Narmoo's NEW S1 Dual dynamic supremus!
May 4, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #16 of 253
Ok, in as well, haven't spent any money on music/gear in, say, an hour or 2, credit card getting itchy...

May 4, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #17 of 253
Very tempting, thanks for your wonderful impressions dsnuts.

I hope to purchase this after the ostrys.

Thank you for informing headfiers about narmoo's latest creations.

May 4, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #18 of 253
  So I got rid of my Piston 2.0s a while back but based on memory while sound is enjoyable on them I don't know if I like the Pistons over these..The mids especially are way more fleshed out on these S1s. Multi directional head stage for mids on the S1 has to be heard. Layering of sound is a good two tiers above the pistons..I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised by the ability of these S1s. It has to rank up there with the best of the best in the price range.

From memory the Mids on the Pistons was a bit too smooth sounding. Which is not a bad thing. The bass was kinda bigger than the rest of the sound too..The S1 has a better balance of sound vs the pistons and does not have a V sound signature. It is actually fairly flat to my ears. From treble extension to low sub bass.

What I mean by sound layering is. These clearly exhibit that fore ground instrument or vocals. Mid ground instrument or vocals and the very last deep layer of what is usually percussion or horns for example that is clearly discernable. Some tunes have this going on all at once.  Ya for a $45 phone to do that. I am blown away. No weird off tonality or dips in the sound I can detect..Treble can be sweet to sparkly to exciting all in the same tune. Shows real good dynamic range in all parts of the Fr.Then you add that dual dynamic layering.   

May 8, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #21 of 253
Nice review, now I'm hesitating if I should go for this one? seems like this is better than R1M, but the price is higher as well.

So is the better sound worth of the price diff?

Yes.. I would go for these..Wait for some more impressions very soon. The S1s are clearly a superior sound to my ears over the R1Ms.  Unless your a bass head that is.

May 8, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #23 of 253
I just popped mine open and tossed them in my ears. How good could they possibly be at a 40.00 price range? PRETTY FLIPPING GOOD. They made me say "wow" in under 10 seconds.

May 8, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #24 of 253
just when i am about to hit on the HAVI B3...now this.
Tell me straight DSNut..which one of the two? 
( i snapped up the fx850 thanks to u... arrghh)

=====

which genre of music would u think this is suited to? 
classicals?

May 8, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #25 of 253
Its less than $40.. 10 Ohm sensitivity means they will flow with any device you own. Sounds really good for the price.. It is a good time to be in the hobby.. I was mentioning to Danny how these would make perfect knock around pairs. They are light.. Fit well. Not much microphonics. Built well. Sounds great. What can I say..I like these a lot. I think Narmoos got a bright future if they keep on this track,

The S1s have a very versatile tuning. It is more a balanced approach in tuning  vs  a V or U shape sound so these are good for most genres of music. The dual dynamic layering does classical well actually..Rock and Metal sounds awesome. Blues, vocals, Jazz, Hip hop. Edm. All sounds nice on these.

Again these aren't going to be the miracle $40 earphones that will replace your higher end earphones but you will certainly question why you spent so much on them. 

Collecting great sounding budget fi is cheaper than collecting great sounding mid fi so hey nothing wrong with amassing some amazing sounding cheaper phones.

May 8, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #26 of 253
I'm still burning these guys in right now.  I had a pair of pfe132, 122, m8320, narmoo s1's show up yesterday, so it's hard to decide which one I want to listen to.  Right off the bat, it's not hard to notice the fact that it is a dual driver.  The mids and highs seem like a separate entity compared to the bass.  I expect the lows to hit muddy and slow, but they come in tight, plentiful(not overbearing), and fast.  I really enjoy these.

May 8, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #27 of 253
i do like the formfactor...easy to rip off my ears when my betterhalf screams for help ...

DS, u said it is a hairshy from a M200?  can u elaborate a little more, cos i heard the M200 briefly n almost put my mortgage down on it :p

May 8, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #28 of 253
Anyone know some alternative tips for these? I mean, besides the UE ones, which is a pain to get. Looking to getting a pair that I can use. Also, how is the comfort, I mean, long time listening and the like? Does any of the housing have sharp corners, or small edges/bumps that rub against the ear?

May 8, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #29 of 253
It has been a while since I had the M200s but it was a very nice sound and utilized both drivers in the large housing really well and was a nicely refined sound with bass presence and that is where the wow factor in the M200s are. However the housing and fit for me was a no go. I couldn't get the fit right any way I twisted the phones. It would slowly make it's way out of my ears and there was no possible way I was going to walk around with them in my ears as they would fall out.. And this is coming from a guy that has zero issue with every single earphone I have ever bought. So they had to go..I did like the sound a lot but the ergonomics was terrible for me. Some guys got lucky and they seem to fit just fine.  I would say the M200s are more refined and sound characteristics but the S1s balance could be better. There is less bass presence in the S1 from memory. Sound of the M200 was more lusher perhaps and smoother but again this is from memory of them.

For me the ergonomics of the S1 is a win. It is light and I highly doubt anyone is going to have fit issues as the housing is average to small compared to even single driver earphones. The S1s clearly has both drivers firing off in unison and this creates that layering of sound and stage that is done very well. While it is not as refined as the M200. There is a lot to like about the sound on the S1. It more than holds it's own..The S1 driven from the Geek Out sounds too good to be true. They actually sound great even from my X3 as well. 

For the price of purchase I would just try one. 

May 8, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #30 of 253
  Anyone know some alternative tips for these? I mean, besides the UE ones, which is a pain to get. Looking to getting a pair that I can use. Also, how is the comfort, I mean, long time listening and the like? Does any of the housing have sharp corners, or small edges/bumps that rub against the ear?

Comfort is fine. Again they are very light so no issues of weight or weird fit or anything like that.. Really any earphone tips that has a wider bore than the stock tips should do just fine. Try this and try that. No sharp corners that poke into the ear or anything like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back