NBA Playoffs!
Jun 14, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #752 of 827
Durant and Westbrook both had record-setting first finals games.  It'll be interesting to see where this goes if Miami can figure out how to slow down either one of these guys.

Wade needs to play like Wade for at least 3 quarters.  Bosh gets a mulligan for game 1 but they need a complete big 3 if they want to compete with OKC.  Stealing 1 from the Thunder and then having 3 straight at home...

Jun 14, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #753 of 827
I don't think it's going to happen with Wade, I hope I'm wrong. It's not widely publicized, but he had to have his knee drained during the Pacers series. He's too proud to use any injury as an excuse but there you have it.

Bosch is a similar same boat with his abdominal strain, and it remains a "game-time decision" if he will be able to start.

If the Heat can somehow grab a split in OKC it would be a major accomplishment, but it's highly doubtful in that building. If these guys were healthy this could have been a great series, but unfortunately that's not the case. I don't think it will go past five games without a miraculous recovery by at least one of them (again, I hope I'm wrong).

No matter how great LeBron plays, he cannot win a title by himself. It's too bad that both teams aren't at full strength, but on the bright side they could be back at it again next year.
popcorn.gif

Jun 14, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #756 of 827
Jun 14, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #757 of 827
I'm watching the 4th of Game 2 right now and it's some really intense basketball. OKC seem to like being the comeback kids this series. They're attacking the basket and winning loose balls and again, Miami look sluggish and unmotivated in comparison. I really love how these two teams match up.

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #758 of 827
Almost a miracle win, but Lebron put it away with a couple free throws and (possibly) fouling Durant.  (That one will be up for debate.)

Couple things to mention:

1) In the first couple quarters, the Thunder's size advantage was obvious, with Ibaka and especially Perkins getting numerous offensive rebounds and tips.  This vanished later in the game.  Perkins didn't get many late minutes, Ibaka focused more on the other end, and Bosh become an aggressive rebounder.  This negated what is arguably OKC's greatest advantage in the series.

2) Harden was on fire early with 17 points in 12(?) minutes of play and shrunk late (save for one or two shots.)  I don't know if he just wanted to take a back seat to the other two or if he just wasn't aggressive enough.  

3) Return to form for Wade and Bosh.  James and Durant were a push overall although Durant seemed to vanish for long stretches on the court.  When James vanishes offensively, at least he's making some big plays on the other end.

4) Some calls went Miami's way that will be debated.  I sort of agree with JVG with regards to this game that calls should be made with consistency.  If you're going to call the small stuff, call it all game.  If you're going to let them play, let them play (short of the rough stuff.)

5) I love Collison.  Hard worker on both ends, never gives up on a play, very smart with the charges he takes.  You'll see him hop in just at the right time right in front of the restricted zone and sacrifice his body.  best part of his charges is he won't push off with his legs or fall backwards in anticipation to sell the foul.  He lets the actual force send him to the ground.

6) Where is Joel Anthony?  Miami needs size and defense, both of which are factors that he anchors the team in.  I'm happy they're not playing Pittman, but Anthony needs minutes, especially when Perkins is on the floor.  They can't expect that rebounding effort from Bosh every (or any) night.  

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #759 of 827
Incredible effort by the Heat, they led wire to wire and pulled it out against the predictably ferocious Thunder comeback.

Durant played very well in the fourth for a guy with five fouls. Now it's up to the Thunder to win on the Heat's floor.

We have a series ladies and gentlemen!
popcorn.gif

Jun 15, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #761 of 827
''It's been so long since we've had them all together,'' Heat forward Shane Battier said. ''They played like the All-Stars that they are and that's the effort that we need.''

Kind of scary for the Thunder if you think about it, going into Miami for three games.

Also, it's hard to believe that Anthony gets paid more than Battier, who was on fire tonight. Seems like Spoelstra is valuing speed to switch on defense over size, makes sense as Perkins isn't much of an offensive threat.

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #762 of 827
Quote:
''It's been so long since we've had them all together,'' Heat forward Shane Battier said. ''They played like the All-Stars that they are and that's the effort that we need.''

Kind of scary for the Thunder if you think about it, going into Miami for three games.

Also, it's hard to believe that Anthony gets paid more than Battier, who was on fire tonight. Seems like Spoelstra is valuing speed to switch on defense over size, makes sense as Perkins isn't much of an offensive threat.

Perkins is the only "true" center who's getting major minutes on either team, and his offensive game is limited to rebound/put-backs. You'll notice the Heat can get away with putting Bosh (or practically any SF/PF) on him because his low post skills are so limited. I think for a large part of the last two games, both teams were playing 4 guards and a PF, which makes for some more exciting, fast-paced ball.

You have to give it up to the Heat for holding off OKC in Game 2. I thought OKC would win it back with their 4th quarter heroics, especially after Durant hit that transition 3 to bring it within 2. I think winning Game 2 drastically increases Miami's chance of winning the series overall.

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #763 of 827
That was a foul by Lebron no doubt, should have went to overtime.

I like when Harden and Collison play together, they're a great duo. I agree, Collison doesn't get enough credit that he deserves. Way underrated.

I don't like when Westbrook starts. He's always starts out wild and misses jumpers. He can be selfish at times and usually doesn't start going til about 2nd half.

It's gonna be a great series.

Jun 15, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #764 of 827
Agreed, that was a huge non-call at the end. Game should have been tied after the James "foul", but there was still time for the Heat to answer so I don't know about overtime. There is a tradition in NBA playoff games, where the officials "let them play" at the end, maybe that's what happened here. Durant said after the game he would have to watch the tape before he would call it a foul, very diplomatic/typical Durant. What a classy guy.

Westbrook's playing style has always been a bit of a conundrum but wow! What a finisher for a guy his size.

And what a series (so far) indeed!

Jun 15, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #765 of 827
Jeff Van Gundy is definitely right on one thing though:  It's fine if the refs are going to let the players play (aside from calling obvious hard fouls), and it's fine if they're going to call fouls on any illegal contact whatsoever (no matter how small), but the key is that *they remain consistent in their foul calls*.  I can't really say whether or not there was a foul at the end, but there are a lot of ways OKC could have improved on their play.  One might even conjecture that the game came down to missed free throws.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back