Need a new set of cans, anyone got some advice?
Feb 27, 2011 at 9:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Ford[S]

New Head-Fier
Ok so I've had my Sennheiser 595's for a few years now, and I'm looking at going up a level. I'm after something with excellent bass reproduction (these lack bass :frowning2:), and something that gives the most authentic, true sound possible for my price tag. :) I invested in a Cambridge Audio Azur 340A SE amp a few months after I got the 595's, and now I feel as though they are severely bottlenecking the amp and I'm not putting it through it's paces. :p

I'm no audiophile, and I've been out of the headphone scene for quite some time now, so that's why I'm posting here to get some advice from the knowledgeable. I'm in such desperate need of help that I almost fell for the Beats By Dre marketing ploy, and almost wasted £349 on a pair of "Pro's".

My price tag would be around £180 (approx. $289), I don't know what that could get me these days...and I'm from the UK, so they need to be available over here. :wink:

P.S. Like I said, I'm looking for something that can handle a good amount of bass from my amp, the 595's crackle at the slightest turn of the bass knob on my amp. :frowning2:

Thanks very much!!

EDIT: I've looked at a few more options, so far for my price I can get the following:

Sony MDR -NC500D (Hmmm?)
Sennheiser HD600
Audio Technica ATH-M50 (Maybe, I can't see it being much of an improvement though...?)

Anything else?

Feb 27, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #3 of 15
What music do you listen too? Also you mention bass but is that all you what, big, fat, sloppy bass for DnB and hip hop? 
basshead.gif

Feb 28, 2011 at 7:49 AM Post #6 of 15
What music do you listen too? Also you mention bass but is that all you what, big, fat, sloppy bass for DnB and hip hop? 
basshead.gif

I listen to every genre. If I were to pick one I listened to most, it would probably be hip-hop, or rock...lol

I'm just after something that can handle bass better, these crackle when the volume is cranked up a little bit. Plus, I'm a sucker for bass. :p But I don't want something that's just going to have muddy bass.

Feb 28, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #8 of 15
I've read some reviews on those and I wasn't impressed. Considering I can't test these out personally I need to go off other peoples experience. I can raise my budget to £200 if that helps. :D

How are the Denon AH-D2000? Or AKG K 272 HD? I'm able to get both of these below £200.

Feb 28, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #10 of 15
So far I'm considering:

• Denon AH-D2000
  • Ultrasone HFI-780
  • Beyerdynamic DT-880/990 600ohm

• Ultrasone Pro 750 - I can get these for about £200 (not including duty tax, etc) but I would have to have them shipped from America which is a bit of a pain. Would it be worth it?

The main thing is, will any these be a big improvement over the 595's for sound quality and bass?

Feb 28, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #11 of 15
I haven't heard the 595s however they are considered the cheaper Senn range. The 'audiophile' HD600/580 which I have heard is detailed and balanced isn't engaging with bass.

Denon D2000 or HFI-780 might be what you're looking for... D2000s are comfortable, have big over the top bass and sound decent all-around however they do require an extensive mod to sound close to their best. FWIW I replaced my D2000s with a JVC HA RX700 for a better balanced sound (something the mod is supposed to correct). I love the 780s for electronica, they hit hard and have precise bass however they can be a bit metallic/digital sounding which is okay for some genres, they're also not very comfortable for long periods. The DT880 would be the most balanced of the bunch, they have bass and it goes deep, however I have a feeling it wouldn't be too your liking.

Feb 28, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #12 of 15
I haven't heard the 595s however they are considered the cheaper Senn range. The 'audiophile' HD600/580 which I have heard is detailed and balanced isn't engaging with bass.

Denon D2000 or HFI-780 might be what you're looking for... D2000s are comfortable, have big over the top bass and sound decent all-around however they do require an extensive mod to sound close to their best. FWIW I replaced my D2000s with a JVC HA RX700 for a better balanced sound (something the mod is supposed to correct). I love the 780s for electronica, they hit hard and have precise bass however they can be a bit metallic/digital sounding which is okay for some genres, they're also not very comfortable for long periods. The DT880 would be the most balanced of the bunch, they have bass and it goes deep, however I have a feeling it wouldn't be too your liking.

You ever heard the Ultrasone Pro 750? Are they worth the extra over the HIFI 780's?

Feb 28, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #15 of 15
I think I've decided on the Denon AH-D2000's over the Ultrasone HFI-780's. Both have got great reviews and both seem to be very good in the bass department, but in all the Ultrasone topics there was always complaints about their comfort, and the sound-stage not being as broad as the Denon's. I'm not sure whether or not that is the case, but I have to go off what other people say because I can't test them out for myself.

I just wish the Denon's looked different, I prefer the look of the Ultrasone's. :)

Anybody got any last recommendations before I take the plunge? I would really really appreciate the input, even if it's another set of headphones, or whether you've had experience with the two aforementioned. Also, would the Denon's be worth the extra £80 or so over the Ultrasone's? It's quite a big price difference for me, so if it's unnecessary I would rather not spend the money.

P.S. Thanks to this site my budgets gone from £150 to £230. :xf_eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back