Need a new sound card / amp / something. Please recommend
May 21, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #16 of 56
Quote:
Well it seems to be consensus that the audigy 2ZS is a bad source . . . so wouldn't dropping an amp on a bad source uhh. . be counter productive I guess?

Alright, after looking over my finances and such, I think I will use my set up temporarily until I get back from Tokyo (Yay undergraduate research!)

But when I get back I'll invest in:
-Some sennheiser HD595's (i know there are other choices but I like the fact that theyre sort of. . .boring. . .makes them better for competitive counter strike)
-A new sound card
-An external unit (I assume that I'll need one of these to really bring the 595's out????)

using my newegg preferred account.  That'll bring my budget from $100 to about $600 :O

Now, I guess I should ask what you mean by "uDAC" and such?  I'm pretty noob with the terminology lol, I just know I like stuff that sounds really good >_>

Oh, it's not a term, the uDAC is a device from Nuforce that's a little $100 unit, that just plugs into USB.

You're still confusing things a LITTLE bit.  If you have an external unit, via USB, you totally bypass whatever sound card you have.  So you either get one or the other, not both.  You could, though, use the Audigy (or whatever other sound card) as a 'Digital Source', using another transmission method other than USB.

This is where it gets complicated.  If you have a digital source that offers signal processing (IE: X-Fi-chip cards), you can then feed the outgoing SPDIF into a good DAC, then to a good amp, or a DAC/Amp combo unit, and reap all the benefits of X-Fi chips (Frame rate improvements, EAX, 3D emulation... etc.)

If I was planning on doing a lot of gaming, I'd go like this.  Now, I haven't heard the Audio-GD FUN or Sparrow, but they have some glowing reviews that you can read on this site.

Auzentech Forte --> SPDIF output --> Audio-GD FUN/Sparrow --> Audio Technica A700 or AD700

You should look into those phones, they're really wonderful, and provide some awesome pinpoint 3D sound.  That setup should run you... $90-140 for the Forte, $20 for a decent SPDIF cable, $330/220 for the FUN and Sparrow respectively, and $120 for the A700.  $610/500 for the whole setup.

May 21, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #17 of 56
I believe the HD555 and the HD595 use the exact same drivers, the only thing is that the 555's have a piece of foam between the driver and the mesh at the back. Removing that foam from both ends will make your HD555s sound like the 595s minus the classier look on the more expensive ones... IMO the HD595 are not worth their price, if you already pay that kind of money on some headphones you should really look for something more, let's say, better built and not some re-branded foamless version of a cheaper headphone. Beyerdynamic has some nice 'phones in that price range... The HD555/595s don't require a dedicated amp, I had mine running on a Xonar DX and they were very loud at full volume but on the other hand a similarly priced Beyerdynamic DT series headphone might require a dedicated headphone amp.

May 21, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #18 of 56
There's really nothing wrong with the Audigy 2ZS, but there are problems with the Creative drivers.  Download the $0 kx driver and try it out. http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/.  It provides DSP and ASIO as well as 24/96 bit-perfect pass-through, not to mention much better quality and customizable sound.  I have most of my music ripped with the $0 Exact Audio to flac with a cue sheet http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/.  Optionally, you might want to try out the Isone Pro $30 crossfeed VST plugin http://www.jeroenbreebaart.com/ with $0 cplay http://cplay.sourceforge.net/ ( also works with foobar and other players that support VST plugins too).  Works a nice trick making headphones sound more like speakers.  So far you've spent at most ~$30.

At this point you can output to an external DAC to an amp, or a DAC/amp combo with either USB or 24/96 coax (if the DAC accepts it).  There are plenty of them out there, and how much you want to spend is up to you.

- Ed

May 23, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #21 of 56

Quote:
I dont know how i would open it up, there are no screws/disassembly instructions.  Theyre just some basic cheap logitech computer speakers

holy god that card is expensive.  Would I hear a quality increase going to the m-audio audiophile or HT omega striker versus my audigy 2 zs?

Well, I went from a Soundblaster Audigy 2 + HD-555's to the HT Omega Claro Halo + HD-600's and it was literally a night and day difference. If you got the money, then go for it. If not, save up! I'm pretty sure you will hear a difference going from your audigy 2 to an HT omega striker. If someone has that soundcard, I hope they can confirm that.
You can try checking out this review on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHD-_mHcsXc

May 23, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #22 of 56
Quote:

Well, I went from a Soundblaster Audigy 2 + HD-555's to the HT Omega Claro Halo + HD-600's and it was literally a night and day difference. If you got the money, then go for it. If not, save up! I'm pretty sure you will hear a difference going from your audigy 2 to an HT omega striker. If someone has that soundcard, I hope they can confirm that.
You can try checking out this review on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHD-_mHcsXc

Guess what the bigger difference here was.  You're right!  The HD-600s.

May 23, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #23 of 56

Quote:
Oh, it's not a term, the uDAC is a device from Nuforce that's a little $100 unit, that just plugs into USB.

You're still confusing things a LITTLE bit.  If you have an external unit, via USB, you totally bypass whatever sound card you have.  So you either get one or the other, not both.  You could, though, use the Audigy (or whatever other sound card) as a 'Digital Source', using another transmission method other than USB.

This is where it gets complicated.  If you have a digital source that offers signal processing (IE: X-Fi-chip cards), you can then feed the outgoing SPDIF into a good DAC, then to a good amp, or a DAC/Amp combo unit, and reap all the benefits of X-Fi chips (Frame rate improvements, EAX, 3D emulation... etc.)

If I was planning on doing a lot of gaming, I'd go like this.  Now, I haven't heard the Audio-GD FUN or Sparrow, but they have some glowing reviews that you can read on this site.

Auzentech Forte --> SPDIF output --> Audio-GD FUN/Sparrow --> Audio Technica A700 or AD700

You should look into those phones, they're really wonderful, and provide some awesome pinpoint 3D sound.  That setup should run you... $90-140 for the Forte, $20 for a decent SPDIF cable, $330/220 for the FUN and Sparrow respectively, and $120 for the A700.  $610/500 for the whole setup.

Unfortunately, the only things you mentioned which are available on newegg are the audio technicas.  And why do you say "OR" for the A700 vs AD700?  Theres a pretty large price difference between the two.  I dont mind spending the extra $100, but what will that get me?

Quote:
I believe the HD555 and the HD595 use the exact same drivers, the only thing is that the 555's have a piece of foam between the driver and the mesh at the back. Removing that foam from both ends will make your HD555s sound like the 595s minus the classier look on the more expensive ones... IMO the HD595 are not worth their price, if you already pay that kind of money on some headphones you should really look for something more, let's say, better built and not some re-branded foamless version of a cheaper headphone. Beyerdynamic has some nice 'phones in that price range... The HD555/595s don't require a dedicated amp, I had mine running on a Xonar DX and they were very loud at full volume but on the other hand a similarly priced Beyerdynamic DT series headphone might require a dedicated headphone amp.

I see, thanks.  I really wanted a pair of the DT 880s but it seems newegg doesnt carry beyerdynamic :frowning2:

Quote:
There's really nothing wrong with the Audigy 2ZS, but there are problems with the Creative drivers.  Download the $0 kx driver and try it out. http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/.  It provides DSP and ASIO as well as 24/96 bit-perfect pass-through, not to mention much better quality and customizable sound.  I have most of my music ripped with the $0 Exact Audio to flac with a cue sheet http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/.  Optionally, you might want to try out the Isone Pro $30 crossfeed VST plugin http://www.jeroenbreebaart.com/ with $0 cplay http://cplay.sourceforge.net/ ( also works with foobar and other players that support VST plugins too).  Works a nice trick making headphones sound more like speakers.  So far you've spent at most ~$30.

At this point you can output to an external DAC to an amp, or a DAC/amp combo with either USB or 24/96 coax (if the DAC accepts it).  There are plenty of them out there, and how much you want to spend is up to you.

- Ed

I will definitely check the drivers out.  As for the DAC/amp, that still opens a hole new world of questions about "what do I look for when I shop?" which as you can tell i know nothing about :frowning2:

But like I said, when I do this, I'm willing to go to around the $600 range for sound card (if necessary) + headphones + whatever other equipment **PROVIDED I can get it through newegg.  Otherwise my budget is maybe $100 per item =S**

May 23, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #24 of 56
I would suggest you budget more money on the headphones rather than soundcard, bs the headphones will last longer and have a much more impact on the quality of sounds you hear.  As a rule when building a sounds system.  Start with the speakers, then move back to the source.  So, Buy a new headphones, what ever you think is worth the money.  Since you are using your headphones for extensive gaming session, i suggest you get a really comfortable headphones (senns 650, akg 701, 601, etc....) or maybe a really good set of in-ear headphones so you can use it with ya Ipod/pad/etc....  You seems to be moving around a lot, so keep it small and lite.  Keep in mind that some good sounding headphones can be purchased at a discount because they are not the latest and greatest model for a particular brand.  Try it out with your current soundcard.  If you are satisfied with the sound, then used that until u want a change.  Then buy an amp.  keep in mind of what you are looking for in an amp (size, portability..sounds quality...build quality) , then  onto the DAC/soundcard.  You never know, You might change computer (laptop) in a year or so, then that soundcard is pretty useless.  That's is why i rather buy a DAC (kinda expensive), bs I can use it with anything that has USB or optical out, i.e.  (PS3, dvd player, plasma TV...etc) 

May 23, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #25 of 56

Well, you can undoubtedly do quite nicely for around $300 for a DAC/amp combo, and have $300 left for headphones.  From what you've said so far, I'm just not sure you need a sound card upgrade, and the external DAC/amp combo is likely to give you a better upgrade path in the future with good quality sound now.

The equation is different if you're interested in gaming, home theater with surround sound and so on, but that wasn't what I thought I read.

- Ed

Quote:

Originally Posted by erratik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I will definitely check the drivers out.  As for the DAC/amp, that still opens a hole new world of questions about "what do I look for when I shop?" which as you can tell i know nothing about :frowning2:

But like I said, when I do this, I'm willing to go to around the $600 range for sound card (if necessary) + headphones + whatever other equipment **PROVIDED I can get it through newegg.  Otherwise my budget is maybe $100 per item =S**

May 23, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #26 of 56

Quote:
I would suggest you budget more money on the headphones rather than soundcard, bs the headphones will last longer and have a much more impact on the quality of sounds you hear.  As a rule when building a sounds system.  Start with the speakers, then move back to the source.  So, Buy a new headphones, what ever you think is worth the money.  Since you are using your headphones for extensive gaming session, i suggest you get a really comfortable headphones (senns 650, akg 701, 601, etc....) or maybe a really good set of in-ear headphones so you can use it with ya Ipod/pad/etc....  You seems to be moving around a lot, so keep it small and lite.  Keep in mind that some good sounding headphones can be purchased at a discount because they are not the latest and greatest model for a particular brand.  Try it out with your current soundcard.  If you are satisfied with the sound, then used that until u want a change.  Then buy an amp.  keep in mind of what you are looking for in an amp (size, portability..sounds quality...build quality) , then  onto the DAC/soundcard.  You never know, You might change computer (laptop) in a year or so, then that soundcard is pretty useless.  That's is why i rather buy a DAC (kinda expensive), bs I can use it with anything that has USB or optical out, i.e.  (PS3, dvd player, plasma TV...etc) 

Well talking it over with my mom, I think I can pull a pair of headphones for my birthday in july around the ~$250 - $280 range.  

Like I've said, i dont really know what to look for spec wise, I just know that I like things that sound better.  So that makes shopping a bit more difficult.  But the birthday will put the beyerdynamics dt 880's as well as the akg 701's that you mentioned within my reach. . .but I have no clue how to make a final decision, and living in nowhere, south louisiana, there isnt anywheer I can just go put em on and try em out so I basically have to base it all off of reviews (which are like 80% opinion)

I have a pair of ultimate ear super.fi 5 pro's and triple.fi 10's for my ipod but not a fan of playing 1.6 with them.  I feel like around the ears helps me FEEL the footsteps better.

Portability of the amp doesnt matter to me, and I actually might be able to get a hold of what I think is a pretty good onkyo receiver (model tx-sr703).  And i'm good about only upgrading necessary hardware in my computer.  my audigy 2 has come from my socket 939 to socket am2 to lga 1366 systems, along witha few temp builds in between :D so no worries about a sound card ever being useless

Quote:

Well, you can undoubtedly do quite nicely for around $300 for a DAC/amp combo, and have $300 left for headphones.  From what you've said so far, I'm just not sure you need a sound card upgrade, and the external DAC/amp combo is likely to give you a better upgrade path in the future with good quality sound now.

The equation is different if you're interested in gaming, home theater with surround sound and so on, but that wasn't what I thought I read.

- Ed

Hey thanks.

Well I definitely PLAY games much more than listen, but only during the league season does that hold water.  and its only for counter-strike 1.6 , no other games, and I doubt swapping to a more music oriented build will have any negative effects on 1.6.  I dont care about speakers or surround sound or anything like that though.  Much prefer something on my ears to something sitting on my desk.

Well lets say I can pull the headphones from family for my birthday. That would put $600 towards whatever gear I need outside of that.  So how do i start making decisions?

I should mention, i HAVE to spend at least $500.

oh, and I installed those drivers, and I must say that I am having MORE ISSUES than I had hopes. It seems that I am completely unable to change my sampling rate from 16/48 in the windows sound control panel, and cant find anywhere to do it in the driver control panel

All the drop down boxes on the main window of the driver control are blank so they dont really offer any insight as to what they do

Can no longer use the windows volume mixer to control volume for specific applications it seems

any time i try to do a speaker test it just says FAILED TO CREATE SOUND

but i get sound from youtube/foobar/etc

*SIGH* why do I fool with these things

May 23, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #27 of 56
Quote:
Unfortunately, the only things you mentioned which are available on newegg are the audio technicas.  And why do you say "OR" for the A700 vs AD700?  Theres a pretty large price difference between the two.  I dont mind spending the extra $100, but what will that get me?

Why does it matter so much to be via Newegg?  What about Amazon.com?  (Look into the A700 vs AD700, one is a closed can, one is open, with a few differences between them.  They should be around the same price.)

May 23, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #28 of 56

Quote:
Why does it matter so much to be via Newegg?  What about Amazon.com?  (Look into the A700 vs AD700, one is a closed can, one is open, with a few differences between them.  They should be around the same price.)

Poor college student.  But I have a preferred account with newegg.  So if I spend over $500 i can get 6 months interest free.  And the a700 was ~180 vs ~90 for the AD700 from what i saw :S

May 23, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #29 of 56
Quote:
Poor college student.  But I have a preferred account with newegg.  So if I spend over $500 i can get 6 months interest free.  And the a700 was ~180 vs ~90 for the AD700 from what i saw :S

The price on the AD700 is actually pretty good.  They're both about $110 at Amazon.

An alternative to the Forte is the ST or STX from ASUS, those are available from Newegg.  That would actually do fine on it's own, and offer some good performance gaming, and a solid upgrade path for later.

May 23, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #30 of 56

Quote:
The price on the AD700 is actually pretty good.  They're both about $110 at Amazon.

An alternative to the Forte is the ST or STX from ASUS, those are available from Newegg.  That would actually do fine on it's own, and offer some good performance gaming, and a solid upgrade path for later.

So I would go from sound card SPDIF ---> desktop DAC (w/ amp possibly) ---> amp (if not built in) --> headphones with the forte. . .OR . . . just the xonar -> headphones with the asus
Am I understanding that right?
;_;

EDIT:  I am particularly drawn to the HT Omega Claro Halo for an unknown reason.  Comments on the particular card?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back