Need a New Gaming Headset, Suggestions Around $50?
Sep 7, 2010 at 10:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Zen00

New Head-Fier
Hey all, my old headset finally had the cable pull out of one ear, while it's still usable, if you're willing to go about soldering the cable back on, I don't have a solderer, and don't feel like messing with it. Anyone have some suggestions for a good gaming headset around $50, or a more expensive one I could find around that price on a good sale day?

Sep 8, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #5 of 14
Fun to wear and sounds good. I don't care about having the most accurate in the world. I just need one that will play back music and videos well, and double for gaming. I kinda use it for everything.

Sep 9, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #8 of 14
Here's something even better, you know how they say that if you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day and if you teach him to fish for life?

Can you guys tell me what to look for in my headphones, sensitivity, impedance, hrtz range, etc?

Sep 9, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #9 of 14
You'll more likely be better off letting us do the fishing.
L3000.gif

Quote:
Can you guys tell me what to look for in my headphones, sensitivity, impedance, hrtz range, etc?

Sep 9, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
Here's something even better, you know how they say that if you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day and if you teach him to fish for life?

pretty simple really, if you are a bass head look for low frequency range, the closer to 1 the more bass you likely will have that can respond to much lower levels.  Obviously the higher the range 20+ and up would be how good it responds to highs.  Some earbuds have amazing sound quality at only 20-22hz range, meaning they might lack some bass response in the very low lows, but they still have some very good bass power.

Ohmage rating depends on what kind of an amp you have to be used with the set you are looking at.  If its under 40mw, odds are good you can run it just fine off something powerful like the sansa fuze mp3 player but still would have a good improvement with a good portable amp like a cmoy.  If its really high 80-100+ then you need a good dedicated amp to power the headphones well or else it would sound very lacking and low in volume.  Anything between 12-20ohms is perfect for earbuds direct out of most mp3 players.  

look for full size if you want a larger sound usually ( depends on some ear buds out there )
detachable cables are awesome and if you plan on using an amp that is a few feet away then a stock 10 ft cable is for you, otherwise look for a detaching cable or perhaps pay someone to solder a new shorter cord on?

open back headphones will leak sound and usually provide a larger, more spacious and natural sound

closed backs will not^  in most cases, as there of course are some great closed backs with huge and natural sound

look for monitors if you want accuracy and a more neutral experience that doesnt exaggerate the music coming at you

look to ear buds for the best isolation 

I hope you have enjoyed flying Air SWBF2CHEATER.  Please fly with us again, soon and please watch your step when exiting the plane.

Sep 9, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #12 of 14
Thanks for the tips, swbf2cheater, just to give a standard that I find on most headsets.

[size=xx-small]Headphones [/size]
[size=xx-small]Driver Units: [/size] [size=xx-small]40mm Neodymium Magnet[/size]
[size=xx-small]Frequency Response: [/size] [size=xx-small]20Hz ~ 20kHz[/size]
[size=xx-small]Impedance: [/size] [size=xx-small]32 ohms[/size]
[size=xx-small]Sensitivity (1kHz): [/size] [size=xx-small]105dB/mW[/size]
[size=xx-small]Microphone [/size]
[size=xx-small]Microphone Type: [/size] [size=xx-small]Noise-Cancelling Condenser[/size]
[size=xx-small]Frequency Response: [/size] [size=xx-small]80Hz ~ 16kHz[/size]
[size=xx-small]Impedance: [/size] [size=xx-small]<2.2kohms[/size]

As you can see, they list some things that you didn't mention. What about driver units, and sensitivity? Also, what's that gobbeldy-gook under the microphone section mean?

Sep 9, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #13 of 14

Quote:
Thanks for the tips, swbf2cheater, just to give a standard that I find on most headsets.

[size=xx-small]Headphones [/size]
[size=xx-small]Driver Units: [/size] [size=xx-small]40mm Neodymium Magnet[/size]
[size=xx-small]Frequency Response: [/size] [size=xx-small]20Hz ~ 20kHz[/size]
[size=xx-small]Impedance: [/size] [size=xx-small]32 ohms[/size]
[size=xx-small]Sensitivity (1kHz): [/size] [size=xx-small]105dB/mW[/size]
[size=xx-small]Microphone [/size]
[size=xx-small]Microphone Type: [/size] [size=xx-small]Noise-Cancelling Condenser[/size]
[size=xx-small]Frequency Response: [/size] [size=xx-small]80Hz ~ 16kHz[/size]
[size=xx-small]Impedance: [/size] [size=xx-small]<2.2kohms[/size]

As you can see, they list some things that you didn't mention. What about driver units, and sensitivity? Also, what's that gobbeldy-gook under the microphone section mean?

40mm are pretty standard in full size headphones.  It's not really something to shop by in my opinion.  But what does it really mean you ask?  Simply the size of the innards of the audio gear inside of the earcup.  If you look at something like the JVC the guy mentioned above, or the AD-700, they use more like 50mm drivers and are huge, engulfing your head and usually it means MASSIVE SOUND STAGE, but not always as seen in the Sony XB700 and the skullcany Hesh, which dont really have large stage size, just a lot of kick or bass power.  Bigger drivers = more power usually

microphone type, noise cancelling condenser means just what it sounds like, its got ( or at least tried to ) drown out as much noise around you as possible when you are using them.  Isolation and such.   Isolation is usually not found by shopping by that label though, its usually all in the earpads themselves, or the eartips in buds and the amount of clamp on your head when you use them.  It really means nothing lol

i said what freq. response is, and impedance means how easy or hard it is to use, how much power you need to get them working well, that = the ohm thing i spoke of

Sep 10, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #14 of 14
Thanks for the info, I'll probably pick up some of those Creative Fatality MKII headsets (not the ones convers posted, as that offer has expired :p), probably from Costco, I can get them for $55 shipped. Those specs I posted were from the headset, do you think they're worth $55? I mostly want them for the style (no offense to the JVC guys, that "topless" model just looks weird to me), though if I really wanted style I'd get some of their WoW headsets, except I hate WoW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back