NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Oct 20, 2017 at 2:45 AM Post #2,971 of 3,345
Oh my, I spoke too soon about these headphones. ...
:metal:

my rule of thumb: at least 50 hours of burn-in before jumping to _any conclusion about _any audio stuff, be it devices with moving parts (like headphones, earphones or speakers) or cables, amps.

btw the hp50 is still one great pair of headphones. i recently found an other sub-$300 headphone (meze 99) that matches the sound of the hp50's, but the nad's are still a solid pick in their price range, especially used, around 100 (usd or euro).

Oct 20, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #2,973 of 3,345
:metal:

my rule of thumb: at least 50 hours of burn-in before jumping to _any conclusion about _any audio stuff, be it devices with moving parts (like headphones, earphones or speakers) or cables, amps.

btw the hp50 is still one great pair of headphones. i recently found an other sub-$300 headphone (meze 99) that matches the sound of the hp50's, but the nad's are still a solid pick in their price range, especially used, around 100 (usd or euro).

Yea, I'm going to pick up an extra used pair and do some internal mods. I think for the price point, the HP50's are hard to beat.

Oct 20, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #2,974 of 3,345
Hi all,

Has anyone out there, by any chance tried out the Audiocadabra Ultimus 3 pure silver cable for NAD Viso HP50, or the Lavricable Reference Silver cable for the NAD Viso HP50?
If so, how good are they sonically, and how are they superior to the stock cable?
Any sonic disadvantages over stock cable?
Are they worth the expense?
Thanks for your help.

Oct 24, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #2,975 of 3,345
As good as the Viso HP50 sounds, I would love to see Paul Barton design and tune a top-of-the-line wired model from NAD or PSB, using more advanced driver technology, advanced driver housing, and ergonomics. I would also like to see a top-of-the-line open model designed by Barton...
Paul, are you listening?
As good as it already sounds, if the NAD Viso HP50 was overall alittle more dynamic, had about 2 or 3 more db above 10 kHz for alittle more air and upper harmonics, and a little more powerful, extended, and punchy bass, it would be exceptional.
I love the overall tuning of this headphone.
Just imagine what Barton could achieve if he used a beryllium driver similar to the Focal Utopia, or a Sennheiser HD800/S type driver...

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #2,976 of 3,345
As good as the Viso HP50 sounds, I would love to see Paul Barton design and tune a top-of-the-line wired model from NAD or PSB, using more advanced driver technology, advanced driver housing, and ergonomics. I would also like to see a top-of-the-line open model designed by Barton...
Paul, are you listening?
As good as it already sounds, if the NAD Viso HP50 had about 2 or 3 more db above 10 kHz for alittle more air and upper harmonics, and a little more powerful, extended, and dynamic bass, it would be exceptional.
I love the overall tuning of this headphone.
Just imagine what Barton could achieve if he used a beryllium driver similar to the Focal Utopia, or a Sennheiser HD800/S type driver...

I have the exact same thoughts when listening to Paul Bartonn in those panel discussions.
He has so much knowledge that he's accumulated, plus all that time he had excess to secret labs used for audio research in Canada.

He has to make a TOTL headphone!

I was kinda left scratching my head on this noise cancelling (hp70) project tbh.

Let's hope he sees this :D

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #2,977 of 3,345
I always loved Paul's PSB loudspeakers.
He designs and tunes them really well.
His newest ones are outstanding.
I owned some used PSB Stratus Gold's many years ago, and absolutely loved the sonics.
Yes, Paul's many, many years of experience researching, measuring, and designing top notch speakers, that measure extremely well, and recently headphones, would be the icing on the cake, if he decided to design a top notch audiophile headphone(s) down the road.
A top grade closed, as well as an all out open design would be great.
Let's hope he does, and let's hope it's a WIRED headphone(s), and not wireless, or noise cancelling! Lol.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #2,978 of 3,345
The more I listen to the HP50 the better the sound. It seems that many times when I first start listening the sound is a bit boxy, but it quickly fades away as the music plays. They seem to be some of the easier to drive cans I've tried.

I wear glasses and yes the fit is that of a snug on ear for me as well. I guess I've come to accept this as it doesn't seem to interfere with my enjoyment.

Oct 25, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #2,979 of 3,345
...if the NAD Viso HP50 had about 2 or 3 more db above 10 kHz for alittle more air and upper harmonics, and a little more powerful, extended, and dynamic bass...
that's basically what the meze 99 classics do. :ksc75smile: take the hp50, add a tighter, punchier bass and a bit more sparkle at the higher frequencies, and you have the meze's. i listened to them at a local meet-up, and i have to say that the last time i was so impressed by some mid-range cans was when i first listened to the hp50's. not a huge upgrade, i wouldn't sell the hp50 and spend on the meze, still, it's good to know that this neutral, slightly warm, still detailed sound is available on the market.

Oct 25, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #2,980 of 3,345
The more I listen to the HP50 the better the sound. It seems that many times when I first start listening the sound is a bit boxy, but it quickly fades away as the music plays. They seem to be some of the easier to drive cans I've tried.

I wear glasses and yes the fit is that of a snug on ear for me as well. I guess I've come to accept this as it doesn't seem to interfere with my enjoyment.

+1. The sound of them grows on you, and is awesome for a closed back headphone.
I actually preferred these to the Oppo PM-3.
While the PM-3's are more comfortable to wear, and are somewhat faster and more detailed in the mids and lower treble, I actually prefer the overall sound balance, bass through treble, of the NAD Viso HP50.
The NAD is more overall balanced to my ears.
The PM-3's sound even more subdued and rolled off in the top octave than the NAD to my ears, and the Oppo's really have no advantages in the bass to me either.
I know this goes against what most others say about the PM-3's, but I did extensively compare them, and my ears preferred the NAD's.
I agree that if Paul Barton ever designs a PSB or NAD audiophile grade WIRED headphone, he needs to try to keep most of the current 'Room Feel' tonal balance, while boosting the top end 2 or 3 db, and the sub bass as well, imho, while greatly emphasizing excellent measurements like the NAD Viso HP50 has, such as relatively smooth frequency response, impulse response, square wave responses, low distortion, etc.
And, I also think I do actually prefer the 'Room Feel' / Harman type frequency response curve over the much more common 'diffuse field' curve.
Finally, I also agree that comfort is one of the weaknesses of the HP50.
If Barton ever designs another top of the line headphone, or headphones, he needs to take this into account, and take a look at headphones such as Focal Utopia, Sony MDR- Z1R, Beyerdynamic T-1, Sennheiser HD800, etc., for ideas on earpad/headband comfort and design.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #2,981 of 3,345

I was unable to accept the fit with the stock pads but larger pads like the brainwavz just ruined the sound. While not technically larger, these (photo to follow) seem to alleviate the discomfort I have with the originals. They were sold on ebay as ath-msr7 pads (which I have tried and also liked better than stock) but I recognize them as being Sony v6/v7 pads. Same size as the ATH ones but they have this wrinkly squishy look which is pretty comfortable.

I also over time have gently (sometimes not so gently) relieved a bit of the clamp. I also did a bit of a mod to get rid of a plastic creaky sound from the cups. Links to that are somewhere in this thread.

Wearing them now straight out of my Cayin N3... wow... I have forgotten how nice these sound. I have way too many choices. Listening to Steve Wickham - Beekeeper. Beautiful.

In the photo the replacement pads are on. I put one of the original pads in the photo to show the difference. I think part of my problem with the original is the hard stitching along the edges... especially in the corners.

R0012850.JPG

Oct 25, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #2,983 of 3,345
that's basically what the meze 99 classics do. :ksc75smile: take the hp50, add a tighter, punchier bass and a bit more sparkle at the higher frequencies, and you have the meze's. i listened to them at a local meet-up, and i have to say that the last time i was so impressed by some mid-range cans was when i first listened to the hp50's. not a huge upgrade, i wouldn't sell the hp50 and spend on the meze, still, it's good to know that this neutral, slightly warm, still detailed sound is available on the market.

I have not listened to the meze's.

However, Tyll's measurements at Innerfidelity indicate that they start rolling off at 40hz, whereas the HP50s do not. Not saying that matters to everyone, but some looking for "extended" bass as daltonlanny described, that could be a problem. Particularly if one is into movie watching and wants that deep down to 20hz content.

I also want to say I'm with everyone else. It would be neat if Paul Barton would design a higher tier model, although I'm very happy with the NAD HP50 :)

Oct 25, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #2,984 of 3,345
Sadly, I had to return my HP50 for a refund. I could not get a proper seal with glasses, and the pads were too small for my ears. I admit though, it is a nice headphone for the price. It makes me wonder what they could do at the 500 dollar price level. I imagine it would be a giant killer. I ended up ordering the Focal Listen. I should have it in a couple days. It is great to see so many people enjoying their HP50.

Oct 26, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #2,985 of 3,345
I also tried the PSB M4U1, but slightly preferred the HP50, due to a somewhat smoother, and slightly more refined sound. The PSB was just a touch more strident, and alittle more shouty in the mids, imho.
The PSB did seem to slightly have more bass though.
I just recently ordered a 3 meter Lavricable pure silver cable for my NAD Viso HP50.
Should receive it in 2 or 3 weeks.
Can't wait to try it out :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back