NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Jun 23, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #3,226 of 3,345
Relevant, but that was a year ago and within the separate EU distribution chain. Parity could exist or it could not. In NA if you bought grey market or used without collecting proof of purchase NAD has quite firmly shut the door on attempts to buy them. So I'm thinking not.

Was reasonably sure someone in Canada stated the price mentioned either here or ?? fairly recently. For $20 it might be worth carefully unstitching and dissecting one of the old earpads. 2.25x that and I'll give myself a hand, Thank You very much.

Jul 19, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #3,227 of 3,345
Interesting review, the flaking on the earpads is troubling so i might contact email NAD after all to get some backup earpads. Makes me wary of wearing them outdoors as weather could speed the flaking.

Has anyone else who has had these for a while had flaking issues? I was disappointed to see the poor quality of the earpad leather and stitching quality. Especially with my P5S2's having sheepskin leather. Given the low quality of the leather NAD should have definitely made it easier to order additional earpads.

I am wondering if it would possible to maybe sew some higher quality leather over the existing leather on the earpads. This would also add some more padding. If I order some replacement earpads I might take a shot at trying this if I can find a seamstress who can do it.

I know you were asking other people but since I have 2 pairs of these headphones in front of me (mine and my friends), they both have the pleather flaking off.

There are $8 replacement pads available on Amazon that I bought. They are slightly thicker too which is better for comfort. They didn't change the sound in any noticeable way, although one reviewer disagrees. Here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R5NJF5W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jul 19, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #3,228 of 3,345
Let us know when someone in Asia starts shipping as good/better than stock earpads for this discontinued headphone reliably at an affordable retail price + shipping + customs duty/VAT.

ahem https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...n_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1#customerReviews

Be careful though. I wouldn't use these with any added foam mods as these are already thicker. I broke the headband on my HP50's from over-stressing them I think. Fortunately they have that 2 year warranty

Jul 23, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #3,229 of 3,345
Interesting review, the flaking on the earpads is troubling so i might contact email NAD after all to get some backup earpads. Makes me wary of wearing them outdoors as weather could speed the flaking.

Has anyone else who has had these for a while had flaking issues? I was disappointed to see the poor quality of the earpad leather and stitching quality. Especially with my P5S2's having sheepskin leather. Given the low quality of the leather NAD should have definitely made it easier to order additional earpads.

I am wondering if it would possible to maybe sew some higher quality leather over the existing leather on the earpads. This would also add some more padding. If I order some replacement earpads I might take a shot at trying this if I can find a seamstress who can do it.

Mine are flaking severely. In retrospect I would not buy these again. They sound good but the construction is just terrible, what with the creaking and now the flaking.

Sep 22, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #3,231 of 3,345
Dec 16, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #3,233 of 3,345
I have owned my HP50 for five years now and the pads are cracking. I find small black flakes on my ears and neck after wearing - cool!

I am pretty happy overall for five years of ownership. I haven't had any other issues with these headphones.

I may try that replacement set linked above from Amazon.

Jan 2, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #3,234 of 3,345
Got a new pair of ear pads today. Not a day to early! Bought mine at hifiklubben here in Sweden. Around 20€.

B8zkP1m.jpg

Wa4t0RN.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #3,235 of 3,345
This is going to sound completely bonkers. I stopped using my HP50's after I bought Ananda's and LCD2C's in 2018. This evening I wanted a project and decided to balance mod my HP50's so that it can use the same cables as my Ananda's. It took about an hour, but the results are simply nuts.

Instrument separation, detail, treble and even bass are worlds apart now. I use to think these headphones were a notch below the HD6XX in detail, but after the mod they're in the same league. This is using Audirvana, THX 789, Modi 3 and stock Ananda cables.

I'm still trying to pick my jaw up off the floor. I was eyeing a Aeon Flow 2 as a closed back upgrade, but honestly I don't see the point anymore. If you have a soldering iron and better 3.5mm cables, you NEED to try this. For sheer tuning, I prefer these over the Focal Elegia... it also gives them a run for their money hahaha.

Feb 22, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #3,236 of 3,345
If anyone is still paying attention to this mostly dead conversation.

Finding a replacement cable that didn't require modification to fit and make a solid connection inside the stepped socket anywhere between $ and $$$ appeared to be a lost cause in one way or another. Should anyone else have interest, this cable off Amazon met the following minimum requirements.

• Thin plugs that fit any and everything without interference
  • No inline volume or other features
  • Low Memory
  • Not microphonic
  • SQ at least equal to stock cord
  • Construction offering promising durability
  • $ after taxes/shipping/etc
  • Widely available should more be desired
61HPRBXM-sL._SL1000_.jpg

Feb 23, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #3,239 of 3,345
If anyone is still paying attention to this mostly dead conversation.

Finding a replacement cable that didn't require modification to fit and make a solid connection inside the stepped socket anywhere between $ and $$$ appeared to be a lost cause in one way or another. Should anyone else have interest, this cable off Amazon met the following minimum requirements.

• Thin plugs that fit any and everything without interference
  • No inline volume or other features
  • Low Memory
  • Not microphonic
  • SQ at least equal to stock cord
  • Construction offering promising durability
  • $ after taxes/shipping/etc
  • Widely available should more be desired
61HPRBXM-sL._SL1000_.jpg
Really? You struggled to find replacement cables? O.o every generic cable ive thrown at it has fit lol. Way more managable than my previous main hp, denon ah mm400

Feb 23, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #3,240 of 3,345
Really? You struggled to find replacement cables? O.o every generic cable ive thrown at it has fit lol. Way more managable than my previous main hp, denon ah mm400

I did specifically mention a step down to the Amazon/Aliexpress direct from factory brands. At which point quality in general becomes questionable and what qualities can be even be had more so. Certainly not at a loss for choices down there either. Most incapable of working without grinding down the connector end (plastic surround and butt end of metal 3.5mm male plug!!)

It would be most appreciated and considered instructive of you to mention what "budget" cable produced the best SQ in your estimation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back