Need a new sound card / amp / something. Please recommend
May 18, 2010 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

erratik

100+ Head-Fier
K sup guys. I have an issue.  And the issue is, the headphone jack on my speakers went out.  They arent the best quality speakers but if im gonna listen to musics it'll prolly be on my portable player or somethin, but I do enjoy listening through my headphones at my PC while I game.

Right so. headphone jack on my speakers went out, and my pc case  is HUGE and really hard to move around/get behind/etc.  So swapping from phones to speakers is quite a major issue.  

So I would like to get a new PCI sound card, or USB sound card, or USB amplifier or something so taht I can keep my speakers plugged in, and then just plug my HD555's into my front panel connections on my case or whatever.

Apparantly there arent a whole lot of sound cards that have easily plug-inable front panel connections, I know none of the creatives do that I've looked at.

I did find this one though, but I'm not sure of its quality:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271001

also this one is available at the local best buy:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Creative+-+Sound+Blaster+X-Fi+Surround+5.1+External+USB+Sound+Card/8953705.p?id=1216423921440&skuId=8953705&st=sound%20card&cp=1&lp=1

but like i said, im not sure of quality or what to look for really.  also, if i go with USB will it interfere with my current PCI sound card?

I listen to all types of music, and lots of movies @ my pc if that matteres. . .but the majority of what i need it for is counter-strike 1.6 :p

My budget is $100 max, shipped.  Any recommendations would be SUPER appreciated
thanks

May 19, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #2 of 56
I'm confused... The jack on your speakers broke?  Or the onboard jack for your speakers broke?

If it's the first one, you can usually get the cable repaired, if it's the other one... Well.

A refurbished or used Auzentech Forte is my call here. 

I do have to note, front panel connectors are the worst thing you can do for your sound.  A little  extension cord would do you MUCH better, and connecting to the card in the back would do you even better from there.

May 19, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #3 of 56
If you want a not expensive internal soundcard I would check this one: Audiotrak Prodigy HD2. It's quite nice for the price. I got mine from eBay two years ago for 70€ or so (I can see they are now from 55€ shipped to Europe). It has three OpAmp mounted on sockets so you can change them to tweak the sound if you want.

It also allows you to move a DIP to enable or disable the internal amp, so you can use just the DAC circuit if you use an external amp.

EDIT: I see here at head-fi we have nice Prodigy HD2 OpAmp rolling thread, this soundcard is still quite popular I guess. Sorry I don't check computer audio subforum frequently :)

May 19, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #4 of 56
Quote:
I'm confused... The jack on your speakers broke?  Or the onboard jack for your speakers broke?

If it's the first one, you can usually get the cable repaired, if it's the other one... Well.

A refurbished or used Auzentech Forte is my call here. 

I do have to note, front panel connectors are the worst thing you can do for your sound.  A little  extension cord would do you MUCH better, and connecting to the card in the back would do you even better from there.

Yes, the headphone jack on the like volume control for my actual speakers broke. the sound card is just fine. 

I have no idea where i would get it repaired, but after plugging my headphones directly into my sound card, i feel like there is a definite quality increase anyway. And I had never considered an extension, thanks.  Maybe I will look into that as a temporary fix because my sound card is pretty old anyway so i think im due for a new one.

Might I ask why front panel jacks would be a bad idea?  How does that differ from a simple extension wire?
Quote:
If you want a not expensive internal soundcard I would check this one: Audiotrak Prodigy HD2. It's quite nice for the price. I got mine from eBay two years ago for 70€ or so (I can see they are now from 55€ shipped to Europe). It has three OpAmp mounted on sockets so you can change them to tweak the sound if you want.

It also allows you to move a DIP to enable or disable the internal amp, so you can use just the DAC circuit if you use an external amp.

EDIT: I see here at head-fi we have nice Prodigy HD2 OpAmp rolling thread, this soundcard is still quite popular I guess. Sorry I don't check computer audio subforum frequently :)

Thanks, I'll look into it.  A quick search of amazon and newegg left me with no results, and i've had rather bad experiences with ebay =/

But to be honest guys, I'm really not sure if my sound card is even that good or bad.  It's the soundblaster audigy 2 ZS, but i got it so long ago just to not have to use onboard sound, and didnt have any idea what i was looking for ina sound card.

edit:  read some good things about m-audio cards, and this one is at the TIP TOP of my budget

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829121120&cm_re=m-audio-_-29-121-120-_-Product

any thoughts?

DOUBLE EDIT:  i just checked my motherboard specs and it turns out I also have a PCI-e 4x slot.  Dunno if this opens any possibilities

Also, I dont have any problem buying used from someone on the forum or w/e

May 19, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #5 of 56
Quote:
 Yes, the headphone jack on the like volume control for my actual speakers broke. the sound card is just fine. 

I have no idea where i would get it repaired, but after plugging my headphones directly into my sound card, i feel like there is a definite quality increase anyway. And I had never considered an extension, thanks.  Maybe I will look into that as a temporary fix because my sound card is pretty old anyway so i think im due for a new one.

Might I ask why front panel jacks would be a bad idea?  How does that differ from a simple extension wire?

If it's the jack itself that's broken, you can just call around to the smaller electronic stores, asking for someone that can solder a new end on the cable.  If it's a break in the cable, it might still be done, but it'll be much more difficult.

The front panel audio jack is connected my a little wire that runs through your case with no shielding, directly through the major electronic components in your computer, where as the common extension wire is shielded normally, and outside the plastic/metal casing.

May 19, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #6 of 56
should it be a particularly expensive extension wire?  like MONSTER cables or somethin?

i know that stuff doesnt matter for digital signals. . .

May 19, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #7 of 56
Quote:
should it be a particularly expensive extension wire?  like MONSTER cables or somethin?

i know that stuff doesnt matter for digital signals. . .

Nah, just grab a $5 whatever cable.  As long as it's 1-3 ft, you should be good.

May 20, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #9 of 56
Dude, Open that crap up and fix it already.  It's just a headphone jack, prob a bad connection.  Only three wires (ground, L, and Right)  while u are at it, buy a really nice headphone jack for 10 dollars and replace the wires with some nice one.  What kind of speakers?  computer speakers amp?

May 20, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #10 of 56
I have the HT Omega Claro Halo soundcard and I'm really pleased with it. It's a bit expensive but will tremendously upgrade the sound quality. It also has swappable op-amps where you can further upgrade the sound quality.

May 20, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #11 of 56

Quote:
Dude, Open that crap up and fix it already.  It's just a headphone jack, prob a bad connection.  Only three wires (ground, L, and Right)  while u are at it, buy a really nice headphone jack for 10 dollars and replace the wires with some nice one.  What kind of speakers?  computer speakers amp?

I dont know how i would open it up, there are no screws/disassembly instructions.  Theyre just some basic cheap logitech computer speakers

Quote:
I have the HT Omega Claro Halo soundcard and I'm really pleased with it. It's a bit expensive but will tremendously upgrade the sound quality. It also has swappable op-amps where you can further upgrade the sound quality.

holy god that card is expensive.  Would I hear a quality increase going to the m-audio audiophile or HT omega striker versus my audigy 2 zs?

May 20, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #12 of 56
Logitech, ahh, Then it's not worth fixing it.  Just buy a headhone jack, and make you own extension cable.  If your soundcard can drive your headphones to acceptable level, then just stick with that.  if not, then i would look at a soundcard from echo corporation.  I think they have a pretty dam good headhones amp on their soundcard.  Pretty good driver too.  get the cheapest one you can find

May 20, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #13 of 56
Quote:
Logitech, ahh, Then it's not worth fixing it.  Just buy a headhone jack, and make you own extension cable.  If your soundcard can drive your headphones to acceptable level, then just stick with that.  if not, then i would look at a soundcard from echo corporation.  I think they have a pretty dam good headhones amp on their soundcard.  Pretty good driver too.  get the cheapest one you can find

See this is where i get confused.  Everyone alwasy talks about the amps different cards have.  this amp blah blah that amp blah blah.  The volume of my headphones is perfectly fine, in fact my system volume is turned WAY down.  I would replace the sound card for better sounding music, but powering the headphones (i.e. volume) isnt an issue

May 21, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #14 of 56
Quote:
See this is where i get confused.  Everyone alwasy talks about the amps different cards have.  this amp blah blah that amp blah blah.  The volume of my headphones is perfectly fine, in fact my system volume is turned WAY down.  I would replace the sound card for better sounding music, but powering the headphones (i.e. volume) isnt an issue

Amplifiers or amplification circuits don't just 'raise volumes'.  They are what gives you the sound, and they flavor it in certain ways.  Infact, every sound card / onboard sound system has an amplifier on it, they're usually just low quality amplification circuits instead of a whole little area dedicated to amplification (IE: Amp sections on said high end sound cards.).

Personally, I still suggest you externalize, since you pay for so much more in a sound card vs an external unit, since you pay for surround, EMI shielding, various DD codecs, etc.  Things you probably don't need.  A little Turtle Beach unit, or a uDAC is what I'd suggest.

May 21, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #15 of 56
Quote:
Amplifiers or amplification circuits don't just 'raise volumes'.  They are what gives you the sound, and they flavor it in certain ways.  Infact, every sound card / onboard sound system has an amplifier on it, they're usually just low quality amplification circuits instead of a whole little area dedicated to amplification (IE: Amp sections on said high end sound cards.).

Personally, I still suggest you externalize, since you pay for so much more in a sound card vs an external unit, since you pay for surround, EMI shielding, various DD codecs, etc.  Things you probably don't need.  A little Turtle Beach unit, or a uDAC is what I'd suggest.

Well it seems to be consensus that the audigy 2ZS is a bad source . . . so wouldn't dropping an amp on a bad source uhh. . be counter productive I guess?

Alright, after looking over my finances and such, I think I will use my set up temporarily until I get back from Tokyo (Yay undergraduate research!)

But when I get back I'll invest in:
-Some sennheiser HD595's (i know there are other choices but I like the fact that theyre sort of. . .boring. . .makes them better for competitive counter strike)
-A new sound card
-An external unit (I assume that I'll need one of these to really bring the 595's out????)

using my newegg preferred account.  That'll bring my budget from $100 to about $600 :O

Now, I guess I should ask what you mean by "uDAC" and such?  I'm pretty noob with the terminology lol, I just know I like stuff that sounds really good >_>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back