NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Jun 20, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #3,211 of 3,345
Let us know when someone in Asia starts shipping as good/better than stock earpads for this discontinued headphone reliably at an affordable retail price + shipping + customs duty/VAT.

I'll take mine in grey or black premium leather. Preference reserved for color corrected product photo determinining if pleasing shade was acquired. ; )

Attempting to use scientific examination to preserve Roomfeel once stock of the OEM earpads is extinguished might pay dividends. I do understand the outsized importance of Asian trade connections in your geographic location. Nearly 100% tax on imports too.

Jun 20, 2019 at 1:10 AM Post #3,212 of 3,345
Thanks for confirming this. With the new headband I'm finding the ear pads exert more pressure on the top of the ear. The bottom does not have enough making it even more difficult to get a seal. Are you experiencing this??

Cheers.

Yeah now that I look at more pictures I definitely have the latest rounded headband. I had to drop the extenders down an extra notch to reduce the pressure on top of the cups. I am thinking about putting a thin strip of weather stripping along the bottom of the earpads in back so they stick out a bit more at the bottom to see if this helps. So it would kind be like buying the angled earpads, would rather try this than take a risk on 3rd party earpads.

Jun 20, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #3,214 of 3,345
I see some discussion here about how they changed the headband and can confirm that there are 2 versions of the HP50. Here is a picture of both side-by-side:

I discuss the differences in the review I just posted for the HP50 (although it's a little late, since the HP50's are discontinued). The newer version has a more rounded headband as others have noted, but it also has much less creak. The old version is creaky enough for it to be a noticeable problem, and this is not the case with the new version (although there is some creak). The pads seem a little thicker on the newer version too, but I can't totally confirm that since they have different levels of use.

While this headphone was still in stock, it was heavily discounted from it's MSRP, about $100 off. At that price it was impossible to beat.

and a PSA: anyone modding their headphones should take care to not damage the serial number if they want to keep their warranty.

Wellll.... I’ll be...! I had never noticed that my pair don’t look as wide as the pictures I’ve seen (with the old headband)... looks like I’ve had the new style all along (and I bought them used on eBay in 2018)...

I have no problems with comfort, seal, or creaking, though, so perhaps the Frankenstein, original headband was ideal for normal heads and the new headband is for Frankenstein monster heads like mine? :D

FWIW, mine (bought from Audio Advisor on 2018-06-13) have the original ("Frankenstein") headband. I find them comfortable, but I am very tolerant as far as headphone comfort is concerned. I also do not think they creak particularly loudly.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #3,215 of 3,345
About pads

This post tells about my final decision for the NAD. Picture included.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/nad...rom-paul-barton.646735/page-199#post-13806978

They are nice looking earpads for sure and the leather looks like higher quality. I am finding the stock earpads at least on the newer version I have become very comfortable after about 20 minutes on my head. Once the memory foam takes shape the stock earpads are very comfortable for me even with my glasses on. It has been mentioned that the newer version with the rounder headband seems to have thicker memory foam. Perhaps this was done to improve the comfort with the change in the headband.

Those with the old version might consider ordering replacement earpads from NAD. If the foam is indeed thicker then this could solve the comfort issue to some extent.

I also added a strip of 1/4" thick weather stripping along back of the earpads at the bottom to see what would happen. I now find the seal is perfect, before when I turned my head left or right I would lose the seal at the bottom. After this little mod the seal is maintained no matter how I turn my head.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #3,217 of 3,345
They are not real leather but they are comfortable.

Yeah I figured as much given the price,real leather would cost quite a bit more, hard to tell from the pictures but it is nicer looking pleather at least. I would really want to be able to try 3rd party earpads first to see how they affect the sound. Don't really want to waste the money if they will alter the sound noticeably.

Jun 21, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #3,218 of 3,345
Yeah I figured as much given the price,real leather would cost quite a bit more, hard to tell from the pictures but it is nicer looking pleather at least. I would really want to be able to try 3rd party earpads first to see how they affect the sound. Don't really want to waste the money if they will alter the sound noticeably.

I did not notice them changing the sound. I think because they are similar enough in size to the stock ones. I only did it for comfort. I never change pads on any of my headphones if the stock are comfortable.

Jun 21, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #3,219 of 3,345
I am finding the stock earpads at least on the newer version I have become very comfortable after about 20 minutes on my head.

Honestly this sounds closer to NAD's approach to audio equipment. Meaning Apple approval is renowned for coming at cost of having terms dictated. Their involvement nearly turned me off these without a glance. Not to say I have any complaints about the stock earpads even after 3+ hours. Or actual Apple products and technologies provide low SQ.

Making real leather and higher quality foam a reality when the stock earpads wear out is very appealing to me. Even if it takes a month to break in before giving years of unchanged comfort after. Weight is going to be a large concern in that dream.

Jun 22, 2019 at 1:37 AM Post #3,220 of 3,345
I was going to have a look at that headphone after Zeos raved about it but went the HP50's.

Would you consider both the HP 50 and the NDH20 "warm" headphones? I mean I've heard "warm" used on both.

BTW, those hybrid cushions on Amazon that I linked back apparently are unavailable right now. :frowning2: They're the closest and I mean the CLOSEST to stock sound I've ever gotten that have breathable fabric.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N6GL2PG

They have these now and while they fit perfectly on the HP50, I feel they bring the sound just a tad too near the ear. Oddly enough, they're not really any thinner than the stock pads.

IMG_7179.JPG

My favorite pad is on the left and the new one is on the right.

IMG_7180.JPG

This is what the HP50 looks like with the thinner Krone Kalpasmos pads on.

Fortunately, overall the actual sound is very close to stock too.

Jun 22, 2019 at 3:10 AM Post #3,221 of 3,345
Honestly this sounds closer to NAD's approach to audio equipment. Meaning Apple approval is renowned for coming at cost of having terms dictated. Their involvement nearly turned me off these without a glance. Not to say I have any complaints about the stock earpads even after 3+ hours. Or actual Apple products and technologies provide low SQ.

Making real leather and higher quality foam a reality when the stock earpads wear out is very appealing to me. Even if it takes a month to break in before giving years of unchanged comfort after. Weight is going to be a large concern in that dream.

I doubt real leather and better memory foam would add much weight. I compare the HP50 to my B&W P5S2's which are all aluminium and metal parts with real sheepskin earpads. They are only slightly heavier than the HP50's and not uncomfortably heavy to wear. With real leather the cost goes way up, I mean B&W wants over 50$ for their replacement sheepskin earpads. You could probably buy 3 pairs of pleather earpads for that cost, of course you can't buy after market earpads for the B&W headphones because of the unique designs.

Jun 22, 2019 at 5:11 AM Post #3,222 of 3,345
Would you consider both the HP 50 and the NDH20 "warm" headphones? I mean I've heard "warm" used on both.

I have not heard the NDH20's but I would describe the HP50's as slightly warm. They were made to closely resemble the Harmon Target Response Curve which is to say they are pleasing to listen to.

The fact they are cheap is an added bonus.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2019 at 2:00 AM Post #3,224 of 3,345
If I'm not mistaken the replacement stock pads direct from NAD/supplier are very near $50 before shipping. Not to mention scarce already.

Weight might not actually be awful. Or I might screw that part up.

I have been debating about emailing NAD about replacement earpad costs. Being in the same country as NAD it might be cheaper for me. Exporting to other countries might be costly for NAD as they likely don't do much of that. If the price is rediculously high then I won't bother and just take care of mine the best I can, plus I have my backup pair.

I have to think they are holding back earpad stock for warranty purposes. If they just discontinued the HP50's recently then they still need to carry warranty stock. This could also be why they are charging so much to buy the pads.

Jun 23, 2019 at 3:46 AM Post #3,225 of 3,345
If I'm not mistaken the replacement stock pads direct from NAD/supplier are very near $50 before shipping. Not to mention scarce already.

Weight might not actually be awful. Or I might screw that part up.
Paid EUR 18 in Holland, so, not sure about USD 50 to be honest.

Just found original invoice I paid on 16-10-2018 which is EUR 17,51 include TAX

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back