Need a reasonably priced headphone with deep, powerful punchy bass
Jul 30, 2012 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

UnixxinU

New Head-Fier
Before anyone links me to similar discussions, I have read them all but not found a distinct answer. I listen to electronic variants of music such as drum and bass, dark step, dub step, neurofunk, the lot.

Now, from what I have read the following headphones offer the heavy bass I am looking for without making sacrifices in the other areas which make up the overall audio quality:

M audio q40 - I have heard that this headphone, when paired with a digizoid zo2 amp and when the ear pads are removed and replaced with some beyerdynamic velour pads, offer the kind of bass I am looking for with no compromise. Is this true? I have also heard that this headphone comes with a terrible wire, what would be the best alternative wire to buy for it?

Beyerdynamic 770 80 ohm - I've read about these across the forum and they apparently don't offer as much bass, in the fullest sense of the word, as the q40s do, however they are supposedly better for a more rounded listening experience, would these cans be better with a digizoid zo2 amp?

Audio technica ath pro700mk2 - from what I've seen this is a mixed bag, it is supposedly comfortable for some owners and uncomfortable for some others, it also seems to offer heavier, more detailed bass than the m50s do but at the cost of a less flat response. Would these cans fare best with the zo2 amp?

Audio technica ath m50 - I'm aware that these are one of the most commonly recommended headphones which seem to offer a decent bass response, alas not as powerful or technical as the pro700mk2's; would this be the best option with the zo2 amp, and would it keep its more flat response with the additional bass delivered by the amp?

A few other questions:

I will almost always be using my PC to listen to music, and it is very old with a bad soundcard that isn't dedicated. Does this mean that I would need an external DAC to get the best out of the headphones I get? If so, would I somehow be able to pair the zo2 amp with a seperate DAC to use with the headphones from my PC? Or would the fiio which is both a DAC and an amp work better in this situation? I'm worried about the fiio not offering as much of a bass boost as the zo2.

Apologies for my long winded post and lack of sound knowledge in this area, I've made my best effort to fins information but I would appreciate assistance on a direct level before I decide to buy anything. Which headphone and amp/DAC would be best for what I'm looking for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back