NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Aug 19, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #2,958 of 3,345
Actually a dual entry cable can be attached. You can plug the supplied cable into either cup. Just to experiment I did plug in a dual entry cable and it worked fine. I don't think it made any difference to the sound and of course it was not actually an official balanced cable for a balanced amp.

nad_visohp50.jpg

Oct 17, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #2,960 of 3,345
Oct 18, 2017 at 4:56 AM Post #2,961 of 3,345
Hi all, can anyone suggest replacement pads for this HP? I've tried to back-read and the only suggestion I could find based on posts is the replacement pad for the MSR7. Any others? Thank you.

I tried Brainwavz velour pads and they were comfortable but totally ruined the sound. Possibly the Brainwavz hybrid pads would sound better but I don't know. You could try if comfort is your goal. I have them on my Fostex t50rp mk3 (sound and feel great) but they were so difficult to get on that I will not take them off to try on the NAD.

So, I have the MSR7 on and while they do not look to be much bigger they are just somehow more comfortable. Mine are the ebay ones from China. I don't know if the official ones would be better. Are you trying to get better comfort or do they simply need to be replaced due to age? If it is age then the MSR7 should be fine.

edited to add...just noticed you posted this nearly 3 months ago. This thread has not been very active.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #2,962 of 3,345
I should have my new NAD HP50 tomorrow. I also own the HE400i, which I upgraded to the Brainwavz Angled Pleather pads. I will put up my impression of the HP50, and I will also try my Brainwavz pads on them. As I do with every headphone I own, once I have the HP50 for a couple weeks, I will create my own EQ set for the NAD, and will post that here as well. Here is a link to the pads I have on my HE400i.

https://www.amazon.ca/Brainwavz-Rep...=UTF8&qid=1508348412&sr=1-3&keywords=hm5+pads

Oct 18, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #2,963 of 3,345
I tried Brainwavz velour pads and they were comfortable but totally ruined the sound. Possibly the Brainwavz hybrid pads would sound better but I don't know. You could try if comfort is your goal. I have them on my Fostex t50rp mk3 (sound and feel great) but they were so difficult to get on that I will not take them off to try on the NAD.

So, I have the MSR7 on and while they do not look to be much bigger they are just somehow more comfortable. Mine are the ebay ones from China. I don't know if the official ones would be better. Are you trying to get better comfort or do they simply need to be replaced due to age? If it is age then the MSR7 should be fine.

edited to add...just noticed you posted this nearly 3 months ago. This thread has not been very active.

I should have my new NAD HP50 tomorrow. I also own the HE400i, which I upgraded to the Brainwavz Angled Pleather pads. I will put up my impression of the HP50, and I will also try my Brainwavz pads on them. As I do with every headphone I own, once I have the HP50 for a couple weeks, I will create my own EQ set for the NAD, and will post that here as well. Here is a link to the pads I have on my HE400i.

https://www.amazon.ca/Brainwavz-Rep...=UTF8&qid=1508348412&sr=1-3&keywords=hm5+pads

I've always quite like my HP50's and recently knocked the dust off of them. The stock pads fit me, but they're snug and honestly not that comfy. So I started trying on some extra pads I've had lying around. First I tried the Brainwavz's Hybrids. They're extremely comfortable and open of the soundstage quite a bit. They really help with overall clarity and the upper-midrange/treble. However, bass quantity/impact is severely impacted. Next I tried on the Shure 1540 Alcantra pads. They honestly don't fit that well, but enough that they stay on. They're of course super comfortable. The impact on SQ is similar to the Hybrid pads, except the soundstage isn't quite as expanded and the bass isn't impacted as severely. Also I think due to the pad depth, both pads push the midrange slightly back. I'll have to put the stock pads back on to compare though to get a better feel. Honestly, both pads affect the low end a little too much for my taste. I've got some Angled Brainwavz I'm going to try on and see how they are. Might try a few other pads as well. I'll report back.

Oct 18, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #2,964 of 3,345

I hope you enjoy them. What color did you get?

Oct 19, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #2,966 of 3,345
Alright, I have been testing these headphones out the last couple hours. Here is the good news, and the bad news. This is a very good sounding pair of closed headphones for people who can get a proper fit. Sadly, the pads are absolutely tiny on my ears. It is even worse because I wear glasses. I do not get any pain or hot spots from the headband though, so that is a plus. However, these are literally on ear pads for me. I have no room at all, and can't get a proper seal. My solution was to take my HM5 Angled Pleather pads off my HE400i, and give that a try. Oh my, now we are talking !!!!!! I get a proper seal, and have tons of room for my ears to now frolic in. I had very little time using the stock pads, so I can not give a long description regarding the difference in sound going to the HM5 pads. Right away though, the soundstage with the HM5 pads has improved width and depth. Unfortunately though, the headphone sounds worse than with the stock pads. I can't use this headphone as intended, and I am literally forced to use a larger pad if I keep them. I knew the pads were compact, but I was shocked to see just how small they are in person. I guess I am going to have to return them, unless someone knows of a larger pad I can change to that will not destroy the sound signature of this headphone.

Edit: The headphone was straight out of the box, and the sound has changed. See my update below.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #2,967 of 3,345
I just put the Brainwavz Angled Pleather pads on mine and I'm actually really digging their sound. Very dynamic and the bass is vastly improved compared to the other pads I've tried so far. Bass is boosted slightly, but it's still pretty cohesive sounding and doesn't impede into the mids. Soundstage isn't quite as large and airy as the other pads, but that's fine with me. Also the top end looses some extension and sparkle, so it's a little darker sounding overall. I'm using them straight out of a Mojo.

I think the flat Brainwavz Pleather pads might be even better (because of less pad depth), so I ordered a pair. Until then I'll be leaving the Angled pads on for sure.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #2,969 of 3,345
Oh my, I spoke too soon about these headphones. That was a mistake putting up comments after only 4 hours of run time. Burn in time has made some changes to the sound. I just left music running through them for another solid 4 hours. The headphones would have 8 hours on them by now. I just tested them again, and there is a rather large improvement. Regarding the HM5 Pleather pads, there is certainly an improvement in soundstage width and depth compared to the stock pads. Obviously, this would be a result of the ear being a greater distance away from the driver. There is some additional upper treble energy that is added by using these pads. The upper treble roll off with the stock pads is no longer present. There is additional air, detail, and extension in the 12kHz to 16kHz range. Changes to the bass are noticeable as well. The sub bass is more extended, however, the mid bass hump is now no longer there. The bass is now completely flat right across. However, with the mid bass hump being reduced by the pads, there is also a reduction in the warm presentation in the mids with the stock pads.. I can certainly recommend this headphone with these pads. Regardless of that though, I am going to return my HP50 for something else. I will most likely get the B&0 H6. I want to get a headphone that is completely comfortable right out of the box, and that I won't have to mod from the first moment I try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back