Narmoo's NEW S1 Dual dynamic supremus!
Jul 10, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #166 of 253
Got mine in, everything looks in order. Briefly tried it with RE400 dual flange tips and they sounded good, well worth the full retail price IMO. Dry sound, slight U shape signature but the mids are still well heard. Nothing is masked and every aspect of the spectrum is well represented. 0 sibilance issues. Mids just seems to be a step or two behind the bass and highs. Bass is controlled and comes in with a slight mid-bass boost when songs call for bass. On songs without prominent bass, the bass is where it should be. They're plugged to the E18 with Fidelify running (Spotify 320KBPS with WASAPI support) and will be burning in for the next few days. Probably give them a good go on Saturday or Sunday. I expect the sound to change after 24-48 hours, this is more like notes and quick impressions.

Jul 16, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #167 of 253
These sound good for the price, stock tips are bad in sound rendering and in touch, they feel plastic, I replaced them with some Meelec bi-flange clones.
Build quality is great minus the the strain relief on the plug is a bit short and  they offer only three pairs of poor quality silicon tips.

I think they have a U shape signature, compared to FXT90, the JVCs are better, the scene is more spacious, instruments separation and clarity are above, JVCs highs could be more refined, but S1's highs feel a little harsh, mids are a little recessed, but sound pretty good, they have some more lush in FXT90, bass is quick, but less punchy than in FXT. In their price range, the S1 are better than Brainwavz M5 for example.

Jul 16, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #168 of 253
How long of a burn-in/use? I ask because mine don't have harsh highs the least bit.
These sound good for the price, stock tips are bad in sound rendering and in touch, they feel plastic, I replaced them with some Meelec bi-flange clones.
Build quality is great minus the the strain relief on the plug is a bit short and  they offer only three pairs of poor quality silicon tips.

I think they have a U shape signature, compared to FXT90, the JVCs are better, the scene is more spacious, instruments separation and clarity are above, JVCs highs could be more refined, but S1's highs feel a little harsh, mids are a little recessed, but sound pretty good, they have some more lush in FXT90, bass is quick, but less punchy than in FXT. In their price range, the S1 are better than Brainwavz M5 for example.

Jul 16, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #169 of 253

I think the stock eartips are fine, not bad sounding. I also don't feel the high is harsh. If the mids a little recessed, yes I agree on that, but I still consider it natural sounding.
What's your player?

Jul 16, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #170 of 253
They have 24 hours of burn in and I used them for around 9 hours (not in use during burn in). With stock tips, they're warm, not "a touch on the warmth side of neutral" as Dsnuts said, and bass has good presence too, it's worse with narrower bore tips. My DAPs are rockboxed Clip+ and Fiio X3.

With bi-flange large bore tips, sound is colder but still warm, more spacious and more balanced. Cymbals don't sound right and I just listened to Kate Bush "Wuthering Heights", piano in the beginning is not crystal clear. S1 are good, but they can't compete with TDK IE800 or GR07 Classic for example, and I can't say they're better than FXT90, different yes, but not better.

Jul 18, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #171 of 253
Just gotten this S1 a day ago...short burning in.
Testing it out off the laptop via E18...
using wide-bore JVC spiral tips:
(isolation on the spirals aint great,
RichardCladerman filtering in from the living room ever so often..)

Enough bass, (i can put high gain or bass boost too...but not necessary for my taste )
Mids are not recessed recessed, reasonably forward enuf...call it v slightly recessed.
Highs..hmmm..abit of metallic impact thats giving me a little fatigue..
even on a very easylistening album as this..
male vocals are fine,
(but with a jangling band with electric guitar jamming away..ouch !)
more burning innnnn needed for sure.
Separation n clarity is good...( better than Tenore :p )

Took it out for a spin with my SamsungNote1, 
listening to some classicals on internet radio..
v simple combo,
but it is a match made in heaven,
that metallic edge is melted by the lower resolution.
Lush, bodacious, inviting...
totally no complaints...v v enjoyable. :p

Jul 19, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #172 of 253
Ordered Narmoo S1 quite a lot for my friends, now helping them to burn the Narmoos... 
biggrin.gif

I wish I have a toaster amp with more than 4 outputs 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 20, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #173 of 253
Nice set up. I use 5 to one splitter for burning in multiple phones out of my Audinst MX2. If your amp is powerful enough you could actually get 4 of these splitters and burn in 16 phones at once. Lol. The burn in factory.

Jul 20, 2014 at 5:37 AM Post #174 of 253
  Ordered Narmoo S1 quite a lot for my friends, now helping them to burn the Narmoos... 
biggrin.gif

I wish I have a toaster amp with more than 4 outputs 
bigsmile_face.gif

Nice mobile burn in station.
smile.gif

Jul 20, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #175 of 253
Nice set up. I use 5 to one splitter for burning in multiple phones out of my Audinst MX2. If your amp is powerful enough you could actually get 4 of these splitters and burn in 16 phones at once. Lol. The burn in factory.

Good idea! Tx! :)

Nice mobile burn in station. :smile:  

Thanks! The plastic container is actually rather big, enough for 3-4 full size headphones :)

It's just something that makes our life, Head-fiers, a little easier :wink:

Jul 20, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #176 of 253
Mind listing exactly what gear is what? Thanks.

Jul 20, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #177 of 253
Mind listing exactly what gear is what? Thanks.

Do you mean my toaster?

I used very old Creative player as the source. It requires 1.5 volt, so i DIY a regulator from LM317 to get stable 1.5 volt from an old Nokia adapter with output 3.7 volt. The regulator is the chip with heatsink on the left. I use wire to tap directly to the player's battery terminals.

Output from the Creative player goes to the ART 4 channels headphone amplifier.

That's all, nothing fancy :)

Jul 28, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #178 of 253
Just got mine (actually Soundsgoodtome's pair) and have to say...eh...for the price they're actually not bad at all. 

Sound is well across all frequencies. Sounds like a portable version of my Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II desktop speakers with spliced-in BIC America Venturi V1020 subwoofer. Which is to say much better than the price would suggest.

Over all definitely better than I would have thought. That's even with being fully aware of the KILLER "cheap" buds out there.

Yeah, think I've found my new "hey, can you recommend me a cheap earbud?" earbud. 

Jul 28, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #179 of 253
Just got back from a vacation. I used these on the jet. They worked great! Most of the jet engine noise was blocked out. These are now my on the go IEMs. Highly recommended.

Jul 30, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #180 of 253
I have tried to use mine but the knurling are really hurting my ears. After 5 minutes I just can't stand them in my ears. I can't care about sound when I am not comfortable wearing it. I guess they are not made for me :frowning2: ... or I will have to find a way to remove those damn knurling.
I'll just stick to the Sony MH1C.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back