Need a DAC Recommendation (info inside)
Mar 27, 2011 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Wirbel

100+ Head-Fier
This could go in a few different sections, just putting it here.

I currently own a pair of Grado 225i and I have some Audioengine A5s in the mail. I'm looking for the best way to get quality sound out of both of them without breaking the bank.

My original plan was to add an Essence STX to replace the Xonar DX in my PC, but I also understand this isn't the best long-term solution. Instead I'd be interested in picking up a quality DAC that could adequately power and compliment both the Grados and A5s.

I've heard the uDAC2 is a good fit for Grados, and its cheap price would probably allow me to upgrade to the RS2s or something comparable. I would say that I am more concerned about the headphone sound, but I'd really like something that will perform well for both headphones and speakers. Am I asking too much?

Essentially, a cheapish option (ie. uDAC) will allow me to improve my headphones. Something more expensive would cancel that option. I know I'm not really being very clear, but here is what I'm asking:

Quality DAC under $150 to pair with A5s and RS2s; OR
Quality DAC $200-400 to pair with A5s and 225is

I think I'd be happier with the first option, but my experience is fairly limited so I'm not sure how easy it would be to find something to work well with the Grados and A5s. 

Any ideas?

Edit: Wasn't sure where I was going with this when I began typing. Just realized it turned into a DAC thread in the headphone forum. Sorry.

Mar 27, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #2 of 7
Headphones typically give a greater increase in SQ, so you're better off spending more there, and less in other places. Go for the first option.

Edit: I enjoy my E7, but I'm sure someone might be able to recommend something else as well. E7 is about $100 USD I believe.

Mar 28, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #3 of 7
I personally quite like my uDac (first gen).  The e7 isn't a bad choice either for the grados, although the uDac has better bass response which I feel really benefits the fun sound of the grados

Mar 28, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #4 of 7
Yeh, I've heard good things about the uDac with Grado. Anyone have experience using it with speakers like the a5s? I must admit I've done a lot more research on dacs in relation to headphones rather than speakers. I'm not sure how well they mix or if it's better to pick a dac for each.

Quote:
I personally quite like my uDac (first gen).  The e7 isn't a bad choice either for the grados, although the uDac has better bass response which I feel really benefits the fun sound of the grados

Mar 28, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #5 of 7
I went for the Yulong U100 DAC/amp after reading this review and some others on head fi, http://www.headfonia.com/the-new-recommendation-the-yulong-u100-usb-dac/, and it seems to be working pretty well with my Grados (225i).

Unfortunately, I know nothing about the A5's, so I can't help there.

Mar 28, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #7 of 7
The A5's are self powered so you really don't have to worry about them.  BTW, the A5's are phenominal so you do want to get them the best singal possible.  But you do need an amp with pre-outs.  My A5's are plugged into my Fiio e9 but the only thing the e9 does for it is control the volumn.  There is a volumn control on the left speaker but I don't like using it so I just keep it max'ed out.  If you get an amp that has line-outs then you'll have to use the volumn on the speakers.  If it has neither (I have no idea what the uDAC has) then it doesn't matter since you can't connect the speakers to it anyway.  Also, my DAC is plugged into the e9 so the A5's still use my DAC even though they don't get amped by the amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back