-hop, all forms of electronica, all forms of rock, metal and sometimes classical. I prefer to hear the detail in instruments and vocals as much as possible. I will not be using these with a amp but may get one eventually if the headphones benefit from it a lot. I will be using these over my glasses for hours upon hours and they need to be isolated well with not that much of a clamp force as it can give me a headache.

That all being said are DT 770s or M50s still the best option for me? If I cheaped out and got the M50s would I notice any negative differences compared to my $20 MDR-V150s?

Feb 16, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #7 of 17
Haven't heard the MDR-V150's, but I can tell you that the DT770s are very comfortable and block out noise well. From what I've heard, the M50's block more noise, but they are much less comfortable.

Just saw that you added that you're looking for headphones that aren't bass heavy. The M50's and DT770 80 ohms do have boosted bass, but it isn't an insane amount. The 250 or 600 ohm versions of the DT770 are more neutral, but they have a greater need for an amp. If you're looking for neutral closed headphones, you could also look at the Shure 840's or AKG K550's. The Shures are not as comfortable or durable, though, and the AKG's can have seal problems and will be difficult to find within your price range (used, maybe?).

Feb 16, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #8 of 17
Bose AE2 would be my initial suggestion - excellent passive isolation (better than most closed headphones), comfortable, and they sound good enough. They aren't perfect, but they should satisfy what you want (I'm noting isolation as a primary desire). Less money, I'd look at the Koss DJ100 or MV1 (MV1 will isolate more, and sound better, but need an amplifier unless your current device can handle their 250R nominal impedance (they're inexpensive enough to give you a few bucks to grab a FiiO amp though, so I wouldn't write them off)).

M50 would be fine too, they're less comfortable than the AE2 imho (they're heavier and clamp more), and have a lesser soundstage than many headphones ime, but provide decent passive isolation. They also probably cost less than the above options (except the DJ100) - as far as which one to buy, the version differences relate to color (black, white, or the silver/blue limited edition) and cable (straight or coiled); it's basically down to preference as far as which one you want. IMHO the limited edition are the best looking, but if they cost more it might not make sense just for aesthetics. :xf_eek:

Feb 16, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #9 of 17
You could stick with sony and get mdr-7506's, there amazing and block noise fairly well plus the don't require an amp.

Feb 16, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #10 of 17
Still at a dead end regarding this. I need to get something ordered within the next day or two and the DT 770s on Ebay sold out. I keep hearing bad things about the M50s, reviews say the Bose AE2s break fast, bad reviews on the Koss phones and MDR-V6/MDR-7506 are apparently crap now that they are made in China. I am really at a loss still. I've seen people rave about Brainwavz HM5 which seems perfect, but it isn't being sold on Amazon anymore nor are its variants with the closest I can find being http://www.amazon.com/Over-Ear-Headphones-ComfortMax-Cushions-Earpads/dp/B0093PVTPS/ref=sr_1_12?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1361058816&sr=1-12

Does anyone have any more recommendations?

Feb 16, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:
Still at a dead end regarding this. I need to get something ordered within the next day or two and the DT 770s on Ebay sold out. I keep hearing bad things about the M50s, reviews say the Bose AE2s break fast, bad reviews on the Koss phones and MDR-V6/MDR-7506 are apparently crap now that they are made in China. I am really at a loss still. I've seen people rave about Brainwavz HM5 which seems perfect, but it isn't being sold on Amazon anymore nor are its variants with the closest I can find being http://www.amazon.com/Over-Ear-Headphones-ComfortMax-Cushions-Earpads/dp/B0093PVTPS/ref=sr_1_12?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1361058816&sr=1-12

Does anyone have any more recommendations?

They'll run you $70 shipped to the US.
http://www.jaycar.us/productView.asp?ID=AA2065&keywords=pro+monitor&form=KEYWORD

You cant do much wrong with the M-50's either(specially when they can be had for ~$100); but I'm finding more people recommending the Monoprice DJ cans instead.

Feb 16, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #12 of 17
Op, look into the Ultrasone Pro 550. 

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #13 of 17
They'll run you $70 shipped to the US.
http://www.jaycar.us/productView.asp?ID=AA2065&keywords=pro+monitor&form=KEYWORD

You cant do much wrong with the M-50's either(specially when they can be had for ~$100); but I'm finding more people recommending the Monoprice DJ cans instead.

Gah! I didn't know you could order directly from the site. I will buy these then, they seem perfect and at $70 compared to $135 it seems like the ideal choice.

Op, look into the Ultrasone Pro 550. 

I read the reviews and it doesn't really seem to be what I am looking for.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back