NECO SOUNDLABS PORTABLE V.2 AMP
Jan 16, 2018 at 6:18 AM Post #406 of 424
Emailed Neco about the V6, he said it will be op amp rollable, it will not be a current output amp like the V5 unless he finds another current feedback op amp as the LM49713 is no longer manufactured. I guess that is why he stopped selling the V5

Thanks for posting this, happy with the "Rollable" and another will make three Neco amps I'll own.

Feb 15, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #407 of 424
Thanks for posting this, happy with the "Rollable" and another will make three Neco amps I'll own.
The V5 is a remarkable little amp. My system front end has become increasingly ridiculous. Have thrown about 3500 dollars into improving my USB/DAC chain and have not had even a slight inclination to upgrade amps. Well I did seriously lust after the Eddie Current Afficianado. I love 2A3 amps. If the V6 is an improvement, which I am sure it is; current feedback or not, I will need to get one. I run it into an extremely Modified Sennie 650 that has been nicknamed Frankenheiser!
Neco is a genius!

Happy Listening

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 29, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #411 of 424
Wonder if anyone knows old V4s have opamps that face opposite directions in the dip-8 sockets...vs iBasso PB2 and most other amp chip based amps I've used.
I opened one I've just bought and saw the half-sphere indents are opposite to each other for chip orientation...popping the chips
out and it also appears the indent indicators are facing one towards the front of amp..and one towards the back...

Just looking to not fry anything by incorrect orientation, before rolling in discrete chips/using it.

Jul 29, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #412 of 424
Wonder if anyone knows old V4s have opamps that face opposite directions in the dip-8 sockets...vs iBasso PB2 and most other amp chip based amps I've used.
I opened one I've just bought and saw the half-sphere indents are opposite to each other for chip orientation...popping the chips
out and it also appears the indent indicators are facing one towards the front of amp..and one towards the back...

Just looking to not fry anything by incorrect orientation, before rolling in discrete chips/using it.

not sure if this will at all..but worth a try -Its an old pic that I remember having taken a while ago :/
IMG_0527.JPG
?

Jul 29, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #413 of 424
Yes, thanks got it open like that, and as it was ....those half-circle scoops are not facing both in same direction the way the stock chips
were inserted. and then looking at the socket indents below..it's the same in the unit...indents do not match almost like they are supposed
to face in opposite directions (?) which I've never seen before with amp chips in parallel on other units...
Quite tight in there anyway...could not get OPA1611 duals in, a converted to dip-8 LME49600 would not fit...bought some DIP extenders to see if wider discretes will go in and over the stuff around the dip-8 sockets and I saw Sparkos seemed to fit anyway from old photos on google images...but not sure if they needed dip extenders or the underside legs were a bit longer..owned them before, but cannot remember if they were elevated to usual simple chips...

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #414 of 424
This is the way I found the chips orientated when diving inside on my new (used) unit....
Green oval indicates the chip notch, and arrow indicates orientation as they are...
IMG-20190729-184403.jpg

EDIT : Also trying to find out if above is a V4 or a 4.1 based on the photo...and where I can check to see if the virtual ground update has been done...thanks !

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 4:37 AM Post #415 of 424
Okaaaay, just fired up my amp and everything seemed OK.

Initial impressions Bass Boost off and Gain off...tried gain on briefly but it added too much "voltage bite" to my treble on the gear I tested with less volume dial. With gain off, way more subtle play on the v.pot without treble dominance coming in...as I found happened with iFi pre-BL amps.

Liking it a lot, and I'd place it between a Cayin C5 (OPA134) and iBasso PB2 (LME49990/high current buffers) tonally/sound quality-wise....really liking that balance of detail extraction/soundstage and natural tonal presentation...Not cold or warm as such...just right in that sweetspot...without that dry and hard presentation that SS amps can be plagued by..

It is probably just as good as the German Vorzuge VorzAMPduo I/II portable amps - without the high boutique pricing.

I'd have liked to have seen amp chip rolling ability re-introduced in the next model (with more space for discrete chips) and a balanced TRRS output on the amp (image/instrument separation).

Great idea to have the batteries easily replaceable...so rare to see that, when you live in some remote place and would have to do a company send-in and return costs for new batteries....unnecessary.

A sleeker black case would not go a-miss too.

Have Dip-8 extenders coming from China, to see if I can roll in any other chips to compare to the what I think is upgraded from stock..ADA4627.

Anyone know how to contact the designer ?

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #416 of 424
You can look up Neco Beyman on facebook messenger....that's how I used to get hold of him when I was running Neco's portable amps. I now run a custom built output stage in my highly
EVS modded OPPO sonica! So I sold my last Neco Current gain amp! It was quite an amazing unit. But my onboard class A high output current stage outperforms it...so I sold it!

Happy Listening,

jgwtriode

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2019 at 4:09 AM Post #417 of 424
I know the thread is a bit old as everyone rolls on to the next shiny toy...but...anyone went on opamp rolling tests with the Neco ?
Find anything "better" than ADA4627 that is Dip-8 ready ?
Pretty great chip, which to me is like the obsolete LME49990 shifted tonally towards 'natural', from 'neutral' LME's style...

Anyone owned Vorzuge VorzAMPduo after Neco V4...much of a leap in SQ/technical aspects ?

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 3:29 AM Post #418 of 424
Besting ADA4627 isn't easy, in my experience, unless you are throwing that opamp into a circuit that it is not suited for.
But as far as the Neco portable V4, yeah, probably not going to best it. Bad@ss opamp, isn't it? Something about its soundstaging just sounds so "right" to me, and I love the more "energetic" feel that many ADI opamps tend to have, especially ADA4627, ADA4610, and ADA4075.

Aug 20, 2019 at 4:40 AM Post #419 of 424
Yes, most natural and detailed opamp I've heard so far, excluding better discrete stuff..but even some discrete is not as good as opamps. LME49990 was as detailed but neutral vs natural direction.

Sep 25, 2020 at 4:02 AM Post #420 of 424
Hi all adding or reviving this long running thread, i've had a V3 bought new from Neco when he was on ebay and it had a lot of use for a good few years, its been in a drawer for the last 4 years or so as life interupted its use plus new speakers / main amps and less portable listening ...recently got it back out and WOW it brought everything back what a little box of powerful clean but warm sound ..i've really enjoyed reading this whole thread over a couple of evenings .... so a question where is Neco now i can't seem to find any current links on the net for Neco Soundlabs as i'd luv to see / hear about what he's producing now or even if someone has a V5 for sale as reading here it was a big step up from the V3 ....i'm in the UK .....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back