Need a custom IEM
Mar 1, 2011 at 7:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Heatley

New Head-Fier
I am looking at some custom IEM's and decided to get a quick opinion. My price cap is $400, but feel free to suggest more expensive options. First of all, do you recommend I save up to buy some high-end custom IEM's or just go with a cheaper alternative for now? I am looking to get the following out of my IEM's:
Great fit (self explanatory) 
Good sound isolation (however it is most important that the sound doesn't leak)
Great detail
Extra punchy bass (I stress that bass is crucial to me)
Warm mids
Clear highs
I don't want clear IEM's that have to have a color option.

I'm going to be using this with my iPod touch and Fiio E7. I'm not too sure if the E7 will be sufficient in driving the higher end IEM's so please recommend a portable amp too. I mainly listen to rock, rap, hip-hop, metal, and a bit of classical. 

The ones I've been looking at so far are
UE 5 Pro (Would the UE18 Pro be worth the investment?)
Alien Ears SQ4

Mar 1, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #3 of 8
JH5 and 1964 T come to mind
You can just put them in to the search engine and I believe Joker just reviewed the 1964 T recently 
As to how much the sound improves..I've  never had customs but from what I heard it depends because many people have said that they got a 20% improvement but there was $500-600 difference in pricing so it depends on what you are willing to pay for the sq difference Hope this helps.

Mar 1, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #4 of 8
for your preferred sound signature, I can heartily recommend the 1964 ears quads, the bass is the main driving factor, hitting very hard and extending lower than any IEM I have heard while the highs remain very clear and the mids rich.

Mar 2, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #5 of 8
Thanks a bunch. For $500 i'll definitely have to try those out. On a quick side note what do you guys think about remolding universals? I was thinking because I have a pair of IE8's, but they are always falling out.

Mar 2, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
Thanks a bunch. For $500 i'll definitely have to try those out. On a quick side note what do you guys think about remolding universals? I was thinking because I have a pair of IE8's, but they are always falling out.

Since the IE8s use dynamic drivers, it would be very hard to find a manufacturer that remolds them. Remolding is usually done for balanced armature universals like the Shure SE530.

Mar 2, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #7 of 8

Quote:

IE8 are dynamic driver inside...and i dont believe you can remold dynamic drivers with the exception of super.fi 5 eb

Mar 2, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #8 of 8
Check out the manufacturers in the third post of this thread, along with their offerings and pricing.

If you want to spend $600, the Fabs are amazing for the price.  The 1964-T and Livewire Trips seem pretty good at lower price points, and there is the JH5.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back