Naim DAC-V1 vs...
Dec 8, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #77 of 100
With the just released firmware updates offering DSD as well as some nice audio improvements the Naim "Chord" gang are all agreeing that Naim is onto something here.

The V1 is sounding damn good (as usual).

Dec 8, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #78 of 100
  Naim DAC-V1 vs Marantz HD-DAC1

Which one is better choice - if I grade the three roles of device from the most to the least important to me - like this:
#1 - head-amp
#2 - pre-amp
#3 - DAC

Thank you!

The Naim is on another level on all accounts.

Dec 10, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #79 of 100
I loaded up the new firmware with DSD.  Nice that it's DSD capable {I have no DSD files but may try a few} but was looking for some more usability features:  Sleep Mode where the lighs go off after a certain time of non use, ability to custom rename the inputs instread of a selection list.  Pretty basic stuf but not there.  on hwell, maybe next time... or not.
Still a great DAC!

Dec 10, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #80 of 100
I loaded up the new firmware with DSD.  Nice that it's DSD capable {I have no DSD files but may try a few} but was looking for some more usability features:  Sleep Mode where the lighs go off after a certain time of non use, ability to custom rename the inputs instread of a selection list.  Pretty basic stuf but not there.  on hwell, maybe next time... or not.
Still a great DAC!

From what's been said in this thread the new firmware elevates the performance; I'll load up the new firmware over the weekend and check this out.

Dec 10, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #81 of 100
From what's been said in this thread the new firmware elevates the performance; I'll load up the new firmware over the weekend and check this out.

The new firmware does in fact contribute to the V1 possessing a meatier, organic sound, better seperation.

Instruments feel more fleshed out.

Dec 10, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #82 of 100
The DAC I want NAIM to build would be...

-Size/Footprint of the V1
-Remove the pre-amp/volume control of the V1
-Keep the DIN output of the V1
-Add the external PS input of the nDAC.
-Sprinkle in a few technical upgrades for 2015/2016
-Still cost no more than the V1

(Essentially a cheaper nDAC with the footprint of the V1 and USB input.) 

Jan 18, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #84 of 100
How is the headphone output on this? I can't seem to find the actual power specs.

Jan 18, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #85 of 100
  How is the headphone output on this? I can't seem to find the actual power specs.

It will drive the HD-800 competently enough,  good with the TH-900 also.

The V1 really shines as a standalone DAC though IMO,  especially with the upgraded firmware just released

Jan 18, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #86 of 100
 It will drive the HD-800 competently enough,  good with the TH-900 also.

The V1 really shines as a standalone DAC though IMO,  especially with the upgraded firmware just released

Thanks dude. I'm looking for something that specifically meets Audeze's power specs for current on the LCD3s, and I'm sure the DAC is more than competent, and it can drive many headphones well, I just want to know that that 4w box is ticked (many times more power than I will ever need at listenable volumes, but still, want to hit that spec)

Jan 18, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #87 of 100
According to Naim when a headphone is plugged in to the V1 power output is increased 5x.

Not a hell of alot tech info on breaking down the amplifier specs available on the internets.

FWIW I stumbled upon this little blurb  http://hifilounge.tumblr.com/post/45993583306/naim-dac-v1-now-on-demo-at-hifi-lounge  he claims it will drive the LCD 3 easily.

Take it with a grain of salt though I suppose.

Jan 18, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #88 of 100
Thanks man. I'll try to find somewhere here in Montreal to go demo. Though with the Canadian peso doing so poorly, it might be out of reach.

Jan 19, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #89 of 100
Thanks man. I'll try to find somewhere here in Montreal to go demo. Though with the Canadian peso doing so poorly, it might be out of reach.

Don't speak so soon 
biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif

Oct 18, 2018 at 3:26 AM Post #90 of 100
The Fostex and the Naim has sounded at my home together for more than a week in my setup because i'm writing their review for my site (www.stereo-head.it).
The Fostex it sound better as dac with external amp (CMA800R, Schiit Asgard and Human Audio Sileo) and also as headphone output.
The Naim's headphone output perform well only with high impedance headphone (HD800 and HD650) but it's not very good with low impedance headphone (Denon Ah D2000) or orto (HE500).
The Naim it's very musical, but it lacks in detail and dinamyque and the bass it's not a good detail compared with the price. Also the high it isn't something special and the soundstage it's a little compressed.
The most cool of it it's the audiphileo usb tecnlogy and the trade on it, not a gret deal in my opinion.
If your want to use it in a speaker system it perform very well with the NAP100 power amplifier (http://www.naimaudio.com/hifi-products/pdt-type/nap-100) connected with DIN connection

Ps Naim it's famous most for their electronics (especially CDP and power amp).

Just looking in the Naim Forums and the claims about Naim V1 not working as well with low impedance headphones, and this web page states that it works well across a range of headphones. You mileage may vary and a listen with your cans might be worthwhile before discounting.

https://forums.naimaudio.com/topic/dac-v1-with-sennheiser-hd800?reply=41269440598637552

Users who are viewing this thread

Back