NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Jul 19, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #2,942 of 3,345
Jul 19, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #2,943 of 3,345
Wow... amazing price. £170 here. Get them and tell us what you think. I do enjoy the sound of my NADs but have fought with the comfort for a year. Plus they had to be taken apart to to the tape fix for the creaking cups. I have posted a few pages back about that.

I wonder why there are two listings for the L2... one listing is the one you saw and another is $187..maybe you should grab that deal for $105...I would if I was still in the states...

If you hate them you can send them back.

I was confused by the listing too but it seems legit and is fulfilled by Amazon so it shouldn't been an issue. Unfortunately, I won't be able to return it since I am going to ask a friend to bring it over from States. Both the NAD and Fidelio are priced exorbitantly where I live ($400 for the NAD). So it seems worthwhile getting it from there.

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #2,944 of 3,345
Oh that changes things. Where are you located The Mezes are from a Romanian company... I wonder if you would have better prices from them. Also depending on where you are, the BossHiFi B8 are surprisingly good and I only paid £69. I have some expensive headphones and when I put these on I sometimes wonder why I have such expensive ones... Mine are the ones offered by KInden which is just a re badging of the BossHiFI B8. Got a free case with that.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Headphone-...=1500469829&sr=1-5&keywords=kinden+headphones

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOSSHIFI-...560731?hash=item41be003c5b:g:bY8AAOSw4A5Yosgt

Very positive impressions can be read on headfi especially in the Asian threads.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #2,945 of 3,345
I was confused by the listing too but it seems legit and is fulfilled by Amazon so it shouldn't been an issue. Unfortunately, I won't be able to return it since I am going to ask a friend to bring it over from States. Both the NAD and Fidelio are priced exorbitantly where I live ($400 for the NAD). So it seems worthwhile getting it from there.

don't forget, those Philips are semi open not closed... of course at that price you could get that and a BossHiFi!

Jul 21, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #2,946 of 3,345
So does anything beat the NAD VISO HP50 at $149 ( for the red variant)? Based on reviews , the VISOs were a good buy even at their original price of 299$. The only drawbacks being the comfort issue that some users faced and the 'dorky' headbands. Are they better than anything else in this price range? How do they stack up against any new entrants around the $300 mark?

For $149 you can’t do a better portable can than the ATH M50x. I’ve using the HP50s for a while but I don't like the creaky cups and rolled off high frequencies. I resisted the AT's for a long time because I thought they were hyped (which the are) - but IMO they’re no less accurate than the HP50’s - just in different ways...

Jul 21, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #2,948 of 3,345
The 50’s do have a hump around 60Hz, which can get annoying, but the sub bass is pretty tight and the mids don’t get affected. For $149 I’ll take that trade-off over the HP 50’s shortcomings. Like you said ymmv...

I tried the 40’s and liked their even sound - but for some reason the cups are just a tad smaller and the headband doesn’t have as much cushion ( I tried a few pairs)- I wear these ‘phones all day for work so that was a deal breaker. The weird thing is the cheaper 30’s are more comfortable - but for $99 the 40’s can’t be beat if someone finds them comfortable...

BTW, this is an NAD HP 50 thread so I don’t mean to derail into bashing the ‘phones. In their price range, I’d still recommend them because they do have many virtues and someone might really like them.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2017 at 5:13 AM Post #2,949 of 3,345
Hi,
I need a closed phone .... I prefer lot of isolation. Can anyone comment on that, maybe some comparison? I have only had Mr. Speakers Alpha prime closed phones. Very good at isolation ... looking for something similar in terms of isolation, but cheaper and possible to drive from phone.
Thanks for reading this.

(I listen to classical and jazz mainly)

cheers

Aug 9, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #2,951 of 3,345
Yes, those look so cool! Nice design and luxurious

How about the extra bass thing, not so sure about that ?

They sound great. The bass is not overdone...the correct amount is there when the music calls for it. They are not Beats. I personally had comfort issue plus I had to open them up and add tape to a certain spot to stop the sound of plastic creaking...all that is in my earlier posts. I can enjoy them now but my favorite closed are the Meze 99 Neo.

@torta the NADs are excellent for jazz and classical if they are comfortable for you. They are easy to drive. I would possibly suggest the BossHiFi B8 (also found with other branding such as Kinden). It costs only $80 (£65) on amazon. The sound quality was a big surprise to me. Many headfiers love this one.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/bosshifi-b8.22425/

IMG_0919.PNG

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #2,952 of 3,345
@torta the NADs are excellent for jazz and classical if they are comfortable for you. They are easy to drive. I would possibly suggest the BossHiFi B8 (also found with other branding such as Kinden). It costs only $80 (£65) on amazon. The sound quality was a big surprise to me. Many headfiers love this one.
Hm, yes I have seen this today when browsing. How is the isolation on these ... I need that foremost. Besides that I would prefer neutral sound signature or slightly warm.

Aug 9, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #2,954 of 3,345
Besides that I would prefer neutral sound signature or slightly warm.

How well do these isolate? Are these the same as wood versions ... they are cheaper and less posh.

Both the Bosshifi B8 and the Meze 99 Neo would be excellent for jazz and classical plus other genres as well. The Neo has the same drivers as the classic but it is a slightly cleaner sound with tighter more controlled bass than the Classic. The Neo and the Bosshifi are both neutral to slightly warm. I chose the Neo over the Classic becaused I liked the looks. I have heard the Classic ( I borrowed my husband's pair for a few days and then ordered the Neo). The Neo is a little more comfortable for me than the Bosshifi because it is lighter and the fit is just so easy on me. Both are more comfortable than the NAD for me but that is such an individual thing.

When you speak of isolation are you trying to not annoy others or do you need to block out loud noises? None of these would bother others. I would have to test if they block out loud noises. Isolation has never been important to me. I often listen to open headphones as well. You could ask in the Meze thread and for the Bosshifi go here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chinese-asian-brand-info-thread-on-or-over-ear-headphones.822184/

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #2,955 of 3,345
Both the Bosshifi B8 and the Meze 99 Neo would be excellent for jazz and classical plus other genres as well. The Neo has the same drivers as the classic but it is a slightly cleaner sound with tighter more controlled bass than the Classic. The Neo and the Bosshifi are both neutral to slightly warm. I chose the Neo over the Classic becaused I liked the looks. I have heard the Classic ( I borrowed my husband's pair for a few days and then ordered the Neo). The Neo is a little more comfortable for me than the Bosshifi because it is lighter and the fit is just so easy on me. Both are more comfortable than the NAD for me but that is such an individual thing.

When you speak of isolation are you trying to not annoy others or do you need to block out loud noises? None of these would bother others. I would have to test if they block out lond noises. Isolation has never been important to me. I often listen to open headphones as well. You could ask in the Meze thread and for the Bosshifi go here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chinese-asian-brand-info-thread-on-or-over-ear-headphones.822184/
I am referring to ambient sounds and noise. I would like to have some distance from ambient sounds. Similar to in ear monitors, but with the comfort of over ears headphones. I do have open headphones and a few iems, former sound good and spacious but don't isolate, later do isolate well but comfort is an issue.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back