Need a new sound card / amp / something. Please recommend
May 23, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #31 of 56
Quote:
So I would go from sound card SPDIF ---> desktop DAC (w/ amp possibly) ---> amp (if not built in) --> headphones with the forte. . .OR . . . just the xonar -> headphones with the asus
Am I understanding that right?
;_;

If you're limited to Newegg, you're limited to sound cards.  Now, either the Forte (a sound card) or the ST/STX (another sound card) will both offer you decent performance just from them alone.

They also have a good upgrade path.  Both cards should offer a stereo line out, which means you can buy an amp at any time to upgrade the sound.  If you want to take it even further, you can add a DAC to the chain.

Ex:

Starting set:
Forte or ST or STX --> Headphones

Upgrade 1:
Forte or ST or STX --> 3.5mm to RCA line out --> Amplifier --> headphones

Upgrade 2:
Forte or ST or STX --> SPDIF --> DAC --> RCA line out --> Amplifier --> headphones

May 23, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #32 of 56
I see.  Out of curiousity, why would you want to go from digital -> DAC -> headphones when the analog option is already there, a few centimeters away from the spdif port?

May 23, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #33 of 56
Quote:
I see.  Out of curiousity, why would you want to go from digital -> DAC -> headphones when the analog option is already there, a few centimeters away from the spdif port?

That's why it's the second upgrade.  You can upgrade from the DAC in the sound card, to an external DAC with some marginally better performance, usually.

May 23, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #34 of 56
Quote:
That's why it's the second upgrade.  You can upgrade from the DAC in the sound card, to an external DAC with some marginally better performance, usually.

Ohh I see.  Cool beans.  

Well will the forte / ST be able to push a pair of k701's/DT880s without an external amp?  

Actually, I'm going to be spending june to august in Tokyo, so I'm sure I can do a good bit of shopping in akihabara if I know what I should look for :S

May 23, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #35 of 56
Quote:
Ohh I see.  Cool beans.  

Well will the forte / ST be able to push a pair of k701's/DT880s without an external amp?  

Actually, I'm going to be spending june to august in Tokyo, so I'm sure I can do a good bit of shopping in akihabara if I know what I should look for :S

They should be able to push 250 or 600 ohm phones with no problem, BUT, a quick google for DT880-600 with STX should resolve any doubts.

I'd... beware of some vendors out there.  Sound cards might not be as much of an issue, but headphones...  Buyer beware for too good of prices.

May 23, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #36 of 56
Quote:
They should be able to push 250 or 600 ohm phones with no problem, BUT, a quick google for DT880-600 with STX should resolve any doubts.

I'd... beware of some vendors out there.  Sound cards might not be as much of an issue, but headphones...  Buyer beware for too good of prices.

Yea, mostly looking around for a feel of them.  Asking on another part of the forum and a few members have stated that there are a number of places in the area that have comfortable seating with a large number of pairs of phones to try on

May 24, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #37 of 56
Well, you can just uninstall the driver.  Pretty much everything gets done in the kx mixer.  Should have worked out of the box before you started playing with the controls.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

- Ed

May 25, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #38 of 56

Quote:
Well, you can just uninstall the driver.  Pretty much everything gets done in the kx mixer.  Should have worked out of the box before you started playing with the controls.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

- Ed

ya definitely, I just was overly excited hoping that something would be less of a pain than creatives drivers :X

May 26, 2010 at 5:33 AM Post #39 of 56
 Hi Erratik. After reading this whole thread and finding you are very limited in your choices because of the "Newegg factor" I offer this solution:

DAC/AMP : Audio-GD Sparrow http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/Sparrow/SparrowEN.htm for $150 from the company directly (plus shipping don't forget), USB version and Basic model. You could get this in lieu of the headphones for your "gift". They can be also purchased from the states from this company http://www.pacificvalve.us/AudiogdGallery.html for $203 if you want to bypass International shipping. A Sparrow discussion is here http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/483188/official-audio-gd-sparrow-thread .

Headpohones: Sennheiser HD-600 : From the Egg they are full priced. @ $399.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106305 but, you can get them from the Egg and that counted heavily for your situation. You can buy these from say Amazon for about $320 I believe, so do realise you will be paying full retail at the Egg.

With this setup, you should be very pleased with the sound you'll be getting and it should satisfy your needs in all areas. Unfortunately I feel you'll have to sacrifice the Beyers you wanted but your situation seems to only be satisfied by concessions.

Good luck with your purchase, and I hope you find some aural Nirvana along the way!

May 26, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #40 of 56
 I tried to respond to this thread twice with nice links and all, but it said something about "Since you are new here ... blah blah blah.." and flashed off before I could read what it even fully said.
 Anyways I'll try to be as brief as possible and not post links (perhaps that was the problem?).

I suggest going with the Audio-GD Sparrow DAC/AMP for $150 (plus shipping) when bought from the company directly. USB/Basic model. You could get this for your "gift" instead of headphones.

Then from Newegg you could get Sennheiser HD600 at full retail price $399.99 . I think you would be very happy with this combo as your first step into higher end audio (compared to built in computer sound).

I think the solution would be a good choice considering all your limitations.

Good luck on your purchases!

May 26, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #41 of 56
For that A2 until you get a new source, I would suggest you look up the KX drivers.  They provide better sound and much better functionality over the stock drivers.  They say the learning curve is steep but worth the tim investment. 

May 26, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #42 of 56
Hey guys, thanks a ton for your input!   A few developments have come up in the past 24 hours, so i feel like the thread can use an update.

Quote:
 Hi Erratik. After reading this whole thread and finding you are very limited in your choices because of the "Newegg factor" I offer this solution:

DAC/AMP : Audio-GD Sparrow http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/Sparrow/SparrowEN.htm for $150 from the company directly (plus shipping don't forget), USB version and Basic model. You could get this in lieu of the headphones for your "gift". They can be also purchased from the states from this company http://www.pacificvalve.us/AudiogdGallery.html for $203 if you want to bypass International shipping. A Sparrow discussion is here http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/483188/official-audio-gd-sparrow-thread .

Headpohones: Sennheiser HD-600 : From the Egg they are full priced. @ $399.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106305 but, you can get them from the Egg and that counted heavily for your situation. You can buy these from say Amazon for about $320 I believe, so do realise you will be paying full retail at the Egg.

With this setup, you should be very pleased with the sound you'll be getting and it should satisfy your needs in all areas. Unfortunately I feel you'll have to sacrifice the Beyers you wanted but your situation seems to only be satisfied by concessions.

Good luck with your purchase, and I hope you find some aural Nirvana along the way!

As it turns out, which I found out about in the past 24 hours, this research trip to japan is paying me $3000 in my pocket plus covering all of my necessary expenses.  I'm going to keep my budget for each particular area the same, but only shopping from newegg is no longer necessary.

I've also decided on the essence STX I believe, a friend of mine has the ST and after checking it out for a few hours on his sr-225's (and despite me not being able to stand grados.  Seriously I hate them)  as well as my HD555's, its quite the amazing card.  Plus i know for sure it can push the DT880s out of the box so if I cant get an amp right away, im not in any significant trouble.
Quote:
For that A2 until you get a new source, I would suggest you look up the KX drivers.  They provide better sound and much better functionality over the stock drivers.  They say the learning curve is steep but worth the tim investment. 

I downloadedand installed the PAX drivers which are nice, the KX drivers do havea bit of a learning curve and its just not worth it to me to spend that time learning when I'm only home a few hours a day for now, and I'm leaving the country in a month.

So now that i have a sound card chosen. I guess I should decide on the amp and headphone pairity :O

May 26, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #43 of 56

Quote:

I downloadedand installed the PAX drivers which are nice, the KX drivers do havea bit of a learning curve and its just not worth it to me to spend that time learning when I'm only home a few hours a day for now, and I'm leaving the country in a month.

So now that i have a sound card chosen. I guess I should decide on the amp and headphone pairity :O

Well it was just a suggestion to keep thing interesting until you get an upgrade.  Your right, the ST is a great card...enjoy.

May 26, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #44 of 56
To be perfectly honest, if you're no longer limited to Newegg, I'd suggest breaking away from Sound Cards, unless you need the higher quality mic-in, or you'll be using some kind of DSP.  (IE: If you wanted the Forte's hardware acceleration and CMSS3D and etc, you could get that card and feed a digital out from it to a DAC/Amp, and gain the better quality AND the digital processing.)

Usually, external DACs (such as the previously mentioned Sparrow, or it's big brother, the Audio-GD FUN) preform a lot better than sound cards...  I'd highly recommend looking into them, and once again turning your world upsidedown.

Some recommendations sub $300 that would beat the ST/STX:

Audio-GD Sparrow (DAC/Amp)
Audio-GD FUN (DAC/Amp)
Little Dot DAC-I  (With a paired, low end Little Dot amp?  BEAUTIFUL.)
Used/modded Zero DAC (DAC/Amp)
Audinst HUD-MX1 (DAC/Amp)

May 26, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #45 of 56
Yes, if you have the budget, you can go with a DAC and amp system. 

@Hybrys, not to sure about some of those recommendation for surpassing the ST/STX.
The last three...I would doubt.  Have you actually heard the STX/ST?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back