Need a K1000 expert to help me refurbish headphones
Dec 9, 2010 at 1:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
The person I usually use to refurbish my headphones is very busy at this time so I am looking for someone with a trusted reputation with K1000s to put new temple pads securely on the headphone and possibly a new headband.  In addition, the pair I want to refurbish seems to have no spring where the temple pads contract and expand for proper contouring.

If you are qualified for this repair or know someone who is, please PM me or drop a post here. 

-Thanks!

-Dave

Dec 9, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #2 of 7
Dave, I don't know anyone who can do it. However, I don't believe there's a spring for the temple pads. Mine slide in and out with gentle clicks, and I bought them new. If that's all yours do, then your pair is fine.

As for finding someone to do the headband, find a trustworthy shoe/leather shop. They should be able to procure dozens of types of leathers - and possibly a fine upgrade - and will be able to do expert stitching. You might even be able to get them to build temple pads. Those are made from leather-covered foam and glued into place. I'd reckon anyone able to repair a fine shoe could cobble them together for you.

If you need the dimensions of the pads, let me know and I'll measure mine and post them here. Or maybe they should be dropped into the Wiki so others can find them. Oh, and if you do find a leather/shoe shop that can make pads, you might want to let them know they could develop a steady side business making new ones.

Dec 9, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
Dave, I don't know anyone who can do it. However, I don't believe there's a spring for the temple pads. Mine slide in and out with gentle clicks, and I bought them new. If that's all yours do, then your pair is fine.
I have two pairs right now.  The one I want to refubish has no clicks in this are, they just sorta slide on their own.
As for finding someone to do the headband, find a trustworthy shoe/leather shop. They should be able to procure dozens of types of leathers - and possibly a fine upgrade - and will be able to do expert stitching. You might even be able to get them to build temple pads. Those are made from leather-covered foam and glued into place. I'd reckon anyone able to repair a fine shoe could cobble them together for you.

If you need the dimensions of the pads, let me know and I'll measure mine and post them here. Or maybe they should be dropped into the Wiki so others can find them. Oh, and if you do find a leather/shoe shop that can make pads, you might want to let them know they could develop a steady side business making new ones.

The Temple pads for some reason are coming off as if the glue would need to be reheated underneath.  I would probably just get new temple pads though.

If anyone else knows a) why the contour pad feature on my pair may be sliding on very loosely and
B) how to properly replace the temple pads and or the headband (but more specifically the temple pads) safely please let me know:)

Or C) if you are somebody or know someone really expert-like in the K1000 refurbishing dpt. let me know too :)

I need this done within 2 weeks or so because I am auditioning the pair for keeps, please keep that in mind when offering your services. 

Thank you very much, 

Dave

Dec 9, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #7 of 7
Sorry, not besides a PM.  Wish I could be of more help.

If you haven't done so already, for K1K parts availability you may contact Frank@Harman using the following options:

Frank Rodriguez
Customer Service Administrator
Note New E-Mail Address:
frank.rodriguez@harman.com
Ph: 818-920-3279
Fax: 818-920-3208

Users who are viewing this thread

Back